Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2015, 10:32 AM

2 posts, read 6,013 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've been living in Maplewood NJ and in need of some advicefrom moms who've had high risk pregnancies. I'm currently 4 weekspregnant through IVF and am looking for a new OB and MFM - I'll be releasedfrom the fertility group at 8 weeks and would like to interview physicians inthe meantime.

Last year, I was 35, pregnant with twins and suffered a latemiscarriage at 19 weeks. My hospital was St. Barnabas where they are tied to NJPerinatal Associates and my OB was Contemporary Women's Care. With mysituation, I felt that both groups did not do everything they possibly could tosave my babies.

What I learned from that awful experience is that I want tofind the right doctors who share my philosophy and understand how extremelyworried I am and will be for the next 36 weeks about this pregnancy. I'mlooking for physicians who are willing to do whatever it takes for a high riskpregnancy. Although St. Barnabas is a great hospital, I will not go backknowing that the perinatal group tied to the hospital will be in charge of mypregnancy. I'm open to hospitals in the northern NJ and NYC area. Anyrecommendations or advice for other resources/groups that you know of would besuper helpful.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 11:12 AM

67 posts, read 91,896 times
I had a high risk pregnancy over age 35 delivered twins through IVF so I can be of some insight. I used the doctors at Summit Medical which is affiliated with Overlook & Morristown Hospital. I love it there. I see Dr. Gibbons. She is great. I saw another Dr. for perinatal visits at the Overlook hospital but cannot recall his name because it was almost 5 years ago. I never had a problem seeing any dr's there. If Dr. Gibbons was out & I had an issue there are covering doctors. They also have their own urgent care center so if the need ever arose you could just go there. The main facility for Summit Medical is in Berkeley Heights but Dr. Gibbons sees patients in the Westfield office. I'm not to far from Maplewood so the drive wouldn't be that bad for either location. Good luck with the pregnancy.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:47 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,488,710 times
Dr. David Principe- here is the link. it speaks for itself. I am at 32 weeks and feel blessed to have him as my Dr.

Dr. David L. Principe, MD - Elmwood Park, NJ - Maternal-Fetal Medicine & Obstetrics & Gynecology | Healthgrades

Old 05-13-2015, 12:11 PM

516 posts, read 1,005,368 times
Bump for Principe from me. He treated me at St Joseph's. When I had a complication, my OB group had him on speed dial and transferred me over. All the nurses at St Joseph's who cared for me who had complications were all cared for by Dr Principe as well... he is THAT good.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:04 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,488,710 times
^^^^
this...at yesterdays appointment I heard a woman speaking to another--she is being cared for by Principe and she is in the medical field herself--can have anyone she wants and chose him.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:38 PM

220 posts, read 379,323 times
We used Principe as well for high-risk twins, and my wife and I were very happy with him. He's a little unorthodox in terms of personality (might come off as sarcastic or too forward), which can turn some ppl off, but he really does care for his patients and has ample knowledge/experience. Don't be shy about hammering him with questions, he'll address every one of your concerns.

I think he's one of the few MFM OBs in NJ that still also delivers, and the nurses/staff are great as well. You'll need to deliver at St. Joseph's in Paterson (the area around the hospital is fine, right off of route 80), which isn't as big/fancy as Hackensack, but the NICU is very good.

FYI St Joe's recently ended their contract w/ United Healthcare I think last year. We got a scary letter from United a few wks after delivery that said our bill exceeded the insurance coverage amt (since the hospital was out of network) and we'd be on the hook (with the hospital) for the balance, which was as you can imagine, an obscene amount.

Principe assured us that the hospital would adjust whatever our bill ends up being down to the coverage level so there would be no overage balance, and I personally spoke w/ the CFO of St Joe's afterwards to confirm this (we have an email stating this as well for further proof). Just something to be aware of (and probably get confirmation in writing) if you're planning on delivering there and the hospital is outside of your provider's network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey