Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 08:46 AM

28 posts, read 29,031 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm in the process of purchasing my 1st condo. My offer has been accepted, contract has been signed, and I've been pre-approved for 100% financing...very exciting stuff!

I'm getting this place for a very good price ($43K less than the original listing price). And the seller has agreed to pay $5K toward my closing costs.

The thing is, the mortgage company will only let the seller pay a little less than $4K at closing. This leaves me with about $1K that I would still like to get from the seller.

Does anyone know of any additional credits that I can request from the seller to make up for this $1000? It would be great if that could be put toward my 1st year of condo fees etc. The seller is very motivated, so I'm definitely in the driver's seat. Thus, I'd like to get as many discounts/credits as I can. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 09:22 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,673,563 times
I've seen it where some of the monies gets left off the HUD. However, this is unlikely (and potentially risky - mortgage companies don't like not getting their info).

Ask instead about a price adjustment to make up the difference. If you get additional perks, you're going to raise your price - and its not a dollar for dollar seller contribution adjustment. In other words, mortgage companies have a percentage they allow - lets say its 5% in your case. So for every $100k, you can get $5k from the seller. To get $1k more from the seller, your purchasing price would have to go up $20k! Which, btw, may make you ineligible.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:24 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,127,210 times
How about asking to keep any appliances or furniture that would make up the difference? Ie. the gas grill, the entertainment unit, dining set, drapes, etc.!

That bank/lender shouldn't be able to block the owner from giving you those types of stuff.

Great negotiation on the lower price, btw!

Old 01-08-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
How about asking to keep any appliances or furniture that would make up the difference? Ie. the gas grill, the entertainment unit, dining set, drapes, etc.!

That bank/lender shouldn't be able to block the owner from giving you those types of stuff.

Great negotiation on the lower price, btw!

[SIZE=3]I've already asked for the seller to leave the refrigerator and microwave. Anything else I'm not really interested in, since I'd like to do "my own thing" with the place. I just received some great advice (I think). I was told that I could ask for the full 5K credit at closing, but have the 1K deducted from the mortgage amount. The remaining 4K will fall within the 3% maximum, and I'll have may $1000! I'll just need to get the seller to agree...This lady is going to want to strangle me at closing lol. [/SIZE]

Old 01-08-2008, 11:40 AM

604 posts, read 2,915,427 times
You should consider yourself very lucky. You got the place for a good price plus 4k in closing costs but that's not enough for you. You are lucky to have found such an agreeable seller. So your buying a condo and you don't even want to put up 1k of your own money. How cheap can you get?

E

Old 01-08-2008, 11:58 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,719,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
You should consider yourself very lucky. You got the place for a good price plus 4k in closing costs but that's not enough for you. You are lucky to have found such an agreeable seller. So your buying a condo and you don't even want to put up 1k of your own money. How cheap can you get?

E
Thank God someone beat me to this comment. 1K in the grand scheme of things is peanuts.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
Thank God someone beat me to this comment. 1K in the grand scheme of things is peanuts.

Yes, my realtor just got done yelling at me , and truth be told, I'm not going to make a big deal of $1000 BUT, we still haven't done an inspection or appraisal so the actual value of the condo could be at or (God forbid) a little below my offer. Or there could be "unseen" repairs that I'll need to make. In that case, I need to look out for myself and I'd much rather be "cheap" and have an extra $1000 of the seller's money in my pocket, than be "nice"...Sorry. I'll see what happens after the inspection and appraisal. If everything checks out, I will NOT make a big deal out of it.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:24 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,867,662 times
Don't let people make you feel bad, especially your realtor. They just want you to close so they can get paid. It is YOUR money and if the seller agreed to it in writing, you should get it.

What about knocking the money off of the asking price or? Instead of paying closing costs can they give you a check after the transaction?

Old 01-08-2008, 01:47 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,943,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Don't let people make you feel bad, especially your realtor. They just want you to close so they can get paid. It is YOUR money and if the seller agreed to it in writing, you should get it.

What about knocking the money off of the asking price or? Instead of paying closing costs can they give you a check after the transaction?
Signing a mortgage agreement & taking mortgage money based on a certain sale price and then taking money back unreported after the closing will be considered, by most banks & in most locations, mortgage fraud. I recommend against it.
I'd suggest holding on at the moment. You've gotten agreement to keep all the stuff in the house that you want. You've gotten a price that you like. Wait for the inspection to be completed, make sure there isn't anything that you don't know about. Ask them to put the extra $1,000 into an escrow account so that you can wait until summer to make sure the air conditioning is working properly. Have your attorney word the escrow agreement so that you have the option to use the money not just for repair, but even if you feel the system needs to be updated or upgraded.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post

This is exactly what I proposed to my realtor. But she's like..."You can't get money towards closing AND ask the seller to write you a check". Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it, since the total cost will still end up being $5K. Not to mention that the word "can't" is never an option for me. I'll see how this plays out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: