Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 09:19 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,874,491 times

Advertisements

I KNEW this was in Jersey, but I was just surprised anywhere in the country still had attendants. I thought those went out years ago everywhere.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 09:38 AM

88,673 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I KNEW this was in Jersey, but I was just surprised anywhere in the country still had attendants. I thought those went out years ago everywhere.

Don
Two states, NJ and Oregon, ban self-serve gas stations by law.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:47 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,347,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Congratulation for bringing up "I want to pump my own gas" thread . It's been almost a month since the last time and I am sure everybody whants to chime in on this for the umpteenth time.
It has been a while

Quote:
I think it's silly that we can't pump our own gas in NJ. I also find there's often a wait at most gas stations, at least in northern NJ. There's one attendant managing several pumps and I can't stand waiting. I'll be the first to admit I am irrationally impatient in this regard, as I am generally patient in all other aspects of my life. But I figured out a very simple solution years ago. Since most pumps these days accept credit cards, if there's a wait, I just do it myself. If the guy doesn't come over in a few minutes, I'll get out and start the process, or I'll remove the nozzle if it's done pumping and he's taking too long to come over. I sometimes get strange looks from the attendants, but none of them seem to care since they're generally speaking on their cell phone. I'm making their job a little easier and I am less frustrated. I don't expect I'll get a visit from the gas pump police anytime soon.
Am I the only resident who LOVES having an attendant pump gas for her? And obviously I live in the land of "no lines at the gas station", so I am doubly happy

Old 04-10-2014, 10:12 AM

88,673 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
It has been a while

Am I the only resident who LOVES having an attendant pump gas for her? And obviously I live in the land of "no lines at the gas station", so I am doubly happy
Of course not. As someone said, this thread or its twin gets revived every month or so, and if you read them, you'll see that plenty of us prefer to have our gas pumped and manage to find gas stations that don't have these painful long lines.

Some of it is timing. If you go to the gas station before or after normal work hours, well, don't complain if there are lines. It's the same as going to the supermarket on a Saturday morning and whining because it's crowded.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:39 AM

When self serve gas stations first came out I hated them, same with the self serve check out lines at grocery stores. But after having them around for so long I actually prefer pumping my own gas and I always head for the self serve counter at the grocery store.

One reason I like the self serve stations is that I have one car that a drop of gas on the body would ruin the paint job, so I always put a paper towel over the nozzle as I am putting the nozzle over the car and then taking it back out. I would never let someone else put gas in it.

Don

Old 04-10-2014, 10:40 AM

255 posts, read 536,284 times
This ban is about the only thing jersey government does right. I hate pumping my own gas.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:28 AM

7,222 posts, read 11,945,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrumpster View Post
This ban is about the only thing jersey government does right. I hate pumping my own gas.

I'm in my mid-40s and have never pumped my own gas ever.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:09 PM

527 posts, read 1,410,411 times
So from stop at the pump, attandant pumped, filled the tank, paid, left

in 5 min

and you are complaining, because you can do it in 3 min., yourself

What, you normally get gas at the NASCAR pits?
Geez

Old 04-10-2014, 02:51 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,770,291 times
I would get so impatient I would do it myself.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:00 PM

Is the logic behind those couple of States that will not allow you to pump your own gas one of liability ? If so, how do they think the other 48 States survive with pump your own gas stations ? Makes no sense. The people in the other 48 can't be THAT much smarter than in NJ.

I would go nuts if I had to sit there while the guy pumped gas into 10 other cars. Here I zip in and out in a couple of minutes tops.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey