Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 07:21 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times

Advertisements

When I first saw this forum thread I thought there was no way anyone could answer this accurately because the real answer belongs with individuals and individual life experiences. Its kind of like asking if it will rain 3 Tuesdays from now. Anyway I think it all depends and much on future experiences so its hard to quantify. Many of us have heard of the town but that doesn't help form any honest opinion that wouldn't be based on stereotypes and that wouldn't be fair to anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 06:31 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ematarese View Post
Is Columbia NJ across from Stroudburg, PA and on Rt 80 LGBT friendly?
In Millburn you shop at Short Hills Mall. In Columbia you shop at Truckstops of America. Conclude what you want. Columbia does have nice views of the Delaware Water Gap. Whenever I play poker in Pennsylvania I stop at the McDonalds on exit 4. If you like trees, I mean lots of trees, then Columbia is for you.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:05 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
The sage advice about NJ continues in the tradition found in this 1940's college Georgraphy book.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:21 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
My sister is not far over the state line in the Poconos. She and her S.O. are pretty conservative--BUT they just attended a wedding--and her S.O. did most of the cooking for it--of two guys who live in their neighborhood. So even the country folk are not as scary as you might imagine.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:54 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
Yeah that's what I mean, you can't accurately generalize how individuals are going to be.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:06 PM

300 posts, read 438,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
The sage advice about NJ continues in the tradition found in this 1940's college Georgraphy book.

I belive that article is talking about the pine barens in south jersey. Columbia is north jersey, just south of the DWG.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:13 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu4u View Post
I belive that article is talking about the pine barens in south jersey. Columbia is north jersey, just south of the DWG.
The point was that the stereotype of NJ's rural areas being populated by ignorant toothless hicks is not a new one, whether you're talking about the pines of South Jersey or the mountains of North Jersey.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:23 PM

I haven;t visited the eara in 20 years. So I'm not sure of recent changes. 25 years ago I purchaed 4 arcers of riverview land in portland PA which is on the other side of the columbia brigde. I was planning to l build a small home and plant an orchard. However, upon careful condiseration I, began to feel that aera was too isolated and too long a comunte to my work and the airport. I sold the land and luckily broke even.
My advise would be spend some time in the erea. Go out to lunch. Go to the gorecy store. Walk the streets. I think columbia and blevidere have alot of instrintic charm. The land scape is pretty special, lovely all four seasons with trees medows hills and the Deleware river. Interesting old homes too. The locations are good and I'm surprised the area is not a hot place for city escapees. Maybe it's changing. At the time the area had a decided "rural"vibe. Look at demogrampic stats for household income and level of education. Not much in the way of progressive culture. I wouldn't say it was gay-unfriendly. Just not alot of of the cultural stuff normally assoicated with gay-friendly communites--good dining, organic food, fun shops, music and thearter, art gallaries, pilates and yoga. If you want that type of community look at New Hope PA, also on the Deleware or the NJ towns drectly across from New Hope. Freanch town, Lanbertvile.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
The point was that the stereotype of NJ's rural areas being populated by ignorant toothless hicks is not a new one, whether you're talking about the pines of South Jersey or the mountains of North Jersey.
You kwon that north Jersey and south Jersey are two differt states, right? North Jersey is obiviously superior.

Last edited by blu4u; 08-07-2014 at 09:22 PM..

Old 08-08-2014, 07:31 AM

3 posts, read 3,488 times
Columbia is right next to Blairstown, where I've lived for a year and change. No one will probably ever bother you. It's very picturesque out here. I hope you enjoy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey