Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2014, 03:05 PM

3 posts, read 5,097 times

Advertisements

My wife and I currently live in Jackson, have a nice home but we're just ready to move. Jackson is great if you have kids and if you don't you're simply you're out of luck, there's absolutely zero culture or hope for culture for a couple like us. My wife works in Trenton in a professional capacity and I'm currently moving my office from the Brusnwick area to Freehold and we're looking for a place that won't be a horrifying drive and i'd love to to see my wife's commute shrink as the traffic on 195 at night is horrifying. Recently in our search we found some amazing homes in Trenton... Areas such as Hilltonia, Cadwalder Park, a home on Richey Pl, etc. Anyway, I'm not necessarily afraid of cities but is there any spark or hope at all that Trenton sees a turn around? It looks like the areas where there are nice homes have relatively low crime stats compared to some other areas of the city where the city has just gone to the crapper (some of these areas had gone to the crapper long ago and others more recent)... We have no issue being in the minority and really do both appreciate diversity which we have absolute none of in our section of Jackson.

Anyway, any insight into it being a good investment or do we just chalk these beautiful homes up as future war zone and look for something a little urban but with more upside, such as a Bordentown?

Thanks in advance.

MSP3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 06:02 PM

223 posts, read 321,530 times
I actually felt the same way as you - there are some beautiful homes in Trenton and I would love to have no commute (I also work in Trenton - we currently live in Hamilton so it's not like I have much of a commute to begin with). However, we felt that it was just too risky to buy in Trenton, especially since we want to have a good school system and lower property taxes. Trenton property taxes are insane for what you get in relation to other parts of Mercer County.

My husband and I are buying in Lawrence, instead, which is just north of Trenton. I have a coworker who lived in Bordentown for a couple of years and loved it. Good luck to you!

Old 10-22-2014, 10:15 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,055,277 times
Hiltonia and Cadwalader Park have some beautiful homes. But as orangenj says check out the property taxes, they are ridiculous.

This place
12 Hilvista Blvd, Trenton, NJ 08618 is For Sale - Zillow is gorgeous but the taxes are over 10K. Right now that 10K gets you pretty much nothing in the city of Trenton. Hopefully that will improve with the new mayor, he is looking promising but that city has a long history of corruption and crime to overcome and correct.

We live in another town in Mercer, our home is as ugly as crap compared to that one but the schools are stellar and we have a train station. Our taxes are just less than the Hiltonia house taxes.

I would love to see those old Trenton neighbourhoods come back but after 25 years of wishing, it hasn't happened yet.

I would contact the neighbourhood Associations of both and talk to them about your concerns.

Good luck!

Old 10-23-2014, 11:22 AM

311 posts, read 478,175 times
I would say that the odds of Trenton turning around via gentrification (as say, Jersey City did) are slim. The city is just too far away from major urban areas surrounding NYC or Philly. Yes, Trenton does have a rail line connecting it to both cities, but there are plenty of areas much closer to NYC and Philadelphia where rent is still cheap; gentrification would be more likely to hit these cities first.

Add in the fact that there are no large colleges within the city limits (as is the case with New Brunswick) and its not close to a beach or any other naturally desirable attraction (a la Asbury Park, Long Branch, etc); and the odds of a real turnaround are slim.

It is possible that Trenton could evolve into a somewhat safe city for working class families, but I really don't see it providing you with the "culture" I assume you are looking for.

And BTW, I hear you about Jackson. How about Princeton? Your wife will be doing a reverse commute, so traffic wont be too bad on route 1...

Old 10-23-2014, 12:13 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,344,393 times
Bordentown is probably a better bet. Decent downtown, and there is some diversity (not as much as Trenton), pretty older houses in the downtown area. And close enough to Trenton for the commute.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:57 AM

3 posts, read 5,097 times
Thanks for everyone's input, I appreciate it. Bordentown is definitely on our list, still reasonable prices, the right style home, etc. Now we just need to find a home that goes on the market. Princeton would be great but you just get so little for your money. The Trenton taxes don't bother me given what I'm getting in a home... Look at a town like Robbinsville, standard homes are creeping up towawrds $15K a year in taxes.

Thanks again all, much appreciated.

best, JP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey