Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 10:24 PM

256 posts, read 311,644 times

Advertisements

Great, thx!

I don't want to open new thread just to ask one question about Ridgewood, so I'll just ask here.

Could you tell me something about this part of the town? Click image for larger version

Name:	Ridgewood NJ.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	173166
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 08:00 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klara View Post
Great, thx!

I don't want to open new thread just to ask one question about Ridgewood, so I'll just ask here.

Could you tell me something about this part of the town? Attachment 173166

Nice area, near the downtown "Main Street" parts of town (East Ridgewood Avenue and Franklin Avenue are those areas to the left of your area on the map--see "Bookends" and "Starbucks", etc.

I had a friend once who lived on North Irving. Nice house, nice neighborhood.

You could walk to the business area, and if you go the other way, you can walk to the Duck Pond, which is a Ridgewood park with a walking area, place to take a kid, etc. You are also not far from the high school.

Franklin and East Ridgewood Avenues are busy roads leading to Route 17 and Paramus Road, so there will be traffic on them most of the time. The side streets are quieter.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:52 AM

667 posts, read 1,744,677 times
Quote:
Great, thx!

Could you tell me something about this part of the town? Attachment 173166

No bad areas in RW although there are definitely some social-economic gaps. That being said the community programs, shops and restaurants in the village are well documented. It's a great town with "low end" housing starting at about $450k with the sweet spot for anything "reasonable" is $650-$950k (and keeps going up), hence why these houses sell like hotcakes.

That area is close enough to downtown to walk and enjoy but keep in mind that Maple/East RW section is a pretty busy intersection (Police station not too far as well as a major line for ambulances to the hospital). The train line is about a half mile from there so if you commute to the city via rail you'll need to consider commuter parking or someway to get to the train. But the HS is not too far from your designated areas, nor is the library, nor is the community pond/pool. There are a lot of commuter apartments right around that E Ridgewood/Maple intersection as well, so if you want more of a suburb feel within the town you'll want to pick the areas bit north of your circle. Lastly, be aware that the HoHoKus brook can and does flood. So just make sure you're aware of any flood issues if you're going to live by that nook.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:02 PM

13 posts, read 17,125 times
I recently moved from Jersey City to Edison. Area is good. Diverse community. Good shopping. Traffic is OK, not as bad as Queens/Manhattan/Jersey City. I would look at areas like Metuchen or Colonia in central NJ. They have nice housing in your price range and good schools. Neighborhood is safe and good parks. Commute isn't horrible either. Look at the North-East NJ Transit line on the map and look around the train stops, you'll see some good areas.

Old 08-05-2016, 04:25 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar786 View Post
I would look at areas like Metuchen or Colonia in central NJ. They have nice housing in your price range and good schools.
I'm sorry to have to introduce a dose of reality here.
Colonia is part of Woodbridge Township, and while the schools in that district are certainly not "bad", they definitely pale by comparison with the schools in Edison, Metuchen, South Brunswick, and several other towns in Central NJ.

For those who are not aware of it, Woodbridge Township suffered the disgrace of several elementary school Principals and several teachers who were proven to have engaged in both "coaching" students while they were taking NJ standardized tests, and also altering answer sheets prior to their submission to the NJ Department of Education.

If you are providing effective education to your students, you don't need to point to correct answers while students are being tested, and you don't need to alter answer sheets in order to inflate test scores. And, of course, before this corrupt behavior was discovered, there were many students who should have received remedial education, but did not receive those services because of their falsely-inflated test scores--all in the interest of making politically-connected appointees look good. It was essentially a Potemkin Village, created over a period of several years, to deceive the powers-that-be in the NJ Department of Education and also to deceive the taxpayers of Woodbridge Township.

In addition to the Principals and teachers who lost their jobs, an Assistant Superintendent of Schools also lost her job because of the incontrovertible evidence that she had engineered this scheme, system-wide.

The best schools in Woodbridge Township are those in the Iselin section, but even then, those schools are still inferior to those in Edison, South Brunswick, and several other Central NJ towns.

Because you are a relative new-comer to this area, I don't blame you for being unaware of the history of educational malfeasance in Woodbridge Township, but I simply cannot allow someone to post a recommendation based on a lack of knowledge of local conditions.

Last edited by Retriever; 08-05-2016 at 04:42 PM..

Old 08-06-2016, 08:47 AM

...and the person was asking about a specific section of RIDGEWOOD.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:20 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
...and the person was asking about a specific section of RIDGEWOOD.
...until Jaguar786 decided to divert the discussion to Central NJ, and even though it is unlikely that someone who is interested in buying a house in Ridgewood would also be interested in Edison, Metuchen, or Colonia, I felt that I had to introduce some factual information regarding Woodbridge Township's schools, so that people don't buy-into his uninformed opinion regarding the quality of those schools.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:06 AM

3 posts, read 2,457 times
Quote:
Talking about Ridgewood, are there any parts of town that require flood insurance?
Yes! Homes over by the Ho Ho Kus River. We once looked at a house on E Saddle River Rd and was told the house did flood a few times. Yeah it was a no for us.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 861 times
Try Franklin Twp. in somerset , good schools strong police force , medium price homes , good transportation to NY , Rated #2 In NJ ,

Old 08-10-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnwilly View Post
Try Franklin Twp. in somerset , good schools strong police force , medium price homes , good transportation to NY , Rated #2 In NJ ,
Oh good, another poster who randomly slaps some off-topic words into a thread without actually reading it! We can always use more of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey