Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 09:29 AM

6 posts, read 3,489 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I've found this site to be very helpful to others and have read many other threads for advice, however, I'm still a bit confused.

I am planning on relocating to NJ from my current Chelsea, NY apt. I would love to buy a home, but initially I want to rent just to get adjusted. I have only visited NJ for day trips or to shop so I'm unfamiliar with day to day life. Through reading forums like these and researching, I am becoming more confident and know, for many reasons, this is where I'd like to settle down.

I'm looking for a town with a commute to NYC of less than an hour for work (give or take a few minutes but not by much), decent MIDDLE schools (a trend I see is that elementary schools are great in many towns but the middle school drops severely), CULTURAL DIVERSITY (a mix of EVERYTHING- clearly better towns will be mostly White, but I'd rather it not be 99.9% White, maybe 70-80% and the remainder equally spread just to be specific and honest), SAFE, great parks, walkable downtown, and most importantly, I'd like if they have Multi level townhomes for rent because that is what I'd prefer.

Budget is 3k max per month.

Some towns that keep being suggested are Montclair (all great but I don't see townhomes), Summit area (not diverse enough), maplewood (nice but I keep reading controversy about if it's safe or not or it being too close to undesirable and unsafe neighboring towns) and West Windsor/Princeton (too far from NYC). Are there any towns that you all might suggest? I know native Jersey folks know of smaller, under the radar gems which is what I'm looking for.

My apologies in advance if any pertinent information is missing.
Thank you in advance.

Also if I'm far fetched, let me know that as well! Any and all feedback will be respected and appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 10:18 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,868,278 times
Cranford has a ton of new apartments going up and the middle schools are good, but the diversity is a factor. I'm not sure how many multilevel townhomes are available for that matter but it's a very safe town with a walkable downtown. The other annoying thing is the transfer at Newark from the Raritan Line. But I think you could rent an actual house at 3K and get a yard out of the deal. Westfield is also great but I'm not sure what their apartment situation is like these days.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:06 AM

Thank you! Will check them out

Old 05-25-2016, 12:32 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
South Orange meets your requirements, and there are a couple of townhouses for rent in a great location downtown. However, if you are uncomfortable with Maplewood, you'll probably feel the same way about South Orange. (Note that Montclair also adjoins sketchy towns. Diversity doesn't happen in a vacuum.) Also, the townhouses are a bit above your budget (3.4K and 3.5K). Just putting it out there as a data point.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:50 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
You live in Chelsea now, which means you can throw a rock and hit some projects. South Orange and Maplewood will be fine provided you don't actually live on the Newark or Irvington border. I'm not sure why you think Summit isn't diverse; I guess if it's black people, specifically, you're looking for there aren't as many in Summit, but Summit has a large Hispanic population.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:19 PM

Manhattan is a melting pot which is what I love about it. I said Summit is not diverse based on this forum and the wiki census data. It doesn't have to be AA people, just a mixture of everything like I stated. I'd like my children surrounded by what is REAL not living in a bubble, so that they can also grow to be tolerant and comfortable with everyone. Granted, better areas won't be anything near equal, but again, like I said, I'd like it to be as realistic as possible. I currently pay 6k/month but wanted to cut my costs in half for the down payment necessary after my time renting once I'm comfortable with the areas. I will go up on the 3k if it's worth it but I'd rather not since there are many options within this budget especially since I'm renting.

Chelsea is a huge area, i can't throw a rock and hit the projects. I've never even passed them in my 5 years in the area because they are in an isolated section farther up the avenues and essentially I've never been concerned because they don't bring crime to the area like the towns in Jersey seem to from viewing this forum and the news. Everyone on this forum talks nonstop about the 'bad areas' being close to good areas and stories of getting cars stolen, robbed, houses broken in etc are overwhelming and seem like common practice as opposed to isolated incidents. Lastly, the small area of projects don't bring down the entire area of Chelsea as suggested in Jersey. The schools are still rated 9/10 in Chelsea, while Jersey schools close to bad areas are 2/3. Literally.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:50 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Let me put it another way: If you want a diverse town (more diverse than Summit), good schools, and less than an hour commute to Manhattan, you really only have three choices -- South Orange, Maplewood, and Montclair.

They're all good choices; all have small less-desirable areas you'd want to avoid, and only South Orange's isn't obvious.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:48 AM

Thank you, much appreciated. How about Fair Lawn, NJ? Do you have any opinion there?

Old 05-28-2016, 12:40 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,737 times
South Orange - quickest commute and there are townhouses in your budget near the train station
Maplewood - also has a few townhouses that should be in budget and near town
Montclair - Not much in the townhouse department. However you may find houses for rent in budget. Much more active town in terms of nightlife and such.

West orange - has a ton of townhouses and will be cheaper than the other towns most likely. But the commute is more difficult, however they do have jitneys to the train station. So if yo look here make sure you are in walking distance to a jitney.

Old 05-28-2016, 04:11 PM

619 posts, read 575,514 times
Where are you going to be commuting to? I rent in fair lawn (radburn side of fair lawn)and commute to mid town East (around third and 40th). In a best case scenario, if I make seamless connections and take the subway from Penn instead of walking, my commute is75 minutes each way. If you work in lower Manhattan, your commute would probably be less (NJ transit plus path).

I don't have children in school but I understand the schools are excellent.

My only complaint is that there are virtually no stores in this city, other than a strange plethora of nail, and hair salons, and dry cleaners. But if you have a car you are close to great shopping. Otherwise it's a quiet, friendly and boringly safe town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey