Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 11:40 AM

4 posts, read 8,848 times

Advertisements

today i just got a speeding ticket....82 in a 65. I know stupid please dont give me lectures about unsafe driving I KNOW. im 17years old. me and mom still discussing to call a lawyer or just mail in ticket pleading guilty and i pay it off. but if i do that will i get my license suspended? I got the ticket in NY...
dont feel like having to pay a lawyer 100$ to tell me this thats why im hoping somebody here knows :/

Last edited by rogerjon21; 09-30-2014 at 11:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 12:03 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
you may as well delete the thread right now because you will be lectured.

when i was a younger man, i got a couple of speeding tickets in upstate new york. i basically paid them and hoped the points wouldnt transfer over. it was successful. that was 10 & 11 years ago though so i dont know the deal today. generally speaking, it pays to go fight the ticket.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:04 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
1. Slow down

2. You're lucky it was out of state. That's a 4 point violation in NJ, but since you did it out of state, it will only amount to 2 points for you. If you avoid additional violations, won't be a huge deal.

3. As with most speeding tickets, you can go to court and seek a deal and/or beg for mercy to get zero points but pay a higher fine. I'm just not sure if they are less tolerant of a probationary driver. I don't think a lawyer will make that much difference besides getting your case dealt with before the others.

4. see #1

Old 09-30-2014, 12:05 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
Well played there, Carnac!

Old 09-30-2014, 12:26 PM

4 posts, read 8,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post

when i was a younger man, i got a couple of speeding tickets in upstate new york. i basically paid them and hoped the points wouldnt transfer over. it was successful. that was 10 & 11 years ago though so i dont know the deal today. generally speaking, it pays to go fight the ticket.
already got the lecturing from mom i honestly wasn't even intending to speed, just wasn't looking at speed because I felt like i wasnt speeding was just cruising not like i was left laning it whole time it was 11am road's were kinda dead (if i was catching up to cars i would of been like oh **** im speeding type of thing) and it was legit just an accident...but i gotta deal with the consequences i know

Old 09-30-2014, 01:53 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,467,077 times
jeez 82 is just the flow of traffic in NY/NJ lol

Old 09-30-2014, 03:22 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,452,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerjon21 View Post
today i just got a speeding ticket....82 in a 65. I know stupid please dont give me lectures about unsafe driving I KNOW. im 17years old. me and mom still discussing to call a lawyer or just mail in ticket pleading guilty and i pay it off. but if i do that will i get my license suspended? I got the ticket in NY...
dont feel like having to pay a lawyer 100$ to tell me this thats why im hoping somebody here knows :/
It would be well worth your time and money to contact a lawyer, and many lawyers will give you a free or minimal fee for a consult. You are charged with going 17 mph over the posted speed limit, which is 4 points in NY and YES, NY does report your ticket/points to NJ. However since you are a NJ resident/license holder who has gotten the ticket in another state, you'll only get 2 pts on your NJ license. Be VERY grateful that you got the ticket in NY and not in NJ. Going 17 mph over the limit is 4 pts in NJ. In NJ if you get three or more points, you must complete a driver improvement program (I believe that the program costs $100) From the drivers manual:

GDL holders cannot "plea down" to "no point" offenses in NJ.
If a GDL holder accumulates three or more penalty points, they have to complete a driver improvement program. If they fail to complete this program, or if they accumulate additional points, it will result in suspension and postponement of their eligibility to obtain a probationary (if in the permit phase) or basic license (if in the probationary phase). In addition, violations may incur legal fees and/or higher insurance rates.

Your 4 pts received in NY will be reported to NJ as well as to your insurance co. While NJ will only give you the two pts, since the ticket was issued in another state, your insurance carrier may consider it the full 4 you received from NY. You better believe your insurance rates will go through the roof, as you will now be considered a high risk driver. The high risk status will stick with you until you turn 25, longer if you get another ticket before turning 25. Some insurance companies will drop you entirely by refusing to renew your (or your parent's policy if you are covered on your parents insurance plan). All the more reason to get a lawyer's consult to find out what you need to do to get the least severe consequences for your mistake!

KoalaNJ

Old 09-30-2014, 03:50 PM

223 posts, read 321,299 times
Really? Wow, when I was 18 I got a speeding ticket going 80 in a 65 zone on 295 North (Easter Sunday!). I had my full license by then, but I just paid the fine and my insurance did not noticeably increase. Guess I got lucky. I took defensive driving when I got to college to get some of the points knocked off my license.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:50 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Also I don't think you will find any lawyer for $100, lol. Just saying,,, many lawyers will talk to you free for a limited amount of time but if going into court it might be quite a bit more.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:36 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,134 times
Oftentimes the court will plea it down if you show up. You could end up with only 15 MPH over instead of 17.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
1. Slow down

2. You're lucky it was out of state. That's a 4 point violation in NJ, but since you did it out of state, it will only amount to 2 points for you. If you avoid additional violations, won't be a huge deal.

3. As with most speeding tickets, you can go to court and seek a deal and/or beg for mercy to get zero points but pay a higher fine. I'm just not sure if they are less tolerant of a probationary driver. I don't think a lawyer will make that much difference besides getting your case dealt with before the others.

4. see #1
I think it's pretty common knowledge at this point, but NJ motor vehicle/cops tend to have a huge stick up their a** about this kind of stuff. 82 in a 65 and 4 points? Something doesn't add up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: