Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 08:41 PM

10 posts, read 10,741 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I will be moving to the States from Canada with my wife and 7months boy. I will be working in Midtown Manhattan and looking for a nice neighborhood for families, that is walkable and will 1hr or less commute to NYC. I have heard that Montclair, Nj is a great option. I am not too much of a city life ao so nightlife is really not important which is why Jersey City, Hoboken, etc are not my favorites

I have a budget of 2900$ per month for rent and I am not planning to buy. So here are my questions:

1. Is Montclair a good option?
2. Can 2900$ get me a 3bd close to groceries, restaurants, etc?
3. Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 09:45 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,428,453 times
Yes, Montclair, Nj worked for me for a while in commuting into midtown. It's pretty good commute. You can find something to eat, don't know about groceries.. groceries in walking distance are not to my satisfaction ! I like ShopRight so I have to drive. Whole Foods is overpriced for the stuff I don't really eat and PathMark is pretty horrible. The area around path-mark is the bad part of town.

Rental Listings in Montclair NJ - 55 Rentals | Zillow

Old 08-27-2015, 11:32 PM

378 posts, read 587,207 times
With that budget, I would prefer Summit or surrounding areas (New Providence, Chatham, Madison). These towns are safer than Montclair, but have perhaps fewer restaurant options.

Montclair is ok, but the train service there is a bit skimpy, particularly on weekends and there is more crime (auto theft, break-ins).

Old 08-28-2015, 09:34 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Montclair is awesome for what you describe. South Orange could be a nice option depending on rental stock. I know they're building a new luxury apartment building that's almost finished now. As pruebas said, New Providance, Chatham, and Madison are all nice as well but more expensive and a bit quieter. I love Madison's downtown area. I would pick Montclair just because I like the diversity of the population, the variety of businesses, and the housing stock better. Crime is extremely low, but yes, in certain areas there are people who walk around checking for unlocked cars (read the police logs and virtually every "break in" is actually someone opening an unlocked door).

Old 08-28-2015, 11:15 AM

Thanks for your answers. I'll look as well for the other areas you guys pointed out. In term of crime, I guess that beside auto theft, it is pretty safe right? My doors are always lock anyways

Old 08-28-2015, 12:18 PM

472 posts, read 812,659 times
You could also try South Orange/Maplewood. They're pretty similar to Montclair with nice downtowns and good restaurant options. The bad part of Montclair is pretty much restrained to the area near Lackawanna Plaza, which is pretty much New St, Mission St, Pine St, and that lower part of Bloomfield Ave.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:46 PM

Thanks Spaceman27.

I am searching for South Orange but seems like there is not much apartments available. Maybe I am looking at the wrong place. Any areas you suggest that are walkable.

For clarity,

We will have 1 car but my wife would travel to montreal a week r 2 each month with the car so I would be left with no car hence why I am looking for something close to groceries, public transportation, etc

Old 08-28-2015, 01:17 PM

19 posts, read 39,682 times
Default Montclair info

Hello,
I am in Montclair now-I work here. You can find a lovely victorian type house-but usually only 1 floor, not the whole house for that price. There is a train line that goes into NYC, called the NJ Transit, Montclair Boonton line and they have several stops. So you don't have to live downtown. There is the Watchung Train stop which is located in the center of town surrounded by shops and residences-its a safe, charming area. Overall, it is a pretty nice place-it was originally settled by Presbyterians from New Haven, CT.

Upper Montclair also has a train stop and its an upscale area (the most expensive) but it has a couple nice parks with playgrounds for kids.

The Walnut Ave train stop also has stores around it-but its more urban. The Pathmark food store is closing, but we don't know what will take its's place. There are universities and hospitals nearby too.

The town has at least 2 town pools and a large YMCA which offers camp. A museum which has Art classes and camp for kids. It has a an excellent library with a cool tea shop and classes. 2 private schools. The public schools use bussing to even out the disparities of wealth and working class. I don't know if I personally would send my kids to public school there because of the lower end of students pulling it down-but many of the kids get into the best colleges.

In case you are not aware-crime can be serious-due to the proximity to Newark mainly-so just be aware of that and lock your doors, etc.
And, if you are standing at bus-stops late at night-I think an Uber cab would be safer. You will like the restaurants, artsy aspects (film festival, etc.) and the liberal culture if that is what you are looking for.
Good luck.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:56 PM

472 posts, read 812,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlombard View Post
Thanks Spaceman27.

I am searching for South Orange but seems like there is not much apartments available. Maybe I am looking at the wrong place. Any areas you suggest that are walkable.

For clarity,

We will have 1 car but my wife would travel to montreal a week r 2 each month with the car so I would be left with no car hence why I am looking for something close to groceries, public transportation, etc
Well, the area near downtown South Orange is naturally very walkable. The less walkable areas would be up near South Mountain Reservation. Anyways, the apartments that fit your criteria are probably out of your range. Did you try Maplewood yet?

Old 08-31-2015, 12:28 PM

Hi Spaceman27m

I did not try Maplewood yet. I will come to NY/NJ in september for some scouting. I think getting my feet wet would be better. i think I'll visit East Orange, Maplewood, Montclair and East Rutherford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey