Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2017, 11:17 PM

15 posts, read 21,426 times

Advertisements

my husband and i are thinking of buying in an adult community in monroe twsp.we really would like something new but this all we can afford.

does anyone live in any of the adult communities and can you tell me about the expenses,like utilities for a 2 bedroom,2 bathroom. just a ballpark figure.

we would be selling a 2 family house in Staten Island.we are in our 60's Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 09:37 AM

462 posts, read 549,870 times
My friends parents did this and they are happy, I know they find it much easier being on one floor and not have to care for lawns, roof, windows etc. I am sorry I don't have exact figures for you but you certainly are going to save money on utilities as you are downsizing. You will lose the rent you get for your tenant of course, but you already know that.

My suggestion is to talk to some of the current residents, ring a couple of doorbells and introduce yourselves. Most people would be happy to talk to you about it, many people probably recently went through the same change as you are contemplating. I live in SI and it seems like half my neighbors are retiring to NJ or PA retirement communities.

I will say this from my aunts experience (she lives down south though in a 55 and over community). If you aren't the social type, you probably won't like it. There are a lot of fees for amenities at most of these places, they are reasonable if you use the facilities (ie tennis, pool, clubhouse, classes), but just a waste of money if you don't.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:40 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbach View Post
My friends parents did this and they are happy, I know they find it much easier being on one floor and not have to care for lawns, roof, windows etc. I am sorry I don't have exact figures for you but you certainly are going to save money on utilities as you are downsizing. You will lose the rent you get for your tenant of course, but you already know that.

My suggestion is to talk to some of the current residents, ring a couple of doorbells and introduce yourselves. Most people would be happy to talk to you about it, many people probably recently went through the same change as you are contemplating. I live in SI and it seems like half my neighbors are retiring to NJ or PA retirement communities.

I will say this from my aunts experience (she lives down south though in a 55 and over community). If you aren't the social type, you probably won't like it. There are a lot of fees for amenities at most of these places, they are reasonable if you use the facilities (ie tennis, pool, clubhouse, classes), but just a waste of money if you don't.
I always wondered why people move to these communities. You can find plenty of one-floor living (ranch style) homes. And the lawn and repairs you hire to do the work instead of being stuck with high monthly fees. Or is there something else that is attractive about these communities I'm missing?

I personally think 55 years of age is still young.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:43 PM

11,342 posts, read 16,697,527 times
Just be aware that Monroe has a town ordinance against anyone living in a 55+ under age 48.

Which means your children for whatever reason cannot move in with you.

The reason why 48. Federal law says that 20% of age 55+ communities can purchase in 55+.

We looked in Monroe and the town ordinance was one of the reasons we decided not to buy there and
head to South Jersey.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:22 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,050,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
I always wondered why people move to these communities. You can find plenty of one-floor living (ranch style) homes. And the lawn and repairs you hire to do the work instead of being stuck with high monthly fees. Or is there something else that is attractive about these communities I'm missing?

Many of these communities offer built in social activities, club houses, restaurants, golf courses, fitness centres, pools, no need to leave the community.

A lot of them have so much going on that mundane home maintenance is worth the monthly fees.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:

Pretty much what Jerseyj said. Plus it is a PIA to hire people, much easier to just call the HOA. You do have to check out the fees, some places are more reasonable than others, but it really comes down to what you are interested in. The communities are generally 55 and over, which means 55 is the minimum age. My aunt for example is in her early 70's and most of the people in her community are around her age or a bit younger. Also a lot of older people are bothered by kids running around, you don't have that at these communities, the only kids are the grandkids visiting.

But they aren't for everyone, which is why I mentioned to the OP that they should consider their lifestyle before buying.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:47 AM

88,552 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roche714 View Post
my husband and i are thinking of buying in an adult community in monroe twsp.we really would like something new but this all we can afford.

does anyone live in any of the adult communities and can you tell me about the expenses,like utilities for a 2 bedroom,2 bathroom. just a ballpark figure.

we would be selling a 2 family house in Staten Island.we are in our 60's Thanks
My sister lives in Rossmoor. She's in her mid-60s, husband just turned 70. She's got a 2 BR, 2 BA. One bathroom also has a washer/dryer. However, she has electric heat, which gets quite expensive. Gas would be cheaper.

It's still affordable, though. They are OK, but not rich. Sold their sfh and bought the condo outright so they just pay taxes/maintenance. Nice size rooms, fireplace, lots of closets, an enclosed porch, covered carport area for their vehicle. There's a pool and a clubhouse and all sorts of activities. Golf course in the center, if you're into that. They don't do a lot of the activity stuff because my BIL uses a wheelchair, but they really love it there. It's also safe/gated.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:52 AM

88,552 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:

Ding ding ding. Although my older sister LOVES Rossmoor, as mentioned in my post above, I would not choose to live in a 55+. I like looking out and seeing the teenage boys on their skateboards, kids riding bikes, etc. I asked my sister if she hears ambulances, and she laughed and said, "All the time." She and her husband both had health-care careers, so it doesn't faze them.

I bought my place at 52, now I am 58. I found a two-bedroom, one-bath condo, one story, no one under me or over me, with an attic and a storage room and a fenced-in patio and garden area. When I first came to an open house here, I asked the RE agent if I was mistaken and this was a 55+, because most of the condos I saw were the two-story "townhouse" variety, which they also have in my complex.

I have no front steps, just a sidewalk leading to my covered front porch. I can get old and decrepit right here, and someone else cuts the lawn and shovels the snow.

I still pay maintenance fees, but about a quarter of that is for insurance for the exterior of the buildings (my own insurance, of course, is for "walls-in" for my unit), and the maintenance of the grounds, plus reserves for things like sidewalks and parking lots and tree maintenance. In a small sfh ranch, you would pay for those things separately.

But I'm not surrounded only by the elderly, and I don't hear ambulances coming in to cart away my neighbors every day and night.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ding ding ding. Although my older sister LOVES Rossmoor, as mentioned in my post above, I would not choose to live in a 55+. I like looking out and seeing the teenage boys on their skateboards, kids riding bikes, etc. I asked my sister if she hears ambulances, and she laughed and said, "All the time." She and her husband both had health-care careers, so it doesn't faze them.

I bought my place at 52, now I am 58. I found a two-bedroom, one-bath condo, one story, no one under me or over me, with an attic and a storage room and a fenced-in patio and garden area. When I first came to an open house here, I asked the RE agent if I was mistaken and this was a 55+, because most of the condos I saw were the two-story "townhouse" variety, which they also have in my complex.

I have no front steps, just a sidewalk leading to my covered front porch. I can get old and decrepit right here, and someone else cuts the lawn and shovels the snow.

I still pay maintenance fees, but about a quarter of that is for insurance for the exterior of the buildings (my own insurance, of course, is for "walls-in" for my unit), and the maintenance of the grounds, plus reserves for things like sidewalks and parking lots and tree maintenance. In a small sfh ranch, you would pay for those things separately.

But I'm not surrounded only by the elderly, and I don't hear ambulances coming in to cart away my neighbors every day and night.

Good point, you can also get a lot of the same things in some regular condos, I personally think a lot of the attraction of the 55+ communities is some of the people who live there prefer not to have kids around. As the father of two young boys who I love with all my heart, I can tell you that sometimes I wish I could move away from them for a day or two at least!

Old 01-04-2017, 10:12 AM

15 posts, read 21,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

mightyqueen,
where do you live that you have a one story condo.i would like that but i only see that in the adult communities.

also we would like to stay in staten island but the nranch houses I have seen are more expensive then my 2 family house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: