Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 07:11 PM

7 posts, read 28,788 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move from upstate new york to new jersey. Have a 3 year old son who is diagnosed with mild Autism. Looking for best counties/cities in New jersey that provide special education preschool and special ed programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 08:09 PM

390 posts, read 1,367,637 times
Bergen County Special Services is supposed to be an excellent program. Not all towns are willing to pay to send their children there though, so you may have to put up a fight, even if you're in Bergen County.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 14,199 times
My son is about to attend Trivalley program in Bergenfield. I've heard great feedback from his current therapists. Trivalley serves Bergenfield, New Milford, and Dumont (from what I understand). This is a public school, in case you are wondering. Trivalley serves children in the spectrum.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:29 PM

128 posts, read 193,335 times
Sage Day is good. Some kids don't have any issues and just go because bullying, but some kids have depression or autism. Your district will pay for it, too. The high schools are in Rochelle Park or Boonton, and the middle school is in Mahwah.

But for preschools, I don't really know any. You could use greatschools.com

Old 01-29-2014, 12:44 AM

3,021 posts, read 5,853,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by townrater View Post
Sage Day is good. Some kids don't have any issues and just go because bullying, but some kids have depression or autism. Your district will pay for it, too. The high schools are in Rochelle Park or Boonton, and the middle school is in Mahwah.

But for preschools, I don't really know any. You could use greatschools.com

It is a false assumption that "your district will pay for it"

The reality is that it is extremely difficult to impossible to get a district to pay for an out-of-district placment.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:44 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,790,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
It is a false assumption that "your district will pay for it"

The reality is that it is extremely difficult to impossible to get a district to pay for an out-of-district placment.
Especially for "mild autism". Out of district placements are usually for more severe cases, and only when the district cannot adequately meet needs of the child in-district. Sometimes this takes lots of fighting to prove that the district is not meeting needs; so the child's needs are unmet before out-of-district is approved. For out-of-district, best bet is finding districts that are OK with, and send a number of kids out-of-district at their expense.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:49 AM

396 posts, read 708,431 times
Two great school systems for both--Millburn and Bernards

Old 01-29-2014, 08:09 AM

777 posts, read 2,381,085 times
Bergen County has excellent special needs schools, both public and private. My autistic son attends the Valley Pi Program in Harrington Park.

There are many schools and programs available in Bergen County, it depends on what type of school and therapy method you are looking for.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:08 PM

200 posts, read 555,148 times
Ive heard great things about Bernards Twp school system for programs for children with special needs.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:13 PM

23 posts, read 59,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonGrace View Post
Two great school systems for both--Millburn and Bernards

I know you have been saying good things about Millburn but I have serious doubt after reading this article
Special education court ruling a topic of discussion in Millburn : page 2 - NorthJersey.com

it took a lot of money and time to go to court, who advised the BOE?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey