Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 4,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
You were in Vailsburg and that area has improved 100% over what it used to be! Try 10-15 years ago.

That;s improvement? Sure we're talking about same area? Place was a complete warzone. You couldn't pay me enough money to walk those street once night it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 01:30 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,933,405 times
How would people from Newark rate Elizabeth? I spent about 4 - 5 days there in a hotel near the airport. It looked run down but I did not feel threatened or anything. Still sad Newark is in such a state of decline. Then again, it seems to happen to cities and even states all over the country.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:44 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
How would people from Newark rate Elizabeth? I spent about 4 - 5 days there in a hotel near the airport. It looked run down but I did not feel threatened or anything. Still sad Newark is in such a state of decline. Then again, it seems to happen to cities and even states all over the country.
Well thats the Industrial area....aren't most Industrial areas run down or gritty? Did you even bother to visit the Ironbound or Downtown?

Old 01-24-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Well thats the Industrial area....aren't most Industrial areas run down or gritty? Did you even bother to visit the Ironbound or Downtown?
No, we took the bus to Manhattan from there every day. I did see some parts of Newark and stayed in a hotel there too, it looked rough but I never felt unsafe. Looking back, after everything I've read about Newark, I'm not sure it was such a good idea after all. We even walked around at night through Newark ... Then again, I don't think it is just Newark. Many American cities are affected by crime and decay these days.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:06 AM

191 posts, read 394,287 times
Newarks like any other city in America,theirs always a ghetto or bad side of town.In Newarks case the majority of the city is a ghetto, and a notoriously violent place.You probably wouldnt have issues in a hotel, there not in the ghetto areas of Newark and believe me, you'll know when your in the bad area.If your white the cops are usually pulling you over in 3 second after getting off 78 and either arresting you or kicking you out of there, considering your sanity since the only whites you'll see there are trying to buy drugs or are completly nuts, kind of like the same common sense as some white american driving through bagdad in a mini van.Is Newark scary?, absolutely if you arent using your head.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:19 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugashane View Post
If your white the cops are usually pulling you over in 3 second after getting off 78 and either arresting you or kicking you out of there, considering your sanity since the only whites you'll see there are trying to buy drugs or are completly nuts
ROTFL. Maybe if you're slowly cruising around in the middle of the night. You can drive through Newark regularly and the only thing that will bother you is the hair on the back of your neck.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:16 AM

191 posts, read 394,287 times
No, not at all this happens all day too. In my personal experience 2 summers ago I was lost on 78 trying to find a job site.I pulled off on the first exit I could which happened to be the Newark/Irvington border. I knew the neighborhood looked bad so I pulled into a small truck/warehouse spot so I could get my gps working on my phone.No sooner did I have the phone on,I was ripped out of my car onto the ground and two guys in street clothes had two glock 40s trained on me and revealed themselves to be undercover dt's.They immediately start calling me a heroin adict , the one cop is ripping my car apart and going through my phone, the other had his gun trained on me questioning why Im in a violent black neighborhood notorious for heroin, crack sales and shootings.After a half hour of this , they decided I was a hapless moron(their words) and made me get back on 78 or be locked up on conspiracy to get drugs and loitering charges and locked up in the green monster.This was 2 in the afternoon btw.Since then Ive talked to plenty of people who have had similar situations.Call it wrong, bigotry,maybe my comments sound racist, but there's no bull s*** here.These places are what they are.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:45 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Well if Newark ran a lottery where some random person would be selected as a murder victim, the odds are exponentially better than winning the NJ state lottery.

Newark's victims' lottery has had an unbroken string of murders a month since the 1960s though that stat has now been surpassed. If you feel hopeful that you might win the Nj cash lottery, you must believe Newark's lottery is a slam dunk.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugashane View Post
Newarks like any other city in America,theirs always a ghetto or bad side of town.In Newarks case the majority of the city is a ghetto, and a notoriously violent place.You probably wouldnt have issues in a hotel, there not in the ghetto areas of Newark and believe me, you'll know when your in the bad area.If your white the cops are usually pulling you over in 3 second after getting off 78 and either arresting you or kicking you out of there, considering your sanity since the only whites you'll see there are trying to buy drugs or are completly nuts, kind of like the same common sense as some white american driving through bagdad in a mini van.Is Newark scary?, absolutely if you arent using your head.
Omg, that is just scary. We thought it was a good idea to stay in Elizabeth and Newark because hotels were cheaper there than New York and travel to Manhattan from there. Flights were cheaper to Newark too. But I didn't realize we were risking our lives. Why don't they warn people when booking a flight to Newark or at the airport? Europe is very safe everywhere so I expected the same in the US, the low income areas over here are not dangerous at all. I know Newark looks rough but I didn't expect it to be that dangerous.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:05 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Default Why don't they warn people when booking a flight to Newark

I could hear the online booking saying to the traveler "Please stay out of the hood because you can get mugged or killed"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey