Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 05:56 PM

2 posts, read 7,779 times

Advertisements

Hello all I am new to this forum as a member but I have been a lurker for awhile now.
Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone has had any bad experiences with NJ real estate brokers and I am not sure if we are allowed to name names, if we are please feel free to vent (me and my friends have had our share but Id rather hear you go first since I am new here)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2006, 06:10 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,062,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zh219 View Post
Hello all I am new to this forum as a member but I have been a lurker for awhile now.
Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone has had any bad experiences with NJ real estate brokers and I am not sure if we are allowed to name names, if we are please feel free to vent (me and my friends have had our share but Id rather hear you go first since I am new here)
They are as bad as used car dealers. Of course most started in Real Estate in the NYC area specifically Manhattan where you can blatantly charge people whatever you want and smugly lie because they will gladly pay (because "Everyone wants to live here").

Maybe if the market is truely "declining" (which is open to great debate) realtors can lose this haughty, arrogant, self entitled attitude. After all it is a 'commission only' job but only if this region of the country can they charge renters anywhere from one month - 15% of the annual rent and do next to nothing on the part of the would be renter.

Old 11-12-2006, 09:05 PM

333 posts, read 1,993,829 times
When we put our Marlton house up for sale..I really liked my realtor. We sold our house in a week. But, it was the market then. When we went to closing..my realtor wasn't even there. She had someone else come in..we had problems with the buyers and their lawyer..We almost walked out..it wasn't a good experience that I blame on my realtor.

But, when we moved to Pittsburgh..we also had a very poor experience with our buyers realtor. She met with the sellers and told them information she shouldn't have, like how far we would go in bidding and stuff. When we moved to Maryland..i had an outstanding realtor..who was really working for us.

So I guess every state has pathetic real estate agents who just want to earn their commission.

Old 11-13-2006, 04:55 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,762,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
They are as bad as used car dealers. Of course most started in Real Estate in the NYC area specifically Manhattan where you can blatantly charge people whatever you want and smugly lie because they will gladly pay (because "Everyone wants to live here").

Maybe if the market is truely "declining" (which is open to great debate) realtors can lose this haughty, arrogant, self entitled attitude. After all it is a 'commission only' job but only if this region of the country can they charge renters anywhere from one month - 15% of the annual rent and do next to nothing on the part of the would be renter.
Well, of course I resent those comments, just on a personal level. I was a realtor in NJ up until my move and did it because I just really loved the business.

There certainly are shady realtors, but for those of us who are honest and sincere, the resistance and mistrust from possible clients is tough to deal with.

As far as the declining market goes, realtors who are committed and experienced don't mind. That's when the realtors who came in thinking it was quick and easy money kind of ....disappear from the office! Also, the-for sale-by-owners suddenly decide they may need us after all.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 7,779 times
The main problem over in Bergen Cty is a firm called Friedberg Properties. They have 5 offices. Many have had numerous problems with these people, on both buyers and sellers sides. They have no respect for the customer, which is why they don't have much repeat buisness. They are arrogant snakes who have many of their agents on the county realtor board - basically so that they can get away with whatever they want.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:45 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,764,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMom View Post
As far as the declining market goes, realtors who are committed and experienced don't mind. That's when the realtors who came in thinking it was quick and easy money kind of ....disappear from the office! Also, the-for sale-by-owners suddenly decide they may need us after all.
Spoken like the voice of experience - it is a language we speak in our household!
I told my DH about a year ago that the market would be topping out soon. It seemed like everyone and their brother told me that they were getting out of their line of work and would be getting their real estate license. I remember that happening toward the end of the 1980's real estate boom, which then went belly-up. It just seemed too familiar this time around.

It's too bad that some people still equate Real Estate brokers with used car salesmen. Most that we know here in South Jersey work very hard to maintain their professionalism and provide quality service to the client.

NCMOM - did you get your NC real estate license?

Old 11-13-2006, 08:10 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,762,357 times
Hi Adream,
No, I decided to leave the business. Although, I would've made some decent commissions off of my brother, his in-laws, and my own parents! Who knew I'd be responsible for a mini-Yankee invasion!?

I had my third baby a year ago and couldn't imagine going to work and leaving that little face at home. People think you can do real estate part-time. That's a joke!

On another note, when are you coming down????

Old 11-13-2006, 08:19 PM

88 posts, read 387,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenne03 View Post
So I guess every state has pathetic real estate agents who just want to earn their commission.
Yes, they make a bad name for us...

Old 11-14-2006, 09:09 AM

3 posts, read 11,520 times
Default Real Estate Agents..

Quote:
Originally Posted by zh219 View Post
If you have a problem with a real estate agent, you can report them to the local board of realtors. They take every claim seriously, and will investigate. If the agent did behave inappropriately, there will be fines and the agent / broker may even loose their license. Most real estate agents are actually honest and fair. Unfortunately it is a case of a few making a bad reputation for the rest. Real estate agents who belong to the National Association of Realtors are required to take initial and re-occurring ethics training. The rules are clear. I hear stories, and it makes my stomach turn. I wish more people would report agents who behave like this, so we can get rid of them and start re-establishing our reputation.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:55 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,764,187 times
Quote:
Hi Adream,
No, I decided to leave the business. Although, I would've made some decent commissions off of my brother, his in-laws, and my own parents! Who knew I'd be responsible for a mini-Yankee invasion!?
Ha! That's cute.
Quote:
I had my third baby a year ago and couldn't imagine going to work and leaving that little face at home.
I totally understand. I chose to be a SAHM with mine, who are now teens and 20's, and I am so grateful that I was able to do that. And congratulations on the newest member of your family!
Quote:
People think you can do real estate part-time. That's a joke!
Not if you're going to do it right! My belief is that the part timers do not contribute to the professionalism that is important to the industry, and that the serious full-timers deserve. We know many dedicated agents/brokers. Clients deserve a full-time agent. (Just my .02!)
Quote:
On another note, when are you coming down????
You are so sweet! Honey, when we get that trip planned, YOU will hear from me! DH and I are talking about taking trips starting this spring. I told him that I'll go myself and start the explorations if he can't get away. I am serious about making a change, and the longer time goes on the more serious he is too! (I'd get in that car and go tomorrow if I could!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey