Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 03:22 PM

148 posts, read 220,469 times

Advertisements

Companies have to adjust and innovate to stay in business. Brick and mortar stores are on their way out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 03:44 PM

32,938 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Huh. The only one that really bothers me is CVS. Always running in there for something. Many of them seem to be those trendy, overpriced clothing stores that come and go anyway.

Although, I was surprised to see The Limited still even existed. I shopped there 40 years ago. They were unusual at the time in that they had dress slacks long enough for tall women.

I am wondering how long JC Penney will exist. My friend who has,worked there 35 years just got cut to part-time. They might be trying to get her to retire, though.
I was surprised to see that most of those places are still open. American Eagle Outfitters? Never shopped there. I haven't seen a Kmart in years. Macy's has been closing stores all over the country.

Macy's Closing 68 Stores Across The Country: Full List - Across America, US Patch

Old 01-09-2017, 03:49 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,639,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey25 View Post
Companies have to adjust and innovate to stay in business. Brick and mortar stores are on their way out.

While this is true, I'm pretty surprised at the extent to which this is true. I don't buy any clothes online other than maybe shoes, hats, or a watch. I don't want to deal with the hassle of returning it if I don't like how it fits. And this is coming from a person who hates malls and standing in lines to pay. Also, while I do buy electronics online, I can't see myself buying a home theater system online. I need to hear it. But obviously people do it.

You're right though. I'm looking at a possible career change for this very reason. Retail traffic is not what it used to be, so we all need to adapt.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:51 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Huh. The only one that really bothers me is CVS. Always running in there for something.
Unfortunately, I am tied to CVS through my Rx plan, but I am really careful about not buying things there...other than an emergent Rx or perhaps some first-aid supplies. Their prices on things like detergents and other non-emergent items are so much higher than the prices charged by the Shop-Rite directly across the street, that I have to wonder about what people are actually buying there.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:31 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Am I missing something here? What's unfair about not paying employees for time not worked?
Apparently somerging about what they did is illegal.

Amazon has a reputation as being a terrible employer in general. In both the warehouse and office positions

Old 01-09-2017, 04:38 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,175,096 times
NJ sucks. With high tax, more regulations, I would expect more and more business closing or moving out of the state.

NJ is #1 in the worst state to do business according to the Tax Foundation.

NJ is #1 in property tax

NJ is # in net export of retirees AKA spenders.

Obviously, a lot of store on the list closed not because NJ. But NJ is anti-business.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:47 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,189,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I seem to remember another suit that Amazon actually won that required employees to go through long security lines (to make sure they didn't take anything from the warehouse) AFTER they clocked out.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:13 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Unfortunately, I am tied to CVS through my Rx plan, but I am really careful about not buying things there...other than an emergent Rx or perhaps some first-aid supplies. Their prices on things like detergents and other non-emergent items are so much higher than the prices charged by the Shop-Rite directly across the street, that I have to wonder about what people are actually buying there.
I find things on sale at times that I want, such as their Gold Emblem mixed nuts, and I work the heck out of their "CVS Bucks", particularly with beauty and hygiene items. This may come as a terrible shock, but I color my hair, which is very thick, and so I go through a lot of pricy color-care shampoo and conditioner. Working those sales helps.

There are thing like OTC painkillers and allergy medicine that I will never buy without a sale and a coupon. They go on sale and coupons are issued often enough that it doesn't make sense not to. If CVS has the best deal, I go there--plus it's maybe a 3-minute drive from my house.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:03 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
I find things on sale at times that I want, such as their Gold Emblem mixed nuts, and I work the heck out of their "CVS Bucks", particularly with beauty and hygiene items. This may come as a terrible shock, but I color my hair, which is very thick, and so I go through a lot of pricy color-care shampoo and conditioner. Working those sales helps.

There are thing like OTC painkillers and allergy medicine that I will never buy without a sale and a coupon. They go on sale and coupons are issued often enough that it doesn't make sense not to. If CVS has the best deal, I go there--plus it's maybe a 3-minute drive from my house.
Well, I wouldn't have guessed that you color your hair. Whatever you are using does look very natural--at least to my untrained eye. And, as you can tell, I don't color my hair...

I buy my mixed nuts at Costco, and I doubt that you would find a better price anywhere for ultra high-quality unsalted mixed nuts. The next time that you are in Costco, take a gander at their nuts , and see if you agree with me. I also buy my OTC painkillers and allergy medication from Costco.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:25 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Well, I wouldn't have guessed that you color your hair. Whatever you are using does look very natural--at least to my untrained eye. And, as you can tell, I don't color my hair...

I buy my mixed nuts at Costco, and I doubt that you would find a better price anywhere for ultra high-quality unsalted mixed nuts. The next time that you are in Costco, take a gander at their nuts , and see if you agree with me. I also buy my OTC painkillers and allergy medication from Costco.

Well, I have not ever been to a Costco, but now I think there just might be something to see...

Oh yes, and my hair might be a shade or two lighter now than you recall. Not quite as light as yours yet, though.

My friend's daughter got her cosmetology license and is proving to be quite good at helping those of us whose hair is "transitioning".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey