Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 06:19 PM

3 posts, read 12,168 times

Advertisements

I will be working near Morristown, and am looking for places to live.
I'm single, no kids, still enjoy going out at night, so naturally was looking closer to nyc. I liked the waterfront in Jersey City, but is that just going to be a crazy distance to commute every day?
I've heard that Morristown itself is pretty fun, but honestly, how quickly will it get old?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 06:26 PM

708 posts, read 1,060,075 times
I think living close to Morristown would be ok for a single person. The younger people at work go to clubs in Morristown. There are things to do there.But NYC is close enough for frequent trips. If you decide to move to JC, your commute might not be so terrible,going west when everyone else is coming east. Good luck with your move!

Old 08-27-2014, 08:08 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
i'd live in morristown. commute from JC to Morristown would be god awful unless you can work odd hours (go in earlier, leave earlier). especially with the pulaski construction going on right now for the next 2 years.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:59 PM

25 posts, read 44,427 times
BRADY is right on that,insofar as Pulaski. 18 months, to at least 2 more years left to go until that is implemented.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:30 PM

882 posts, read 1,670,606 times
Morristown has around 45 liquor licenses issued right now, pretty good for a town with a pretty small business district. The downtown movie theater, performing arts center, and other cultural institutions are there too. At least during the summer, there seem to be affluent young people out at all hours every day. Seems like very restaurant has a sidewalk cafe and they're always full if the weather is decent. Obviously it's not in the same class as NYC, but if you just want some nice bars/clubs for nights out, Morristown is fine. I'm not sure how many bars downtown JC or Hoboken have, but I also can't see needing more than a dozen or so too keep-up a lively bar-hopping routine. It doesn't have the coffee scene of a JC, though Drip is ok. Also the local pizza places are a bit disappointing. However, Morristown also has better access to outdoor activities. The local co-ed sports leagues are pretty popular. Morristown has lots of new construction luxury rentals, a lot go for around 2000/1 bed...so not cheap, but better than JC.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:42 PM

191 posts, read 394,163 times
Morristown has alot of good bars and clubs if your looking to go out alot.Also the train runs in town so your not limited to morristown.Dovers not far away and has some descent clubs.Also morristowns not far from newark/elizabeth area which also hosts tons of nightlife.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugashane View Post
Morristown has alot of good bars and clubs if your looking to go out alot.Also the train runs in town so your not limited to morristown.Dovers not far away and has some descent clubs.Also morristowns not far from newark/elizabeth area which also hosts tons of nightlife.
You list Dover, Elizabeth, and Newark in the same paragraph as Morristown regarding nightlife. Perhaps not all NJ people are as sheltered and uptight as our reputations.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:25 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times
I used to commute from Jersey City to Bridgewater during normal rush hour times. It really wasn't all that bad because it was going in the opposite direction of most commuters. It would take me about 45 minutes each way. It was a straight shot down I-78. Now to get from JC to Morristown I assume you would take 78 to 24. You shouldn't have any problems on 78 in general, I'm just not sure how much traffic you would hit on 24 since I never go that way. The Pulaski Skyway project really shouldn't affect you if you're taking 78. You can get on 78 at Grand St. in Jersey City so you wouldn't be anywhere near the Skyway.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:35 AM

The 24 merge with 78 is usually backed up going eastbound I'm the evening.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:42 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I used to commute from Jersey City to Bridgewater during normal rush hour times. It really wasn't all that bad because it was going in the opposite direction of most commuters. It would take me about 45 minutes each way. It was a straight shot down I-78. Now to get from JC to Morristown I assume you would take 78 to 24. You shouldn't have any problems on 78 in general, I'm just not sure how much traffic you would hit on 24 since I never go that way. The Pulaski Skyway project really shouldn't affect you if you're taking 78. You can get on 78 at Grand St. in Jersey City so you wouldn't be anywhere near the Skyway.
24 is brutal when i have taken it. i commute from West Orange to Morristown now. but used to commute to Warren. Now that I'm back on the Morristown commute, I'll be taking 24 v(when Waze tells me to) to 287s. it's the 24 & 287N merge lane that gets backed up, usually quite a bit. So you sometimes just deal with trying to get past all the idiots who stay in the left lane as long as possible before being a douche and trying to cut into the right lane in front of 100 cars lined up already. if someone doesn't let them in, then the left lane becomes a standstill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey