Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 01:39 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,399,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
but aren't you going in the opposite direction? meaning, don't you go 78W in the AM and 78E in the PM? Of course you wouldn't see out of state plates then.
I am able to see cars on the opposite side of the road. I mean - is it that hard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 01:44 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
I am able to see cars on the opposite side of the road. I mean - is it that hard?
you really look at plates coming from the other direction? really? why not keep your eyes in front of you?

Old 08-05-2014, 01:45 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
Quote:
i almost reear-ended a guy this morning who decided that he was going too fast while merging (50mph) onto 78 in union/springfield, so as he merged, he slowed down to 40mph. i was already up to 50, and had to decide between:

A. swerve onto shoulder where a towncar just decided to pull off of the highway and stop (literally right after the on ramp ends)
B. sandwich in between the guy who slowed down and another guy who was not moving over to let people merge.
C. Pray.
you were probably looking at license plates from the other direction

Old 08-05-2014, 01:46 PM

18,463 posts, read 15,242,796 times
Quote:
i guess it really depends on the person. To this day, when I switch from a large vehicle to a small vehicle, there's a period where I just have to adapt to the differences. I grew up in a household with a crazy father from a driving point of view. He's a CDL and has to take defensive driving classes annually even though he doesn't drive the trucks much anymore. So, i've had it drilled into my head to constantly be checking my side and rearview mirrors (never know what's coming up behind you). "First move forward" is safest in a parking lot, which is why you should always back into a parking space. Anyways - I learned to drive in a Jeep Cherokee AND a Pontiac Bonneville. Neither are that large or small. I would be hesitant to give a large SUV type vehicle to a teenager. It's just so much to navigate when turning, parking, changing lanes, etc. More blind spots. I dunno.

I'm years away from deciding, but I've always though a nice mid size sedan with plenty of visibility is the best vehicle to be driving at most ages. especially younger.
I was thinking I will probably give her my current SUV when she gets her license. By that time, I will be about ready for a new one. It is really, really big but has all kinds of safety features to avoid the types of things you are talking about. It not only gives you a rear camera view, but also gives you a birds eye view of the car, the surrounding area, and the direction the tires are pointed, and color flashes and beeps when you come within about 2 feet of something. It's really cool, and you would actually have to be trying to hit something. This makes it really easy to park. It also has blind spot detection and collision detection.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:22 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,673 times
One thing I won't talk smack on Jersey are the drivers, and out here in LA us Jersey transplants we don't have a bad rap either, IMHO. Driving in NJ teaches you to be defensive, especially in weather elements.

Plus I will say that NJ drivers are better than PA, MD, & MA....oh god especially MA.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:23 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,239,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Don't even think about starting that stuff! We're not gonna take it!
Why not? Everyone claims that they don't speed, so this would either confirm or rebut that! No more speeding tickets, with their points & fines. Just surcharges. NJSP could just respond to crashes & DWI complaints. You could lay off half of Troop D & save millions.
Can't wait for driverless cars to be mandatory!

Old 08-06-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
you really look at plates coming from the other direction? really? why not keep your eyes in front of you?
I'll give you a little trick:

If there's a plate on the front of a vehicle in the NJ area - it's either NJ or NY, not PA or DE. So, it doesn't take much looking to see if cars have plates on the front, and if they do, if they are yellow, or white with blue on them.

My eyes are always moving. In front of me, to the mirrors, to what's going on around me. I look to the left and to the right to make sure there's no deer or other critters, etc.

Keeping eyes only in front of you? Because then how do you know what's going on around you?

Old 08-06-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I was thinking I will probably give her my current SUV when she gets her license. By that time, I will be about ready for a new one. It is really, really big but has all kinds of safety features to avoid the types of things you are talking about. It not only gives you a rear camera view, but also gives you a birds eye view of the car, the surrounding area, and the direction the tires are pointed, and color flashes and beeps when you come within about 2 feet of something. It's really cool, and you would actually have to be trying to hit something. This makes it really easy to park. It also has blind spot detection and collision detection.
honestly - all this tech in a car freaks me out. I've gotten used to the backup camera.

You have an Infinity, right? Does it have the brake assist? I'm sure 14 years from now when my first is driving, that stuff will be in most cars. But if not, I definitely want my kids to have brake assist, adaptive cruise control, blind spot detection, and airbags everywhere (side airbags - i can't understand why any car lacks them these days - i'll never buy a car without them again).

Old 08-06-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Why not? Everyone claims that they don't speed, so this would either confirm or rebut that! No more speeding tickets, with their points & fines. Just surcharges. NJSP could just respond to crashes & DWI complaints. You could lay off half of Troop D & save millions.
Can't wait for driverless cars to be mandatory!
hadn't really though about that. i kinda agree. if you want to speed, just pay a massive surcharge, and free up cops to do more important QOL stuff.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:11 PM

18,463 posts, read 15,242,796 times
Quote:
honestly - all this tech in a car freaks me out. I've gotten used to the backup camera.

You have an Infinity, right? Does it have the brake assist? I'm sure 14 years from now when my first is driving, that stuff will be in most cars. But if not, I definitely want my kids to have brake assist, adaptive cruise control, blind spot detection, and airbags everywhere (side airbags - i can't understand why any car lacks them these days - i'll never buy a car without them again).
Yeah, Infiniti QX80. It has brake assist. I got to try it out the other night when that car I mentioned earlier, slammed on his brakes on the highway. It knew I was making an emergency stop, and the car took over and stopped safely. My favorite feature is the bird's eye view though. If you have never seen it, you should check it out. Makes it near impossible to hit anything or anyone when pulling out forward or backward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey