Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 04:34 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,967,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Wait, you think the teachers create the curriculum?
they do manage and implement it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 04:35 AM

while all the smug people have posted input nobody answered the question, what would the alternative be to these tests? Anyone?

Old 03-04-2008, 06:02 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,810,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
while all the smug people have posted input nobody answered the question, what would the alternative be to these tests? Anyone?
This would be difficult to answer since each district has a different (some slightly, others more so) curriculum. The people that make up the tests don't seem to know what the schools are teaching. I have some of the "practice" tests and some of the questions/material isn't covered in our school's curriculum. Another factor is that young children's test results aren't always an indication of what they've learned. This is why many people feel the tests are useless.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:21 AM

828 posts, read 3,138,651 times
Quote:
The alternative would be no testing at all.
If you have a child who goes to school from Sept-June wouldn't you want your child being taught from Sept-June?
Instead, because of the NJ ASK test, these kids are having their studies interrupted in Feb and March for "practice" test sessions and in March for one entire week for test.
Yesterday my son told me that the test might be put off until May. At first I was happy to hear this, now I am thinking that March and April will possibly be filled with more "practice" sessions.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:52 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,671,561 times
Quote:
they do manage and implement it
Thats decidedly not the same thing as creating the curriculum. Obviously this discussion with you is useless, so I'll end my part here.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:50 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
Yesterday my son told me that the test might be put off until May. At first I was happy to hear this, now I am thinking that March and April will possibly be filled with more "practice" sessions.
Your son is correct. 5th grade has already been moved to May. Next year the 3rd and 4th might be as well. The thinking is that the kids have 2 more months of school under the belts. Most teachers agree with this. For example part of what is in the 3rd grade curriculum and which is on the NJ ASK does not get taught until 3rd & 4th quarter. Obviously this doesn't make a lot of sense.

BTW, My district does not only test with NJ ASK. But they use a state test called MAP (I can't even tell you what the letters stand for). We also use 2 reading tests - Dibels and DRA and then to top it off we have Benchmark testing each marking period along with district and school mandatory writing. Test, Test, Test. Teachers regularly complain about not enough time to teach. I have to agree particularly because I'm a special ed teacher and my kids still have to take all of these tests. Some testing is ok. I'm not even sure if teachers would be as upset with the NJ ASK except that there is too much weight put onto one test. Some kids don't test well. Others don't speak the language. Special Ed kids may not be able to read. But they all take it and it matters equally.

NJ ASK does not measure the child it is meant to measure the schools. No one seems to use the results to help children improve in areas they are lacking...that is what testing should be for...tests are forms of assessment. We look at an assessment to tell us whether a child has achieved mastery or needs additional practice. That is not the purpose of NJ ASK. OK I'll stop now. Sorry to go off on a tangent.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:53 PM

828 posts, read 3,138,651 times
How many rep points can I give hrjersey?
Great post!

Old 03-04-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
This would be difficult to answer since each district has a different (some slightly, others more so) curriculum. The people that make up the tests don't seem to know what the schools are teaching. I have some of the "practice" tests and some of the questions/material isn't covered in our school's curriculum. Another factor is that young children's test results aren't always an indication of what they've learned. This is why many people feel the tests are useless.
well they've said what the curriculum should be and if your school is deviating that could be an issue, how other than testing can you measure progress?

Old 03-04-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Thats decidedly not the same thing as creating the curriculum. Obviously this discussion with you is useless, so I'll end my part here.
see ya............

Old 03-05-2008, 11:19 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,671,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
NJ ASK does not measure the child it is meant to measure the schools. No one seems to use the results to help children improve in areas they are lacking...that is what testing should be for...tests are forms of assessment. We look at an assessment to tell us whether a child has achieved mastery or needs additional practice. That is not the purpose of NJ ASK. OK I'll stop now. Sorry to go off on a tangent.
Not a tangent - right on target if you ask me. Great post, and exactly the problem - its about the schools, and not about the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey