Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 08:33 AM

10 posts, read 17,836 times

Advertisements

I was involved in a car accident and caused a personal injury to the other party.
I received a careless driving ticket.
The other party had personal injuries but not death/serious bodily injuries.

I was asked to appear in west windsor municipal court.

Will i be arrested for this ?

Does any one recommend a good traffic attorney in west windsor

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 08:48 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
You're not going to be arrested...unless the guy was filming you screaming death threats or staggering around totally blitzed. I don't know any lawyers in that area.

Have you had a nice chat with your insurance company?

Old 11-06-2016, 08:54 AM

Yes I talked with the insurance company and told them exactly what happened.

I am concerned as I read lot of places on internet that careless driving with personal injuries will get you arrested.

To be on safe, I am planning to hiring an attorney.

It was really a scary accident but thank god, no one was seriously injured

Why would they want me to appear in the court ?

The traffic ticket says court appearance required.

I asked Police Officer, the reason for the court appearance , he said it is because of personal injury

Last edited by vsdonald; 11-06-2016 at 09:09 AM..

Old 11-06-2016, 09:00 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,061,760 times
You'll only be arrested if you DON'T show up for court......they'll issue a bench warrant for your arrest for failing to show up so don't miss it.

Who issued you the ticket...a cop or the other person? If the cop you probably can't beat it but if the other driver issued it you may have a good chance......a good attorney may be able to help minimize the penalty though in either case......yeah, you'll wind up paying out a lot up front but it may work out if he can plead it to a "no points" violation. Otherwise, the points on your DL will increase your auto insurance so it may cost you less in the long run if you use an attorney.

The other problem is if the injured person is lawsuit happy, they can use the fact you pleaded or were found guilty of the careless driving charge against you.

SEE A LAWYER

Old 11-06-2016, 09:14 AM

I asked Police Officer, the reason for the court appearance , he said it is because of personal injury

The Insurance company will take care of personal injury claim right ?

Old 11-06-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsdonald View Post
Yes I talked with the insurance company and told them exactly what happened.

I am concerned as I read lot of places on internet that careless driving with personal injuries will get you arrested.

To be on safe, I am planning to hiring an attorney.

It was really a scary accident but thank god, no one was seriously injured

Yeah....anytime there is any kind of injury it is a mandatory court appearance. But an attorney can get it postponed which they always do (sometimes several postponements) to review/prepare the case......don't sweat it, a careless driving charge is one of the most common tickets issued....it's a minor MV charge and carries 2 points and a fine of around $200. As I said, there is sometimes a way to plead it down to a no points charge but then the fine is higher.....they get you one way or another (but the no points will help with insurance cost).

Old 11-06-2016, 09:28 AM

Oh...btw , I should've pointed out that when you first go to court it is a "first appearance"....at that time you either plead guilty or not guilty....if guilty then you meet with a court person who gets info and collects the fine, etc.

If not guilty they set a court date for trial/hearing which would be at some future time.....however, if you get a lawyer you won't even have to go on the date is says on your ticket because the lawyer will call the court personnel directly and advise he is handling your case and pleading not guilty......he'd be advised of the future court date when to appear with you and will hash out any postponements or changes....he may also talk to the prosecutor to work a plea agreement (lesser fine, no points, etc) if he can.

Old 11-06-2016, 09:31 AM

how much the traffic attornies usually charge ?

Old 11-06-2016, 09:53 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
Oh...btw , I should've pointed out that when you first go to court it is a "first appearance"....at that time you either plead guilty or not guilty....if guilty then you meet with a court person who gets info and collects the fine, etc.

If not guilty they set a court date for trial/hearing which would be at some future time.....however, if you get a lawyer you won't even have to go on the date is says on your ticket because the lawyer will call the court personnel directly and advise he is handling your case and pleading not guilty......he'd be advised of the future court date when to appear with you and will hash out any postponements or changes....he may also talk to the prosecutor to work a plea agreement (lesser fine, no points, etc) if he can.
Pay close attention to this post, it is very accurate. The critical piece is to go retain an attorney.

Only the attorney's will be able to discuss fees. Anyone on here would simply be guessing. However most attorneys will give a free consult, so you will certainly know more than you know now.

Be very respectful, Your Honor this, Your Honor that when addressing the judge, if you have to. Dress like you are going to a job interview.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by JanND; 11-06-2016 at 10:07 AM..

Old 11-06-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsdonald View Post
how much the traffic attornies usually charge ?

Is It Worthwhile To Hire A Lawyer To Fight Traffic Tickets?

BTW....don't confuse careless driving with "reckless" driving.....that's a much more serious charge with a hefty fine and 5 or 6 points (if extremely reckless, even jail time).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey