Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 06:35 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I am one of those successes.
My Dad graduated from Newark College of Engineering, which is now NJIT. My sister went to NJITand is a software engineer.

I worked in the engineering and construction fields, so I knew lots of NJIT graduates, although I myself am not a graduate of anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 07:27 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
You know NJIT also exists. It is not as well known as Rutgers but its graduates are well regarded at least in the tri state area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
I honestly don't know that much about it to comment on it one way or another. I've lived in New Jersey for 20 years and have never heard much about it but that could easily be due to my own ignorance and not being in the stem field.
Yes, it is due to your ignorance.

Seriously, however, I can't imagine living in NJ and feeling competent enough to comment about the state's pros and cons without having heard about the excellence of NJIT.
  • PayScale.com ranked NJIT in the top 1 percent of all public colleges for ROI and fourth in alumni mid-career earning potential among public research universities nationwide.
  • Money magazine recently named NJIT as one of the top 25 colleges nationwide where you can earn six figures, citing PayScale’s study that found the mid-career median salary of an NJIT graduate with a bachelor’s degree is $101,000.
  • Bloomberg Businessweek ranked NJIT in the top 10 percent nationally for ROI and classified NJIT as one of four higher education “best buys” in New Jersey.
These findings have been well publicized over the past few years.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:14 AM

10,483 posts, read 7,005,412 times
The original poster obviously doesn't know much about NJ schools, NJIT, TCNJ, Princeton, Seton Hall are all very competitive

Additionally, Christie is the best thing that has happened to this state in a very long time. Honestly if he wasn't Governor I would of probably moved out a few years ago.

Also someone said AC beaches are very nice. I disagree, AC is a misguided tourist trap, the entire city is a cesspool including the beach.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:51 AM

5,155 posts, read 3,762,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
And don't forget the "tarballs".

In the 80's I saw a young lady get tarballed right on her back in Sandy Hook and believe me she wasn't happy.

It's of course MUCH better now.
Sandy Hook? I do NOT consider SH a beach area at all and the only time I would ever consider getting in the water around there is after a 6 pack or two in 90+ degree weather.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
The original poster obviously doesn't know much about NJ schools, NJIT, TCNJ, Princeton, Seton Hall are all very competitive

Additionally, Christie is the best thing that has happened to this state in a very long time. Honestly if he wasn't Governor I would of probably moved out a few years ago.

Also someone said AC beaches are very nice. I disagree, AC is a misguided tourist trap, the entire city is a cesspool including the beach.
I said the beach at AC not the town. What has changed about the beach area and the surrounding water in the last 100 years?

Old 04-30-2016, 10:32 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
I said the beach at AC not the town. What has changed about the beach area and the surrounding water in the last 100 years?
I know someone whose stuff was robbed right off the beach in AC. Wallet and keys. They were not just sitting out in the open, they were hidden. I've never personally heard of that happening to anyone I know anywhere else in NJ. People frequently leave their things on their towels/under umbrellas to get food, take a walk, take a dip, etc. Not to say it's never happened to anyone, just not anyone I know to this point. I think AC is sketchy, even right on the beach. You'll see all types. Less so elsewhere in my experience.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I know someone whose stuff was robbed right off the beach in AC. Wallet and keys. They were not just sitting out in the open, they were hidden. I've never personally heard of that happening to anyone I know anywhere else in NJ. People frequently leave their things on their towels/under umbrellas to get food, take a walk, take a dip, etc. Not to say it's never happened to anyone, just not anyone I know to this point. I think AC is sketchy, even right on the beach. You'll see all types. Less so elsewhere in my experience.
You're talking about people I am talking about Nature.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:53 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
You're talking about people I am talking about Nature.
I understand that but to me, safety plays a big part in deciding which beach I go to. I would rather go to Seaside Park and not have my stuff stolen than go to Atlantic City and risk that because of the area and the types of people it attracts. I don't think there's anything wrong with the beach itself but the people you find there may turn you off, depending on what and who you are used to, and how vigilant you are.

Nature-wise, IMO Island Beach State Park is the most beautiful.

Old 04-30-2016, 03:03 PM

10,483 posts, read 7,005,412 times
Quote:
What has changed in the past 100 years?? Oh i dont know, 50ft behind you in the beach area is a nasty boardwalk full of crackheads, heroine addicts, beggers, hookers, thugs, stray cats and strange foreigners.

I don't know one single (sane) person, who goes to AC for the beach there, unless you fall into that group above.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:04 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,197,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I guess then Fred Flintstone said it right "Frantic" City.

AC is depressing imho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey