Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 04:35 PM

294 posts, read 243,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
After everything that happened, I am amazed that people still say this. Run the state like which private business? Lehman Brothers, Bear Sterns, Enron... At least state which private business you have in mind.
Wow, yeah, that's terrible. Hang on, let me compare that to the 100% of governments that are bankrupt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
I doubt you will want any state run like a typical US public company. That will first of all mean that the executive team gets paid obscene amounts of money.
You seem to not understand how companies work, which is probably why you're so hysterical about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 04:49 PM

One thing I find endlessly fascinating is that the same people on the left who constantly talk about the high salaries of CEOs are fine with the PE teacher who makes $90,000. It's like "yeah, he should make that much ...in fact, he should probably make more!!" That's odd. I mean, on the one hand we have a private company that is allowed to pay anyone anything since it's their money ...and you're upset. On the other hand we have a public employee that is being paid with my tax money and it's like "yeah, whatever you can get, take it! Take more!! Take as much as you can!!" How odd.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:18 PM

43 posts, read 84,535 times
Run it like the public sector.......... LOL right. Ok. So you want to run it like the public sector? Well if that is what you want, here's what you have to do:

1. Lay off at least 50% of our teachers, cops, firefighters, EMS, DPW workers, etc.

2. Use that money to make your political allies and friends richer through political donations, shady real estate deals, government contracts for political friends and allies, and straight out bribes.

3. Cry foul when taxes are out of control and rally the troops to "tax the rich!" because they can 'afford' it.

4. Blame the public workers of this state for our financial troubles, and then start again at #1.

Seems pretty straight forward to me!

Old 10-29-2014, 05:25 PM

Oh and also, since a lot of folks on here think that Gov. Christie is doing such a bang up job, I think you would agree that his salary should be raised to at least $1,000,000 a year right? I mean it's like the private sector right? Pay for talent no matter how much it costs? Wow, I think that the Governor is grossly underpaid by 'private sector' standards right?

The cheerleaders for Gov. Christie should all be lining up to demand that the Governors salary and all of his advisers be raised immediately!!!! Let the private sector forces work unabated by politics!!

Old 10-29-2014, 05:30 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,887,796 times
I think the biggest thing is we should fully fund the pensions.

As it is we are deeply underfunding them, and that's a huge hidden debt that residents of the state will have to pay some day. Fully funding our obligations as they are incurred and slowly making up the current gap that already exists on obligations incurred in the past both is generally important for generational equity and will more importantly force us to acknowledge the huge costs of the promises we are making and raise taxes, cut other spending, or cut the pensions accordingly instead of doing the political/financial equivalent of closing our eyes, covering our ears, and shouting "la-la-la-la-la-I-can't-hear-you" at high volume while the problem grows bigger.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewawa View Post
Run it like the public sector.......... LOL right. Ok. So you want to run it like the public sector? Well if that is what you want, here's what you have to do:

1. Lay off at least 50% of our teachers, cops, firefighters, EMS, DPW workers, etc.

2. Use that money to make your political allies and friends richer through political donations, shady real estate deals, government contracts for political friends and allies, and straight out bribes.

3. Cry foul when taxes are out of control and rally the troops to "tax the rich!" because they can 'afford' it.

3. Blame the public workers of this state for our financial troubles, and then start again at #1.

Seems pretty straight forward to me!
I assume you mean "private sector." But let's examine your steps.

1) It's funny because you specifically targeted city services. That's generally how people on the left pull this off, by the way. So, let's take any random city with any random budget. They will say "well, we need to increase taxes." Then everyone says "no!" Then the city says "oh, OK, then we'll just lay off all the police." And then everyone says "no! OK, you can increase my taxes." Now that's rather disingenuous, since police should be the last service to be cut, but they're always proposed as the first. Which is pretty much how a protection racket works, right?

Even if you agreed that the police, firefighters, and teachers were running so sleekly and perfectly that you could not touch them -- which is false -- why would you need to? I could cut pretty much all of the school administrators without a problem, I bet. I also bet I could cut lots of people in the government before I got to the precious teachers who are untouchable.

But, really, I'd be fine with cutting teachers. Lots of teachers. You see, I don't need a $90,000 PE teacher, nor a $75,000 kindergarten teacher, nor a $90,000 school counselor. I'm perfectly fine with firing them and would do so tomorrow if I had the power to.

2) Then you say something about backroom deals and shady bribes. Odd, that's actually how the public sector does things. I'm sure that's done in the private sector, as well, don't get me wrong. However, the government and unions are famous for that kind of stuff and you apparently don't bat an eye at it.

3) Then you say public workers will be blamed and we'll start over again. That's certainly possible, but you've given no proof that it will happen, nor have you demonstrated that it's definite that it's not their fault. So what's your point?

In summary, you're wrong.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:11 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,415,671 times
You have to laugh at these post. We have a problem paying teachers 50 to 90k yet we have no problem taking tax dollars and siphoning it to the private sector. So pretty much crush the little guy and take all the money an expect private industry to do the right thing. Not sure what it is but I rather pay someone a decent wage then line the pocket or shareholders with riches because they are ripping off us taxpayers. You know that ball that we all payed 30 dollars for, or the cd player that cost us 200 bucks.
Not to mention why do any of you think that politicians who are our biggest problems would do anything better with the money? More money taken away from a dopey P.E. teacher or Cop doesnt cut your bills. All it does is free up more money for the scummy politicians to give or **** away.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
You have to laugh at these post. We have a problem paying teachers 50 to 90k yet we have no problem taking tax dollars and siphoning it to the private sector. So pretty much crush the little guy and take all the money an expect private industry to do the right thing. Not sure what it is but I rather pay someone a decent wage then line the pocket or shareholders with riches because they are ripping off us taxpayers. You know that ball that we all payed 30 dollars for, or the cd player that cost us 200 bucks.
Not to mention why do any of you think that politicians who are our biggest problems would do anything better with the money? More money taken away from a dopey P.E. teacher or Cop doesnt cut your bills. All it does is it frees up more money for the scummy politicians to give or **** away.
t
You say a lot of things, but none of them are explanatory. For example, you say that not paying the PE teacher $90,000 wouldn't change anything because the government would just spend it somewhere else. Now, you're certainly right, that is exactly how government works ...but that's not a reason to continue paying the PE teacher $90,000. It's a reason to both cut his salary (or fire him) and to reform the government that you identify as wasteful.

Now, you say that we pay $30 for a ball or $200 for a CD player. If you pay that much, it's because you wanted to. I didn't ever pay $200 for a CD player and I don't buy balls. But, hey, if you want to, that's your call. That's the beauty of the free market. You decide what the fair price is. By definition, if you buy the product, you've decided that it's fair. I don't get to do that with government. Instead, some other voter says "I want something and charge him for it." Everyone gets an equal vote despite paying unequal amounts (or percentages, if you want to go that way), which is hardly fair at all.

Not only do we not need a $90,000 PE teacher, we don't need a PE teacher of any sort. Does that shock you? If so, why? I'd fire every single PE teacher that exists. That's just a start, too, by the way. I'm not picking on them only.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:36 PM

311 posts, read 478,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Not to mention why do any of you think that politicians who are our biggest problems would do anything better with the money? More money taken away from a dopey P.E. teacher or Cop doesnt cut your bills. All it does is free up more money for the scummy politicians to give or **** away.
I think your right... New Jersey would be better off without the private sector! We can all work for the state, and all pay taxes to the state! That sounds like a sustainable system....

Old 10-29-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimbolo View Post
I assume you mean "private sector." But let's examine your steps.

3) Then you say public workers will be blamed and we'll start over again. That's certainly possible, but you've given no proof that it will happen, nor have you demonstrated that it's definite that it's not their fault. So what's your point?

In summary, you're wrong.

Yes you're right I meant 'private' sector.

As to the 'proof' you are looking for, just read the daily headlines of the Star Ledger. There is no shortage of band standing by our governor and his administration about the salaries and their 'Cadillac benefits' of public sector workers.

Do yourself a favor and do some research or at least contribute a somewhat partially educated and non partisan opinion.

You see, the problem is that most of the time people become so engrossed and blinded by their political affiliation that they fail to see the basic principals of right and wrong, and make decisions and form opinions based on their partisan politics rather than facts or what is in the best interests of everyone in their community and State. I voted for Christie the first time because I believed in what he said. Now, seeing objectively that he failed me, my family, and my community on many levels I have no problem calling him out on it. You say that I have not demonstrated that "it's definite that it's not their fault". What? That is a facially uneducated and ignorant statement. If I say you murdered Jimmy Hoffa it must be true right?, because I can't prove that you didn't! So in summary, your opinion irrelevant to the conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey