Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 06:37 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,787,209 times

Advertisements

I love Princeton but commute is long (ok for 3 days imo) and parking at station has long waiting lists.

Princeton is VERY compeittive academically. The HS kids are taking far more advanced classes than other schools in NJ ( I saw their course offerings once, there were TONS of classes at college level - not just AP either - that the students can take and some go to Princeton if they exhaust options at HS. Schools have a high percent Asian kids that are driven VERY hard by their parents for academic success (and music and even sports - usually individual sports). I would just know what you're getting into and whether your gut is that your kids can handle this type of environment. I would call it the opposite of "low key"; that said, you make it what you want. There are nice amenities (town, nice community pool, university aspect, restaurants etc). And you have the budget.

You may also want to look into Hopewell Twp nearby (in range of the other train station which has a multilevel parking garage).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 08:51 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,456,439 times
not to hijack your thread- but I agree with many posters here the area is very competative- unless you live in Princeton proper there isn't much of a downtown and everything is 15+ min way if you live in Plainsboro/WW.
Have you considered some parts of Monmouth County? Holmdel and Rumson/Fair Haven schools can hang with Princeton/Plainsboro/WW, but the towns are much more laid back, more sense of community in my opinion. Your budget will go far- even in Rumson. Depending on where in midtown your husband works the bus from Holmdel is a quick trip and even the ferry to midtown is a possibility.
The towns have a good number of transplants from NYC & North Jersey (Essex/Union counties) looking for a bit more relaxed atmosphere but still great schools, sense of community, and amenities. Holmdel is a bigger town, less "walkable" but lots of shopping is a quick car ride away. Rumson/Fair Haven both have cute downtowns with a few small shops and restaurants and you are close to Red Bank with more shopping, restaurants, and cultural amenities as well. Just a thought!!

Last edited by Metsfan53; 11-24-2015 at 09:06 AM..

Old 11-30-2015, 10:51 AM

48 posts, read 71,335 times
Thanks all. Darn! We feel so stuck. We looked into the Monmouth county area but there's no express train. My husband wouldn't mind taking the ferry occasionally. He hates the bus though.
People keep telling us the Princeton area is more laidback. Stinks.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:18 PM

31 posts, read 50,567 times
Look at Robbinsville too. More laid back than Princeton and easier access to shopping. Rte 1 is no fun!

Very nice community, less snooty, good schools, closer to Tkpe and 195, Option to use both Hamilton and Princeton Jct NJT Stations.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:22 PM

244 posts, read 597,689 times
My good friend lives in Robbinsville with 4 young children. She absolutely loves it. I second checking it out. We looked there when we searched for homes but commuting there to the city 5 days a week would be tough.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:42 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times
Robbinsville is a great place, the new town centre is nicely laid out with a mix of residential and commercial real estate. The township is large with some older and newer (think MacMansion) homes. It was pretty much nothing but farmland when we moved here 20+ years ago.

The HS is pretty new and doing really well.

Problem is access to the train stations, getting to the Hamilton or PJ stations will require a 20 minute drive. Rt. 33 is a congested PITA. But I am spoiled.

Princeton area might be more laid back than where you are, it is relative.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama7 View Post
Thanks all. Darn! We feel so stuck. We looked into the Monmouth county area but there's no express train. My husband wouldn't mind taking the ferry occasionally. He hates the bus though.
People keep telling us the Princeton area is more laidback. Stinks.
The ferry is a great way to commute -- just pricey!!

I love Rumson and Fair Haven. Parts of Rumson are wealthy...both towns are on expensive side but no more than Princeton, and agree sense of community is high. Schools rated great also; but without that extreme academia that exists in Princeton.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:56 PM

I think Hopewell might be nice, but it is further from the train...may be too far to commute to NYC.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:39 PM

38 posts, read 79,472 times
If you are thinking about Hopewll, you might consider going a bit further North to Flemington in Hunterdon County. Very laid-back, small-town feel. People in Hunterdon like the outdoors. Farming, hunting, cycling, ballooning, hiking, camping, kayaking etc, it's all here. There are also lots of small-town things going on like craft fairs, farmers markets, church suppers, balloon festivals, Shad festivals (yes, they celebrate fish), fishing derby. While all of Hunterdon is nice, I'm specifically mentioning Flemington because they have an underused bus service (Trans Bridge) that will get you to NYC in 75 minutes - which is longer than you want, but if you like the area, it might be worth it. The parking lot never fills up.

There are plenty of housing options in the town and surrounding areas. You can get a little cape or a ranch, an antique farmhouse or Victorian, a condo, or a McMansion on a cul-de-sac. Lots of options. The school system is a big bit, but very good. An alternative would be the southern portion Clinton Township, which is one town north of Flemington. You can still get to that same bus line in about 15 minutes. Excellent school system, and smaller than Flemington. Not competitive, not snooty. There are plenty of activities like martial arts, music, sport, etc., but I never felt pressured to over program my kids. If your kids like baseball, Diamond Nation is headquartered here.

Clinton Township also has a park & ride with the same bus company, but it is notorious for filling up before 6:30am. There is also a commuter lot off of Rt. 78 at the Hunterdon Hills Playhouse. Parking is by permit only, so you don't have to take your chances each day. The housing around Hunterdon Hills Playhouse is more rural, though. If you live in that area, you won't have many neighbors.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:47 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Hopewell, pennington, or West Windsor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey