Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 09:05 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,148,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hey, that sounds great. I might do that one of these days. The Old Book Shop sounds fantastic. I do like some Indian and Thai food, and I don't have a problem going out to dinner alone, even though I don't want to go to bars alone, so I would check out the restaurants.
Oh, you must go to Morristown!!! Especially when the weather gets beautiful.

Morristown is one of my favorite towns. Of course, I grew up in Morris County and took it for granted.

As a child, I played in Burnham Park. Beautiful and peaceful.

We also visited all of the historic sites in the area. Morristown was the military capital of the Revolution.

I spent a lot of time at the Ford Mansion as a child. Yes, my best friend and I were bookish "intellectuals" who loved spending time there. Ok, we were weird kids, I guess. We loved reading and history. We weren't going to be playing kickball.

Jockey Hollow and Wick House are beautiful.

On a nice day, you can watch the Seeing Eye dogs walking around Morristown. Near the Century 21 Store, you can see the statues of Morris Frank and Buddy.

You can walk around the historic Morristown Green.

I heartily recommend the Old Bookstore. It's actually pretty close to the Frelinghuysen Arboretum (now that is a must visit in the springtime!)

It is indeed near the Morris County Jail, not in central Morristown, which explains why there are a lot of bail bonds places and police cars in the area.

One day my husband and I made the trip to the area. We had visited the bookstore, which has a rather cramped parking lot, and left the bookstore to go by the lumberyard and take a right turn onto Ridgedale Avenue.

There is no right turn on red there, which believe me is good. We waited, and waited, and waited for the light to turn green. Eventually we realized that the light was stuck on red.

We also had a police car waiting behind us, so there was no way we were going to make that turn even if we wanted to (which we didn't because it would have been dangerous).

So we sat and waited and wondered what he would do.

Finally a very nice young policeman came out of the car and came up to us and was laughing. He told us he would stop traffic on the street so that we could go, and that he would call in about the traffic light not working! Believe me it needed to be fixed immediately! So he stopped traffic for us!

Here is a nice walking tour!

Morristown's History - A Walking Tour
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 09:36 PM

728 posts, read 1,964,598 times
1.Alpine
2.Livingston
3.West Orange
4. Pt. Pleasant
5. Belmar

Super fancy town, two great West Essex Towns and 2 great beach towns. What NJ is all about

Old 02-10-2015, 05:27 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Jersey City - best for nightlife. Hoboken is too hard to get to, park, and too meathead.
New Brunswick - good chill bars, restaurants, and probably best jazz scene in NJ.
Clifton/Totowa area - for shopping convenience, Guitar Center and Barnes & Nobles.
Atlantic City - for obvious reasons
Broad Avenue, Palisades Park - little Seoul. Fantastic place for food and bakeries.

Last edited by jobaba; 02-10-2015 at 05:47 AM..

Old 02-10-2015, 06:11 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,826,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykstevenyg View Post
1.Alpine
2.Livingston
3.West Orange
4. Pt. Pleasant
5. Belmar

Super fancy town, two great West Essex Towns and 2 great beach towns. What NJ is all about
West Orange? I live next town, West Orange is not even close to the list.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:07 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,724,972 times
bay head
brielle
manasquan
spring lake

Old 02-10-2015, 08:20 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Barnegat Light and Beach Haven
Chatsworth
Corbin City
Greenwich
Haddonfield

Port Norris
Shirley and Erma
Mauricetown
Seabreeze

Old 02-10-2015, 12:31 PM

380 posts, read 607,290 times
My top 5 (in no particular order):

Hoboken-for the nightlife and variety of restaurants

Cape May-for the seaside charm

Princeton-for the amazing university and academic culture

Saddle River-for the country feel so close to NY and homes of the super wealthy

Ridgewood-for the New England/Norman Rockwell feel

Old 02-10-2015, 06:17 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
Atlantic Highlands

Belvidere
Bordentown
Cape May
Chatham
Highlands
Lambertville
Madison
Montclair
Morristown
Mount Tabor (part of Parsippany)
Ocean Grove (part of Neptune)
Princeton
Red Bank
Sandy Hook (Ok, not really a town, but . . .)
Sea Girt
Sergeantsville (it’s really Delaware Township)
Spring Lake

Is this more than 10? Oops!

There are so many towns that I really haven’t explored yet, either! Hopefully the weather will soon be bearable.
Ocean Grove is not part of Neptune

Old 02-10-2015, 08:13 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Ocean Grove is not part of Neptune
some old lady at my mom's birthday party introduced herself to me and said she lives in ocean grove. when I said I didn't know where it was she made a big stink over the fact that ive never heard of ocean grove. subsequently, ive seen a sign for its exist on the parkway but never felt the need to go there. whats so wonderful about it?

Old 02-11-2015, 01:46 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
some old lady at my mom's birthday party introduced herself to me and said she lives in ocean grove. when I said I didn't know where it was she made a big stink over the fact that ive never heard of ocean grove. subsequently, ive seen a sign for its exist on the parkway but never felt the need to go there. whats so wonderful about it?
I was wrong , I apologize .

Ocean Grove, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the very, very old days it was known as a summer "camp" town .Even into the 70's only Police ,Fire and Ambulance's were aloud to drive in the city limits between 7: 00 pm Friday and 12:00am Sun/Mon .It is stuck in between Asbury Park to the north and Bradly Beach to the South with only one road in and one road out of the whole town .I read that it is part of Neptune Township but has always run as a seperate incorporated town .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey