Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 07:17 AM

28 posts, read 29,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeyab2004 View Post
I get section 8 and I work and pay taxes too. It is not just the tax dollars of people who don't receive assistance that go towards these programs, So , no I personally don't plan on paying any tax dollars back. I already pay taxes .I have not always recieved assitance nor do I plan to recieve it forever. Either way I would never expect anyone to pay anything back. These programs are here to help people when they fall on hard times. If some people who can benefits from these programs are too proud to accept this type of help when they really need it that is there problem. I put into the pot ( by paying taxes) and I surely won't hesitate to use assistance when I need it.

I wasn't even going to entertain that ignorant comment with a response...but you basically summed it all up here. I couldn't have said it any better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 07:44 AM

222 posts, read 1,026,152 times
It's nice to see the section 8 success stories here. As I mentioned with my earlier post, I've seen too many of the bad apples to call the program a success as a whole. Like most govt programs, there are parts of it that are good and parts that aren't so great.

Let's remember too, that those of you who are cheering for section 8 and other welfare programs have no right at all to complain about your high taxes. Because that's how we're paying for that stuff.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:11 AM

191 posts, read 900,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krusher View Post
It's nice to see the section 8 success stories here. As I mentioned with my earlier post, I've seen too many of the bad apples to call the program a success as a whole. Like most govt programs, there are parts of it that are good and parts that aren't so great.

Let's remember too, that those of you who are cheering for section 8 and other welfare programs have no right at all to complain about your high taxes. Because that's how we're paying for that stuff.
As with anything in america thats "free", it will inevitably turn from what its meant to be (temporary assistance) to a free ride for life and the lives of generations to come.
I think what bothers me more than anything (even tho it all bothers me) is how ungrateful most people on public assistance are for what they are given for nothing. Unfortunately this is not the case of a few bad apples making it bad for the rest. i would venture to say, that a majority of people on public assistance are taking advantage of the system.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:11 AM

18 posts, read 72,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan B 718 View Post
for the most part, welfare recipeints DONT work. if you make the tiniest bit of money, they yank your benefits. its much easier for them to say they have a disabled child, or a medical problem that prevents them from working. Welfare makes you go down to the welfare office on a whim, if u miss an appointment, they close your case ASAP. its hard to keep a crappy on-the-books job while on welfare.
Welfare recipients USED to be the ones that worked off the books, but the huge influx of ILLEGAL ALIENS stopped all that noise.
For the ones that dont know how to beat the system, they get put on workfare, in which they get trained and pushed into a job (usually a city job) and then they work to keep their benefits.
This is posted from the NYC point of view. im not sure how things might be different in the burbs, but in the urban areas, thats how it is.
Now keep in mind, welfare and section-8 are 2 very very different things. it kinda boils down to this

Lowest - Full welfare recipient. lives in projects for free, gets cash, food, medical, will prolly never work, will teach her kids the same values

Low - partial welfare. Lives somewhere (mom, boyfriend) gets cash food medical. depending on how many kids she pops out, she may go up or down the ladder

Middle - lil bit o welfare . section-8, food stamps, medical. probably only has 1 kid, and is somewhat stable. is a drug/bad boyfriend/another kid away from going down the ladder. Is also one good break from going up the ladder.

Upper - Section-8 . has a job, just doesnt make enough to handle life, but makes too much to get anything else. Again, prolly just 1 kid, but not enough education/work experience to get off assistance right away. usually has a job and goes to school.
I guess I'm catagorized as upper sec 8.......wow I never imagined, when I was accepted all I could think was thank you for this help you know I so desperately needed

Old 01-16-2008, 08:18 AM

633 posts, read 1,950,505 times
Hi Nikey,
I don't refuse that would be against the law. I don't want to and that should be my right. I do not have an apartment complex I have a 2 family. It's not in the best neighborhood and I know know more about tenant/ landlord law then I ever thought I would.
I have been not only victimized by the tenants but the bureaucracy at sec-8. They actually did me a favor but of course they did not tell me, I was trying to follow up a perspective sec-8 tenant, my property is in old bridge which is middlesex and the majority of prospects come from monmouth since I advertise in the park press.

I called the lady and asked why she did not get back she was so excited. She said "don't tell anyone but you are on a black-list". THEY won't rent to me.

It's hard enough having to cover all the bases to make sure that someone does not destroy, steal or victimize me or my property.

And the reason I am black listed had to do with an inspection. It's bad enough that we have to do all of these dumb inspections, then sec-8 has there own inspection, even though I have a COO I have to comply if I want to receive this "pot of gold".

I had just finished an eviction, with losses over 3k, I was try to help this prospect. The case worker from "monmouth" who would not surrender/forward the file to the middlesex office, during the interview with improvements like a new toilet seat and such decided, I would have to put in a new living room rug. I looked at him and said the interview is over.

I want to comment Tam27 and the other people who use the system and do not abuse.

Although I do have mixed filling that you will be getting off after your closing.

I know the the stories of battered parents and children and I know they need help. Tenants and the state seem to think it my responsibility, I am a landlord. Well tam and others, what if corzine said you had to put up someone in your spare bedroom how would you feel.

I once had a lady look at my place, she gave me a referral, it was a local cop. I called him, he said the girl has cleaned up her act, she was working and on sec-8. BUT he felt that her drug attic brother would also be living with in the house and he could not recommend it. And of course tenants have rights. You can have a guest for 30 days, and I can't say a damn thing. So I turned her down, she immediately accused me of discrimination because she was black. I never when to court. But for at least 2 years a person/couple of color would make an appointment to see an apartment that I would have for rent. I would drive 1.5 r/t spend 20min with them I would give them my application, I asked how much they made and they told me 40k each (well qualified), and they would never get back to me.

I have also had really crap non-sec 8 people. My place is in a low -income neighborhood.
I have also had some really good people who appreciated and respected themselves and my property.

People remember there is no single answer to this question. Do we just let people die but do we just let them continue with out any guidance. Should the case worker who would not forward the paperwork to protect his job loose his job. Then he would pick up unemployment.

Accountability, proper judgment, balance in social responsibility, caring, not having to feel remorse when you have to evict a mom and 3 kids...

Voice your opinion, try not to judge, go to your town meeting, get involved.

I think I have been rambling.

Thanks for listening, I hope it helps..

Old 01-16-2008, 08:52 AM

39 posts, read 235,149 times
Thanks for your response New Jersey Mike. A few bad seeds who abuse the Sec 8 program and the sometimes ridiculous inspection requirements that landlords have to meet to rent to a Sec 8 tenant make it really hard for responsible people on the program to find a decent place to live.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:53 AM

857 posts, read 2,002,722 times
republican: no
democrat: yes

Old 01-16-2008, 08:55 AM

39 posts, read 235,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy_2007 View Post
republican: no
democrat: yes
Huh ??????

Old 01-16-2008, 08:58 AM

857 posts, read 2,002,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeyab2004 View Post
Huh ??????
the title of the thread is "Is section 8 a good thing". republicans ubiquitously answer no, democrats; yes.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:37 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof4littleones View Post
I receive food stamps. While I am not on Section 8, I do have four children to feed. My husband walked out 3 weeks after the baby was born, and felt no need to provide groceries, money for electric, clothing, doctor's visits, etc. for the kids. I filed for child support back in April, and we are now in January and I have yet to receive the first regular CS payment, and I've had his wages garnished! So, my food stamps help to pay for the 5 gallons of milk I go through a week, the fresh apples, carrots, green beans, broccoli, chicken, beef cubes, yogurt, wheat bread, cereal bars, eggs, and other basics that me and my children need. I haven't totaled it up lately, but at one point before #3 was potty trained I was going through over $900 a month in groceries, with not a bit of junk in site! Formula, diapers, milk for the older kids, and good foods cost more than the junk foods.

Oh, and I do work part time from home. It would cost approximately $38,000 - $45,000 a year for the two little ones to go into daycare full-time, and the older two (ages 7 and 10) to go to before and after care. I don't know of any jobs in this area (gotta be within half an hour of the kids in case of emergency) that would pay enough for me to justify the luxury of getting to doll up, go to work, interact with adults, drive my car by myself, and get time away from the children every day. With four kids its pretty much guaranteed that one of them is going to be sick each month, and its not like their father is going to take time off from being a VP to stay at home with a sick child. He wouldn't even know which end to put the thermometer into! I won't always be a SAHM. When my littlest one is in school full-time, I will get a full-time job away from the house. But for now, I savor each new discovery my baby makes, and each messy art project my little guy makes. I missed out on all this with #1 because I was an executive assistant in a high pressure office.

Sorry for rambling, but my point is that not every person who uses food stamps is lazy or trying to beat the system. Tam, congratulations to you for succeeding. I was supposed to go back to nursing school this past fall, but unfortunately there was a waiting list for child care assistance, and I couldn't afford the daycare costs of $3,200 a month on my meager $1,200 a month income.

Good post, this is a very convincing point. Why is this guy allowed to split and we pay for his kids? This guy needs to be responsible, to just get up and walk out with kids and leave and not pay one dime is a big problem. I have no problem helping a women in this situation. You did not ask for this. This is a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey