Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 10:32 PM

11 posts, read 12,826 times

Advertisements

Let me suggest Bridgewater. This town is centrally located - junction of Rt 78, 22 , 202, 206. A few train stations. Doable commute - appr 45 min. Very desirable town with great schools. House lots are big enough, taxes low, you can buy a decent house for $300K.

Last edited by Global Friend; 04-08-2016 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: No soliciting. Please refer to the TOS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 07:05 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJpoliticiansarecrooks View Post
Again with the schools nonsense. Again it's more up to the individual student as well as the home environment. Except for the well-known couple dozen districts that are exceptions and don't need to be named, nearly all public schools in the state are "good."
I agree. If your kid is an average student, living in Westfield or Ridgewood isn't going to magically make his or her IQ soar. In most NJ suburban towns, a kid who works hard and studies will get into college.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-08-2016 at 08:11 AM..

Old 04-08-2016, 08:54 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
174 E Mill Rd, Washington Township, NJ 07853 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Ticks every box but commute will be about 1 hr in off times.

A little over your price range but could probably get it down.

Check out Mt. Olive also.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:12 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBuyersRebate View Post
Let me suggest Bridgewater. This town is centrally located - junction of Rt 78, 22 , 202, 206. A few train stations. Doable commute - appr 45 min.
Bridgewater to Secaucus is only 45 minutes during off peak hours. During rush hour it's more like 1hr 15mins. 78 and 22 get very backed up heading east in the morning and heading west in the afternoon.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:19 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,255,242 times
To mightyqueen and njpolotician,
There is a big correlation between sat scores and community wealth. There is an even bigger correlation between sat scores and financial and professional success

Old 04-08-2016, 11:38 AM

155 posts, read 303,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBuyersRebate View Post
Let me suggest Bridgewater. This town is centrally located - junction of Rt 78, 22 , 202, 206. A few train stations. Doable commute - appr 45 min. Very desirable town with great schools. House lots are big enough, taxes low, you can buy a decent house for $300K. I am going to have a new listing there in a few weeks. Let me know if interested.
I would absolutely look at Bridgewater. Affordable houses are found in the Bradley Gardens section. Bridgewater is safe, good schools and LOW TAXES! It's about 45 minutes to Seacaucus with no traffic but with your hours I think you will be ok! You could also look at Raritan, right next to Bridgewater. They share a school district and the taxes are also low.

It kind of depends on what you're looking for but I think Bridgewater is a great deal. Take a look!

Old 04-08-2016, 05:37 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,455,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomervilleCat View Post
I would absolutely look at Bridgewater. Affordable houses are found in the Bradley Gardens section. Bridgewater is safe, good schools and LOW TAXES! It's about 45 minutes to Seacaucus with no traffic but with your hours I think you will be ok! You could also look at Raritan, right next to Bridgewater. They share a school district and the taxes are also low.

It kind of depends on what you're looking for but I think Bridgewater is a great deal. Take a look!
Bridgewater is one to add to your shortlist, with one (large) caveat, make sure the houses you are considering are not located in a flood zone! There are many homes in Bridgewater, and in Bradley Gardens, that are in a well known flood zone and would require flood insurance. (not to mention the frequent nightmare of being evacuated and having your home flooded out!) The same is true with regards to Raritan, and other towns in the vicinity. (Manville, Bound Brook, Greenbrook, etc)

Another thing to consider with Bridgewater is that the town does not provide garbage collection and several other community services which most other communities provide. Residents must contract and pay for their own refuse collection. While the current cost of paying for garbage collection is a nominal ~$50 a month, community services are likely to be cut further as the town figures out how to pay for the 7.5 Mil settlement of the Mosque lawsuit , (Bridgewater mosque settlement: $7.75 million) and further budget cuts are likely to impact residents pocketbooks more.

KoalaNJ

Old 04-08-2016, 06:29 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,752,651 times
You should consider Ringwood, very family oriented your children would love it. Taxes are a bit on the high side but you may be able to find something in that range if you stay a little further from the lakes. (Definitely consider a home with lake rights though!)

Commute to Secaucus is a little under an hour during normal rush hour traffic, 35 minutes during off peak.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:15 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,455,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
You should consider Ringwood, very family oriented your children would love it. Taxes are a bit on the high side but you may be able to find something in that range if you stay a little further from the lakes. (Definitely consider a home with lake rights though!)

Commute to Secaucus is a little under an hour during normal rush hour traffic, 35 minutes during off peak.

While Ringwood may be a wonderful community, why are you suggesting it as a possibility to the OP when it clearly does not match their criteria? The OP clearly stated their budget restrictions, a 3+ bed 1.5+ ba home for under $300k with property taxes not to exceed $7500/yearly. A home fitting the OP bed/bath/SF/lot size would run in the $9,000/yr range in Ringwood! I so wish people would not waste the time of OP's by giving suggestions that clearly do not fit their criteria! (could it be you are trying to sell a home in Ringwood?)

KoalaNJ

Old 04-09-2016, 10:53 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,601,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykstevenyg View Post
Check out southern Bergen county.
I was going to say North Arlington...
I don't know much about Secaucus schools but I know a few highly educated professionals with kids (H1Bers who are highly motivated people and care a lot about their childrens' education) who live there and send their kids to the schools there. I also know an east asian couple in Nutley and they commute to lower Manhattan. Their kids attend the schools in Nutley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey