Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 01:08 AM

127 posts, read 311,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
I've come to understand that many, many people in NJ project their negative personal attributes, feelings about themselves, general attitude about life on the Garden State.
I've come to the conclusion we are almost trained by the NY media to feel bad about the place we come from. We have to justify who we are constantly. It becomes an easy out for explaining your personal anguish (whatever that may be).
In turn, all of the miserable individuals that reside in NJ are able to say "Hey, It's not me. It's NJ! Yea, that's it. That's what is wrong. I'm okay. It's NJ, not me. It could NEVER BE ME!". It's a way to not take a good, long, hard look in the mirror & realize that most of the people around you are living & enjoying life.

Just take a look at the general tone in all of the posts with regard to the usual suspects who bash NJ in this forum. Notice anything? It becomes quite telling when you see the trend.
What an awesome post and so TRUE TOO!

Old 11-18-2009, 02:26 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,025,900 times
As someone who moved from NJ to Adelaide (AUS), to Toronto and now to NH -- I could easily move back to NJ and be happy. Many things I miss about it -- the people included. The grass is not always greener across the border.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:59 PM

593 posts, read 1,661,568 times
Quote:
I've come to understand that many, many people in NJ project their negative personal attributes, feelings about themselves, general attitude about life on the Garden State.
I've come to the conclusion we are almost trained by the NY media to feel bad about the place we come from. We have to justify who we are constantly. It becomes an easy out for explaining your personal anguish (whatever that may be).
In turn, all of the miserable individuals that reside in NJ are able to say "Hey, It's not me. It's NJ! Yea, that's it. That's what is wrong. I'm okay. It's NJ, not me. It could NEVER BE ME!". It's a way to not take a good, long, hard look in the mirror & realize that most of the people around you are living & enjoying life.

Just take a look at the general tone in all of the posts with regard to the usual suspects who bash NJ in this forum. Notice anything? It becomes quite telling when you see the trend.
Sorry, man. I'm not miserable. I'm honest. I can't tell you something that I haven't seen. If my experiences were different, then I would tell you. For real, you can all say whatever you want about the bashing of New Jersey but there's some truth to it. If 100 people are saying the same exact thing and they LIVE here, then there MUST be some sort of truth to it. A lot of you guys that make these "I love New Jersey" threads say the same old things. "We got beaches, we got highways, we got snow, we got people that are the best in the world". SO WHAT? You can't seem to invalidate the negative statements about Jersey because it's true. The only explanation you guys give me to why lots of people are the way they are over is "Jersey people are more straight forward". PLEASE. That doesn't excuse bad behavior and IT NEVER WILL. If you act rude, don't be all surprised when somebody puts you in your place. Yeah, I do have issues but so do the people around me. It's that the difference between me and them is that I don't take my issues out on those around me.

A lot of people don't HATE New Jersey just for the sake of hating something or because they're mad at something in life so they're taking it out on a state. There's just some things that happen here that aren't right which I don't understand and can't be explained.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:23 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,964,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
Sorry, man. I'm not miserable. I'm honest. I can't tell you something that I haven't seen. If my experiences were different, then I would tell you. For real, you can all say whatever you want about the bashing of New Jersey but there's some truth to it. If 100 people are saying the same exact thing and they LIVE here, then there MUST be some sort of truth to it. A lot of you guys that make these "I love New Jersey" threads say the same old things. "We got beaches, we got highways, we got snow, we got people that are the best in the world". SO WHAT? You can't seem to invalidate the negative statements about Jersey because it's true. The only explanation you guys give me to why lots of people are the way they are over is "Jersey people are more straight forward". PLEASE. That doesn't excuse bad behavior and IT NEVER WILL. If you act rude, don't be all surprised when somebody puts you in your place. Yeah, I do have issues but so do the people around me. It's that the difference between me and them is that I don't take my issues out on those around me.

A lot of people don't HATE New Jersey just for the sake of hating something or because they're mad at something in life so they're taking it out on a state. There's just some things that happen here that aren't right which I don't understand and can't be explained.
If you say so chief..................

Old 11-18-2009, 10:37 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,887,137 times
People from N.J.are rude, and honest (it comes with the package) and we're proud of it too.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:53 PM

195 posts, read 492,122 times
Quote:
Your marketing & promotion scheme sucks then. Hate is what comes across to many, many NJ citizens.
I have concerns about the states future as well, but you "off put" me instantly with your title. It invites the ignorant a free for all type attitude.
Might be time for a marketing 101 book! You're alienating a vast majority of your target audience.
I think you may be on to something. See, the title was supposed to be something of a play on the titles of the movies 'Escape from New York' and 'Escape From L.A.'; done in a tongue in cheek manner. Perhaps a humorous title graphic with Snake Plissken running for his life, with the stern visages of Corzine and Christie Whitman in the background, staring ahead menacingly, would help to convey the mood.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:57 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,964,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Chin View Post
I think you may be on to something. See, the title was supposed to be something of a play on the titles of the movies 'Escape from New York' and 'Escape From L.A.'; done in a tongue in cheek manner. Perhaps a humorous title graphic with Snake Plissken running for his life, with the stern visages of Corzine and Christie Whitman in the background, staring ahead menacingly, would help to convey the mood.
Nope........................ The people of the Great Garden State are a rough & tumble bunch until you disparage where we come from. We argue for hours, fight & then make up. However, NJ gets enough of that uninformed, provincial, if nothing else fits, make up the stereotypes as you go along crap from the right side of the Hudson media as it is (look at any of the NYC snark blogs & tell me I'm lying. Check out "Gothamist"). The New Yorker is about as obnoxious to NJ as a publication could be without diving into tabloid. Check out the NY Post, Daily News on any given morning & see if they don't play into those roles (which have dived into tabloid status a long time ago).
NJ is quick witted & understands your points, but also understands that everyone else does not.
The rest of the U.S Of A. believes 100% what Saturday Night Live, Jay Leno, MTV & the rest of the "center of the universe" media tells them to believe.
Quiet is kept, for all of the outrageous prices we pay in New Jersey (and it is outrageous), it is one of the best standards of living in the nation.
Full frontal assault will never, ever work with NJ citizens. Kid gloves are in order.
I won't tell you to stop speaking on the things you feel are right. I just think you are the worst judge of a marketing environment I have ever seen.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:35 PM

48 posts, read 139,568 times
Face it if you had a choice and money wasn't an issue, would you choose NJ to live? I doubt it. If you say yes then I say "how unimaginative". North Jersey is just another dump like Staten Island and south jersey is just pigmy pine forest. Do you really think that the pigmy pine forest is aesthetic? It's just flat terrain with alot of ugly looking pine trees crowded together inhibiting you so you can't see very far. the only thing the south jersey soil is good for is growing cranberries (in a bog). Remember Kean's commercial "NJ and you perfect together"-- what a joke that is--he should have been doing that commercial while standing next to some medical waste washed up on LBI. I've been stuck in NJ a long time so I think I have the right to these observations. south jersey is what it has always been --Philadephia's b-tch.

I still cannot understand how that golf course built on a toxic waste dump in Hoboken was made to be a stop on the PGA tour. I guess its the idea ($'s) that you can attract every piece of human garbage from the metro area. I wouldn't step foot on that surface. the south jersey courses are mostly bugwackitville. that piece of junk in tuckerton is really pathetic. I guess when you live in jersey you just lower your expectations. even north jersey courses like baltisrol and canoe brook are extremely overrated. One day at the Dunes in florida and you won't hit another ball in jersey. Pennsylvania has some nice tracts though with such rich green surfaces like Arnie's old stomping grounds (Latrobe).

Old 11-19-2009, 12:47 PM

48 posts, read 139,568 times
Default moving to NJ

I know florida well and lived there in my youth. florida is 1000 times better (especially the sw) than NJ. wait until Jan or Feb and you see the hassle commuting in the cold with the limited (compared to NY) public transportation. Whenever I go to florida I meet so many ex jersyans who are just so happy to be in sunny flor-eye-da and out of that arm pit we call NJ. anyway best of luck in whatever decision you make but please don't make the mistake of romanticizing NJ. That's the last state I would romanticize. sometimes its kind to be cruel and I'm just calling it for what it is. NJ--high real estate taxes and a hassle commuting. do some real groundwork before you make a move

I am in San Francisco right now. Spent most of my life in Florida, but was born in NY. I have no desire to ever live in Florida again. It's just not for me.

I like the proximity of NJ. NY, Phili, D.C., Boston -- all a train ride away. I'm a little bummed that you think NJ is a "big nothing." I've been there several times and have done a ton of research on the area. Blueberry fields, rivers, mountains, beaches, etc. There are farmer's markets galore with fresh produce. You can be in the middle of nowhere in nature and then 30 minutes later be in Atlantic City. For an adventurous girl like myself, I don't think that's a whole lot of nothing.

"It sounds like your not in Fla. now but given a choice I'd opt to transition back to Fla. It's such a pretty place to be and you have family there (sunshine all year round also is great) NJ is a big nothing. Being close to Philadephia is nothing to feel good about. Philadelphia is just a slum. If you really like the northeast then why not just move directly to NYC or one of its boroughs. Most NJ residents become day trippers commuting to NYC anyway."[/quote]

Old 11-19-2009, 04:41 PM

173 posts, read 818,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
You guys love to pick fights that you can't win. What the hell I ever did to you guys huh? If you can't read, that's fine. But don't start dissing and belittling me.
I read your post and liked it. Those people in the Verizon store=jerks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey