Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 12:27 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
My parents were stereotypical neurotic Jews that would have mortgaged their house if it meant getting a good SAT score.
LOL! I had blue-collared parents who didn't go to college. If my dad were alive he probably would've sniffed one out, since I always got a "you got a 98? why not 100?" every time I brought home a test. I shudder to think of the wrath inflicted on me if he were around and I showed him what I actually got on the SAT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 12:35 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,013,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelairProspect View Post
Me too. And then we couldn't afford Kaplan. Can easily see how the wealthy make a Kaplan course as standard pratice.

Hate to say it but I'm budgeting for exactly this when the time comes.
Of course I will too. But this goes back to my point, the wealthy have advantages that the non wealthy do not. This is why as much as lots of folks despise any type of affirmative action, its still needed. Too many good students out there that could rise to the occasion, IF they were given an opportunity.

Another thing to consider about the advantages of wealthy parents. How many of these kids get through high school by the pressure discipline from their wealthy/educated parents and skate to a lower tier institution, lets say a Kean, Felician, TCNJ, Rider, Monmouth etc. The parents preach "you have to go to college" and the kids do "go to college" and the wealthy parents cut the checks. How many kids from not wealthy parents are just as good academically, but can't continue their secondary education, because they dont have rich parents with a big house to support them while paying their college education? Where is that factored into the rankings? They end up trying to go to a community college and can't manage going to school and working a full time job to pay for said college, life gets in the way and now they are a statistic. How many kids from a solid mediocre HS say ranked 200, doesnt go to college because of financial issues? I bet a lot.

This also plays into the editors note about kids still being in college after 18 months. How many of the wealthy students above are "forced to go to college" becuase they are 16/17 and their parents demand they go. Then after a year or two in college are adult enough to tell their folks college aint for me and drop out?

Old 09-05-2014, 12:36 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,013,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
How/why did East and South Brunswick increase so much in the rankings in just 2 years?
East/South Bruns has a LARGE east/south asian population. I always thought they were ranked low, looks like this has been fixed this go around.

I suspect Monroe and North Brunswick to make similar jumps in subsequent years.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:39 PM

165 posts, read 351,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
My parents were stereotypical neurotic Jews that would have mortgaged their house if it meant getting a good SAT score.

Um, hilarious.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:16 PM

For those moving to or within NJ, where school is top priority, question is what's the threshold? Top 10,20,50,100?

Old 09-05-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
For those moving to or within NJ, where school is top priority, question is what's the threshold? Top 10,20,50,100?
I can only speak for myself. My kids are not Honors students (I have one in an AP class this year, but otherwise they are straight A-/B+ college prep students). What I like about our district is the influence - kids overall want to do well and push themselves, but it's not an insanely competitive environment like Millburn/Montgomery, which would not be good for my kids (we were ranked 11 in the latest NJ Monthly, FWIW). It's enough competition to be healthy, not obsessed. If you've got a highly motivated student, there's no reason why they can't excel in a top 100-150 even 200 school (when you get to the real bottom of the list, there's things like safety issues). If you've got kids like mine (lol) who do well but aren't at the top, I like a good environment where the kids have goals - good peer pressure if you will. I'm not sure where the threshold for that is in the list however - top 50-75?

Just to point out that any ranking is subjective, but people in NJ who have been here a long time know about most schools and whether they are "good" or not.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I can only speak for myself. My kids are not Honors students (I have one in an AP class this year, but otherwise they are straight A-/B+ college prep students). What I like about our district is the influence - kids overall want to do well and push themselves, but it's not an insanely competitive environment like Millburn/Montgomery, which would not be good for my kids (we were ranked 11 in the latest NJ Monthly, FWIW). It's enough competition to be healthy, not obsessed. If you've got a highly motivated student, there's no reason why they can't excel in a top 100-150 even 200 school (when you get to the real bottom of the list, there's things like safety issues). If you've got kids like mine (lol) who do well but aren't at the top, I like a good environment where the kids have goals - good peer pressure if you will. I'm not sure where the threshold for that is in the list however - top 50-75?

Just to point out that any ranking is subjective, but people in NJ who have been here a long time know about most schools and whether they are "good" or not.
And what may that district be?

Old 09-05-2014, 03:20 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
Of course I will too. But this goes back to my point, the wealthy have advantages that the non wealthy do not. This is why as much as lots of folks despise any type of affirmative action, its still needed. Too many good students out there that could rise to the occasion, IF they were given an opportunity.

Another thing to consider about the advantages of wealthy parents. How many of these kids get through high school by the pressure discipline from their wealthy/educated parents and skate to a lower tier institution, lets say a Kean, Felician, TCNJ, Rider, Monmouth etc. The parents preach "you have to go to college" and the kids do "go to college" and the wealthy parents cut the checks. How many kids from not wealthy parents are just as good academically, but can't continue their secondary education, because they dont have rich parents with a big house to support them while paying their college education? Where is that factored into the rankings? They end up trying to go to a community college and can't manage going to school and working a full time job to pay for said college, life gets in the way and now they are a statistic. How many kids from a solid mediocre HS say ranked 200, doesnt go to college because of financial issues? I bet a lot.

This also plays into the editors note about kids still being in college after 18 months. How many of the wealthy students above are "forced to go to college" becuase they are 16/17 and their parents demand they go. Then after a year or two in college are adult enough to tell their folks college aint for me and drop out?
Tony, those "rich people" are within their rights to do what ever they please with their children and money. So, what do you suggest? Free schooling? Need based financial aid already exists. What is the threshold? I'm sure a family of five earning $100k in NJ would not be considered "needy", but I bet paying for college is a huge burden when they don't qualify for aid.

Since you are doing "Verrrrry Well", and don't seem to come from a wealthy background, what seems to be the issue?

Old 09-05-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
And what may that district be?
You can't look it up on the list?

Old 09-05-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
You can't look it up on the list?
Oh yes. I mistook your statement as Millburn being #11.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey