Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 09:43 AM

7 posts, read 13,105 times

Advertisements

Okay I found some places I can afford in my budget that accomediate my bad credit/bad rental history
I have an eviction on my record so these are the few places I am able to rent I wanted to know which is the best out of all them it will be My bf, our son, and me we are a mixed family in our 20s with a 2 yr old boy. Please let me know what you think of these areas and which I would be the safest as my son would need to be close to university hosptial for his occupational therapy and other doctor visits, my bf would need to be able to commute to newark airport and nyc because he wants to work in newark and attend school in the city thanks for the help its really appreciated

2BED 2BATH BROOK AVE, PASSAIC $580/MONTH
1BED 1BATH LINDEN AVE, IRVINGTON $630/MONTH
1BED 1BATH MADISON AVE, PASSAIC $475/MONTH
1Bed 1BATH Highland Ave, Passaic - $450/month
1bed 1bath roseville ave, newark $600/month
1bed 1bath warwick ave, newark $500/month
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 10:46 AM

882 posts, read 1,671,636 times
Roseville isn't the worst section of Newark. I can't find a Warwick Avenue, but Warwick Street is in the Ironbound and that is probably the best area on your list.

I don't know as much about Irvington or Passaic, but Irvington especially has a reputation worse than Newark's.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:51 AM

191 posts, read 394,442 times
All of these areas are known as bad areas and if the rents that cheap you cant help wondering why.Irvingtons. the worst of the bunch.One situation I had a gun pulled on me on the I-78 exit ramp , and another time a bunch of kids were following my car and trying to rip signs down so Id get lost and they could rob me on a deadend street.Probably the worst ghetto Ive ever seen.Newark not too much better, drug and crime infested, lots of senseless murder and urban decay.Passaic would probably be your best bet although still a terrible area,not as bad as Newark and Irvington. I ve been in your boat in some respects.About 2 yrs back I was in Nj living week to week with a 2 year old and my fiance in an overpriced studio on a drug block constantly combing through nj craigslist all the time for an apartment that I could afford on what little money I made.After checking on a friends suggestion I checked out the pa craigslist and checked out the poconos.I didnt know anything about it but the apartments were half as much as apartments in jersey in the worst slums.I came up to the poconos and found it to be a hundred times better than jersey and more bang for my buck.I settled in a town called stroudsburg which is a small city area with a college and hospital. in town and couldnt be happier.Might be something to check out

Old 12-09-2014, 08:19 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,093,849 times
You might also consider Patterson. Not a great area of course but from what I've heard and seen better that Newark or Irvington. It has a bustling downtown/commercial area with very low store vacancies. I drove through it once courtesy of my navigator and at first I was a little scared based on everything I've heard. But when I looked around, I saw that it was just a busy commercial area, jam packed with stores and people walking and driving around taking care of their business.

Patterson neighborhoods on the border with other towns might be safer than in the center of Patterson. The town also has a train stop on Main Line and at least one bus that goes to Washington Heights -171.

Last edited by DefiantNJ; 12-09-2014 at 09:01 AM..

Old 12-09-2014, 09:03 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,669,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
You might also consider Patterson. Not a great area of course but from what I've heard and seen better that Newark or Irvington. It has a bustling downtown/commercial area with very low store vacancies. I drove through it once courtesy of my navigator and at first I was a little scared based on everything I've heard. But when I looked around, I saw that it was just a busy commercial area, jam packed with stores and people walking and driving around taking care of their business.

Patterson neighborhoods on the border with other towns might be safer than in the center of Patterson. The town also has a train stop on Main Line and at least one bus that goes to Washington Heights -171.
For the love of God, it's Paterson

Old 12-09-2014, 09:05 AM

684 posts, read 812,762 times
Those are the worst cities in NJ along with a few others , try looking into West Paterson and Haledon.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:07 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,846,004 times
OP does not say if she drives..that would help a lot in determining the most safe city

Old 12-09-2014, 11:26 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,091,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
OP does not say if she drives..that would help a lot in determining the most safe city
Agreed, especially since Paterson (which was mentioned earlier) has virtually no solid public trans system.
-------

If folks wouldn't do downtown Newark then I wouldn't even mention downtown Paterson. Overall Paterson is much smaller by land and populace and has a far higher crime concentration than Newark. The mall is somewhat decent.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:08 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,220,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
For the love of God, it's Paterson
And worse than Newwark.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:17 AM

93 posts, read 130,865 times
Brook Ave in Passaic doesn't seem that bad. Depending on the exact location, you'll have close access to route 21 which gives access to Newark and nearby NJ Transit train stations for Manahttan. There's also a mini-bus line that runs to Manhattan, though I don't know the exact stops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey