Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 08:15 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,632,212 times

Advertisements

Reading the paper and I was amazed that we actually gained people last year. But after I read further into it I was disturbed about the 69,160 who fled the state. If you do the math thats 190 people a day running for the hills. Incoming to New Jersey it was reported that 48,944 international immigrants have moved to New Jersey in the same year. With the number of births exceeding deaths, we gained a grand total of 19,845 people. 42 states grew faster than NJ and there were only 2 that seen a decrease in overall population that being Michigan and Rhode Island. Almost 70,000 people fleeing a year from our almighty state of NJ. Doesn't anyone read the Census stats but me? Wake up New Jersey we have to do something here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 08:20 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,672,071 times
And what can any of us peons do about it? Your government has their right foot on our necks and we cant get up. We are too busy working 2 jobs just to pay the countrys highest property tax that we just do not have the time to march, stampede and protest like we did in the 60s. Besides in todays police state, if we tried, we would all be arrested.

I know why I left Jersey. I would bet all my savings everyone else who leaves has the same reasons as I.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:21 AM

531 posts, read 2,150,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Almost 70,000 people fleeing a year from our almighty state of NJ. Doesn't anyone read the Census stats but me? Wake up New Jersey we have to do something here!
NJ is overpopulated, what's so wrong with us losing a few people?

Of course, we're losing smart people, which is a problem.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:26 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,719,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Almost 70,000 people fleeing a year from our almighty state of NJ. Doesn't anyone read the Census stats but me? Wake up New Jersey we have to do something here!
I've been singing the same song for YEARS, while still living in New Jersey. I gave up and left. Now all I can say is that it's a damn shame.
LOVE NJ, hate the tax situation. It's very, very sad what the politicians and unions are doing to that state.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:33 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,702,762 times
I can't help but think all those people running for the hills are creating the same mess in their new home that they left in NJ. Look at the problems in FL for instance.

48K in immigration isn't a bad thing - immigration is what built NJ in the first place.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:34 AM

what's the deal with Rhode Island? Anyone know? I know what's going on in MI.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:40 AM

531 posts, read 2,150,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
what's the deal with Rhode Island? Anyone know? I know what's going on in MI.
From http://www.projo.com/news/content/POPULATION_LOSS_12-28-07_GC8DE8U_v89.2468348.html: (broken link)

Rhode Island’s fourth consecutive dip in population in as many years is another sign of the state’s stagnating economy, say experts who track demographic and business trends.

“Michigan and Rhode Island have something in common, which is the lack of job creation,” said John Logan, a sociology professor at Brown University.

Yesterday, interviews with several experts showed a divergence of opinion on the dip in population. While some blamed high taxes on highly paid workers and a poor business climate, others disputed those claims, pointing toward high housing costs and slow job growth.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:51 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,632,212 times
To me its extremely sad that people are fleeing in droves. We know of the approx. 50 or so that post regularly on our state forum. Let me give you my perspective because I want to cry. My son who I am extremely, extremely proud of is graduating Princeton University next year. We were having our usual Christmas get together with all our family members. He informs us that he is going to move to the Denver area after he graduates for work and because of the cost of living. My wife has been crying since and it virtually turned a great Christmas into a rather somber one. I can suck it up and try to move on but my wife wants me to try to talk him out of it. Well that a personal issue but I just wanted to vent so be it. What I am saying is we are loosing our BRIGHTEST people because of these loser politicians who don't know how to conserve. My son is leaving BECAUSE OF THE COST OF LIVING. We just can't shrug are shoulders and say who cares taxes are part of life. Many, many posters are here saying the same thing it stinks. Now I have to find out how to email this same thread to the governors office.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:53 AM

526 posts, read 2,069,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I can't help but think all those people running for the hills are creating the same mess in their new home that they left in NJ. Look at the problems in FL for instance.

48K in immigration isn't a bad thing - immigration is what built NJ in the first place.
Yes, Florida has become a mess, but I don't think this type of immigration is a good thing. NJ is becoming Central America right before our eyes. But, hey, at least we'll all have pretty lawns.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
Yes, Florida has become a mess, but I don't think this type of immigration is a good thing. NJ is becoming Central America right before our eyes. But, hey, at least we'll all have pretty lawns.
what is "this type" of immigration? remember the italians, irish, etc were viewed the same way back in the late 1800's - early 1900's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey