Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 10:16 AM

538 posts, read 734,616 times

Advertisements

We are a one car household, so we share a car and both drive it daily to get the kid to/from daycare. Usually if we're both going someplace at the same time I'll (man) drive. This isn't due to any lack of ability of my wife's to drive safely, I think I just like to drive. It probably stems from the fact that I don't sleep well in cars, while she does so whenever we'd do long distance driving I would end up driving so she could nap. As we were living in Manhattan and didn't have a car most of the driving earlier in our relationship was renting a car for a long distance drive so we probably got used to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 10:23 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,319,417 times
Default Which Sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
I have noticed lately that men are passengers and women are drivers for many couples. This seems to be a complete reversal of roles. I am curious as to why males no longer feel the need to drive? Personally I can't stand the way my wife drives and when we go out I am the driver. Just curious about this phenomenon. Who does the driving in tour household? Your husband or your wife. Why?
Many of my guy friends have their wives drive because closing their eyes is easier than closing their ears.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:53 AM

175 posts, read 223,983 times
Talk about a pointless thread - why does it matter? ....

Old 05-16-2016, 06:11 PM

88,655 posts, read 84,943,363 times
I'm an unmarried/divorced woman. I drive everywhere. Upstate NY to see my daughter, DC/NOVA to visit a good friend, Vermont. Two years ago I was driving from Monmouth County to Laguardia for work a few times a week. I drive to Jersey City when I have to go to the city. I just accepted a job in Brooklyn four days a week. Will have to drive there.

I barely "fix my hair" at home, let alone while I'm driving.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:22 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,234,006 times
When I'm driving, I'm going too fast for you to notice who is driving and who is a passenger. My wife drives more sedately.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:55 PM

20,350 posts, read 19,953,413 times
I pretty much do the driving when my wife and I go out. Why? Who knows.

If she ever said "I'll drive this time", I'd say "OK".

To the poster who notices women with their feet on the dash, I've thought the same thing.

If/when the air bags go off that is going to be one excruciating painful lesson.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:57 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,296,816 times
Whomever grabs the keys is the one who drives, no big deal either way for us.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:48 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,711,145 times
50/50 - depends on which car and who feels like driving, and it's been this way in the 28 yrs we've been together. I'll drive anywhere, anytime. I traveled alone for work for years all over the nation so there's isn't a major city I haven't driven in.

My parents, who would be 88/94 if they were still alive, also split the driving 50/50.

Your observations don't fit what I see.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:47 AM

334 posts, read 732,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
50/50 - depends on which car and who feels like driving, and it's been this way in the 28 yrs we've been together. I'll drive anywhere, anytime. I traveled alone for work for years all over the nation so there's isn't a major city I haven't driven in.

My parents, who would be 88/94 if they were still alive, also split the driving 50/50.

Your observations don't fit what I see.
Ditto for me.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:06 PM

10,512 posts, read 7,042,290 times
Very pointless thread, but here is my observation. If you're offended by it, I truly don't care because it's my observation.

Men are being wussified and neutered by culture. Men have a better sense of navigation then women, they are more aggressive, quick acting, more aware of their surroundings, able to tune out distractions (such as nagging girlfriend/wife) and naturally better at driving. Something has been happening over the years known as the wussification of men. I don't have the pinpoint what is causing this but a few things come to mind such as the seepage of fertilizers creating estrogen in food, anti-perspeant deodorant creates estrogen, men are doing less physical work thus making less testosterone.

These are my theories and I'm sure some will be proven right why less men are driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey