Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2016, 10:43 PM

10 posts, read 27,488 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

So my job is temporarily going to require me to commute to manhattan for about 3 months or so from the Bridgwater/Somerville area. Can someone tell me about the best/efficient/cheapest options to actually do this. So far, I've been looking at getting a train from say Somerville on the Raritan line and then either switching at Newark [unless it's one of the one-seat rides straight into Penn Station] or then driving to Edison/New Brunswick and then taking the Northeast Corridor straight to Penn or also maybe driving to Newark and then using the PATH. Somebody had also recommended looking at buses either NJ Transit or private companies that have service into Manhattan. I was wondering if anyone could give me some more detail about all these different options or if somebody had actually done something similar ie commute from Bridgewater/Somerville/Branchburg/Hillsborough into NYC on a regular basis.

I'd appreciate any information in this regard.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 09:24 AM

248 posts, read 674,259 times
Depends on where in Manhattan

Downtown: Raritan Line to Newark and then PATH
Midtown: Raritan line to Newark and then any other line to NYPENN

Driving to Edison and taking NE Corridor will be cheaper but good luck driving down 287 in the morning.

If you want peace of mind, the Raritan line is your best and only bet. Cheaper options will only add time and stress to your commute - which aren't really worth it.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:31 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
Those and bus options. The Raritan line is comfy but the schedules are bad compared to NE Corridor trains. If you can get to one of the express trains on the NE Corridor that would be the fastest into Manhattan.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP1987 View Post
Depends on where in Manhattan

Downtown: Raritan Line to Newark and then PATH
Midtown: Raritan line to Newark and then any other line to NYPENN

Driving to Edison and taking NE Corridor will be cheaper but good luck driving down 287 in the morning.

If you want peace of mind, the Raritan line is your best and only bet. Cheaper options will only add time and stress to your commute - which aren't really worth it.
Thanks for the response! The Raritan line is definitely my best bet and my destination is not much of a walk from the WTC PATH station, so that is a good option. The only other question I have for you, is what if I were to try to drive to Newark Penn from where I'm located (this would probably be on 78-E or 287S/I-95 N ) during peak rush hour. In your experience is this actually doable on a daily basis and is the $11 that would be saved actually worth it or would traffic just be a real killer.

Thanks again!

Old 10-05-2016, 12:59 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dialsquare1886 View Post
Thanks for the response! The Raritan line is definitely my best bet and my destination is not much of a walk from the WTC PATH station, so that is a good option. The only other question I have for you, is what if I were to try to drive to Newark Penn from where I'm located (this would probably be on 78-E or 287S/I-95 N ) during peak rush hour. In your experience is this actually doable on a daily basis and is the $11 that would be saved actually worth it or would traffic just be a real killer.

Thanks again!
I don't see the saving there when parking rates are $8 - 25 to park and $2-3 toll into Newark and the traffic just from the exit into Newark consumes another 20-30mins anywhere from South + West. Your best bet is finding a station that has ample parking or free parking. On bad days, the commute getting into Newark is horrendous at best.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:09 PM

213 posts, read 216,516 times
For a commute during normal rush hours..killer.

For the RVL Train, I think you will need to get a parking permit. You would also need one if you drove to Newark. You should also be aware that you can buy monthly, weekly or 10 day passes to reduce your ticket cost. You can download an app for your smartphone at NJtransit.com and look for the MYtix option.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I don't see the saving there when parking rates are $8 - 25 to park and $2-3 toll into Newark and the traffic just from the exit into Newark consumes another 20-30mins anywhere from South + West. Your best bet is finding a station that has ample parking or free parking. On bad days, the commute getting into Newark is horrendous at best.
Aah gotcha, yup that definitely makes sense. Somerville makes the sense for me, at least for now, given the amount of parking along with reasonably convenient street parking as well and the daily parking isnt too bad either at $3.

Thanks for the tips.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:28 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,090,099 times
After Hoboken terminal crash, the best committing method to Manhattan is walking or biking...

Old 10-05-2016, 06:48 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,142,152 times
It's a good thing you only have to do this for 3 months. That commute is hell. I used to work in NYC and we got a new hire that was commuting by train from Hillsborough. She quit after a week because she couldn't deal with the 90 minute train ride every day.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:20 PM

29 posts, read 58,272 times
Drive to Harrison Station (PATH). Park there and take the PATH to WTC. If you leave before 7 you should be ok, some traffic, but guaranteed faster than train. Uncle of mine drove to Harrison from Basking Ridge for many years. He was in early (probably left around 6:30), but never complained too too much. Parking tends to be a bit better at Harrison too than Newark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey