Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 01:07 PM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Hey, when did I miss the memo.

The parkway south bound is no longer 55mph between 100 and 80.

Strange but north bound between 80 and 100 is still 55.

The sate DOT moves in mysterious ways.

The posted limits are just for reference. Changing signs from 55 to 65 will have zero impact on traffic speed.

Posted speed limits only matter if you go to court.

Now you might ask if those new signs, or the old signs, were officially 'approved'.

327 FI
283 FI
Ramjet 350
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 04:02 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post

The posted limits are just for reference. Changing signs from 55 to 65 will have zero impact on traffic speed.

Now you might ask if those new signs, or the old signs, were officially 'approved'.

327 FI
283 FI
Ramjet 350

Even at 55, people were still doing 80.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:58 PM

173 posts, read 245,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...he_1925_routes

The numbered highway system began approximately after 1925, and continued into the mid 1950s until passage of the Eisenhower bill.

The historical "Route 66" was one of the first routes to achieve highway number designation. In the case of New Jersey roads, US 9, US 130, and US 46 all have the very familiar federal highway armor shield. In contrast, a route like Route 10 through Morris County is a state highway, and has a different circular shield. Of course, I-95, I-80, etc, all came into prominence after 1956.
Oh, so u are referring to US Highways. Got it! Yes, I am familiar with the US Highway system, I guess I never heard it referred to as Federal. Unlike the interstates, the lower digits are towards the North and East. I enjoy Learning about historical things. Thanks!

Old 01-31-2016, 12:06 PM

702 posts, read 540,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Even at 55, people were still doing 80.

I usually do around 68-70 MPH on the 55 limited GSP (I drive from 142 down to 130 to pick up the NJTP) and find most other traffic does the same. On the 65 limited NJTP I do 78-80.

Never been pulled over on either road, even when I had Pennsylvania tags. You might get away with 80 on the GSP, but >15 MPH over the limit is a huge fine.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack2000 View Post
I usually do around 68-70 MPH on the 55 limited GSP (I drive from 142 down to 130 to pick up the NJTP) and find most other traffic does the same. On the 65 limited NJTP I do 78-80.

Never been pulled over on either road, even when I had Pennsylvania tags. You might get away with 80 on the GSP, but >15 MPH over the limit is a huge fine.
Really? I Know most cops will give u 10 over, but when I lived in NJ, I would get stopped if I did 78 in a 65. So I used to set cruise around 73, or so, to have a little margin for error. As long as I stayed within 10 over, never had a problem.
Where I live now, we have limits of 75 and 80 (on some roads), so I set cruise at 83, and 88, respectively, so as to avoid tickets. I usually go about 8 over whatever the posted limit is, no more than 10 over, unless theres an area that I Know has no cops, then I go for it, LOL.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:53 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,111,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Rams View Post
Really? I Know most cops will give u 10 over, but when I lived in NJ, I would get stopped if I did 78 in a 65. So I used to set cruise around 73, or so, to have a little margin for error. As long as I stayed within 10 over, never had a problem.
Where I live now, we have limits of 75 and 80 (on some roads), so I set cruise at 83, and 88, respectively, so as to avoid tickets. I usually go about 8 over whatever the posted limit is, no more than 10 over, unless theres an area that I Know has no cops, then I go for it, LOL.
Time of day. If you're driving at some not busy time, better stick to less than 10 over.

If you're driving at a busy time, 15-20mph over or more may be the middle lane speed of travel and you have a near 0% chance of getting pulled over. The Turnpike near NYC comes to mind. The signs often say 45mph at AM/PM rush, but assuming it's moving, it's moving at 70+.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
Time of day. If you're driving at some not busy time, better stick to less than 10 over.

If you're driving at a busy time, 15-20mph over or more may be the middle lane speed of travel and you have a near 0% chance of getting pulled over. The Turnpike near NYC comes to mind. The signs often say 45mph at AM/PM rush, but assuming it's moving, it's moving at 70+.
Maybe Tpke is different. I used to drive I-80, between Hope (exit 12), and Parsippany and there were cops all over, and they would definitely ticket if ya go over 10. Day Or Night. They even pulled me over twice, for just driving in the left lane! Just got warnings, for that, but was informed that left lane is for passing only. Very nitpicky. Glad u had Good Luck.
Now living in ND, we have higher limits (75), and in SD/WY they have 80. The thing is, some cops will write a ticket for 10 over, so I keep it under 10. Thats on the main highways. But there are large swaths of rural country highways, where u may go 50-100 miles without seeing a cop (or another human being for that matter), so u can pretty much name your speed on those roads. But this too, is at your own risk, because I have un-Fortunately, run into a few cops when I least expected it, and been ticketed. LOL, Won some, lose some!

Old 02-02-2016, 10:58 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,573,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Mike's reply is spot-on.

The Federal Highway System is designated by black letters and numbers on white shields.
• Single and double-digit odd numbers run North/South with lower numbers being further east and higher numbers being further west.
• Single and double-digit even numbers run East/West with lower numbers being further north and higher numbers being further south.
• Three-digit numbers are spurs or parallel routes to the two-digit numbers indicated last, (although some run hundreds of miles apart from the main route.) Many were old roads that predated the federal highway system, hence renumbered after the system was created.

In New Jersey, east/west federal highways include US-22, US-30, US-40, US-46 (although 46 is mis-numbered for it's location.) North/south federal highways include US-1 and US-9. Three-digit roadways include US-130, US-202, US-206, US-322. I've probably omitted some.

Not to be confused with the newer Eisenhower Interstate Highway System — white letters on blue and red shields. The two are similar in how they're numbered but with lower and upper locations revered — the reason New Jersey has US-1 but Interstate-95, both running north south, the farthest east along America's east coast.
The Federal Highway system .. aka US highways .. is just a nationwide numbering system. The roads are built and maintained by the states. NJ does has not had state highway numbers duplicate US highway numbers since 1953. Route 70 was orginally Route 40, it was changed because US 40 is in NJ. In NJ the common use is "Route xxx" other states like Florida you will hear State Road or SRxx, USxx. ( ie Florida has a SR 19 and US 19)

Interstate Highways were built originally with 90% funding from federal governtment and 10% from the states. The states maintain them.

However with changes in highway funding bills over the years the 90/10 formula is no more. The federal government will pay for different projects, so there can be state highways that are build with federal money.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
The Federal Highway system .. aka US highways .. is just a nationwide numbering system. The roads are built and maintained by the states. NJ does has not had state highway numbers duplicate US highway numbers since 1953. Route 70 was orginally Route 40, it was changed because US 40 is in NJ. In NJ the common use is "Route xxx" other states like Florida you will hear State Road or SRxx, USxx. ( ie Florida has a SR 19 and US 19)

Interstate Highways were built originally with 90% funding from federal governtment and 10% from the states. The states maintain them.

However with changes in highway funding bills over the years the 90/10 formula is no more. The federal government will pay for different projects, so there can be state highways that are build with federal money.
What is the main difference between US and state highways? Do US highways have to go to at least 2 states? I would think US 46 is an exception, then? Although it does touch NY at the GWB.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:11 PM

351 posts, read 482,361 times
In NJ, 1-14 over will get you a 2 point ticket. I often see traffic go 15-20 over. If you get pullled over for that it's the same as getting a ticket for going 28 over (15-29 = 4 pts). Might as well go 93 to get the best for your $ in a 65 zone. Don't do 29+ otherwise its 5 points plus they'll probably address reckless driving which is another 5 points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey