Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 12:23 PM

9 posts, read 6,895 times

Advertisements

west orange/south orange....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 12:50 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,955,534 times
My vote is get out of North Jersey and deal with a slightly longer commute. My wife and I did it and it was the greatest thing we ever did. You get SOOOOO much more for your money for just an extra few minutes in the car ever day.

Old bridge, anything south of bridgewater, south amboy has really nice townhouses in that range right on the raritan bay.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:09 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfasano1991 View Post
Do not do west orange. High taxes and horrible schools.
Simply not true. The school my kids attend is rated a 9 on Great Schools.

West Orange was ranked #68 in this recent survey. That's pretty darn good considering there are over 300 school districts in NJ.

http://patch.com/new-jersey/westoran...onal-best-list

Last edited by ansky; 01-18-2017 at 01:52 PM..

Old 01-18-2017, 10:48 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Simply not true. The school my kids attend is rated a 9 on Great Schools.

West Orange was ranked #68 in this recent survey. That's pretty darn good considering there are over 300 school districts in NJ.

West Orange Schools Make Statewide 'Best Of' List - West Orange, NJ Patch

The main problem with West Orange is not the schools. It is the confiscatory property taxes where owners of Bi-Levels have to pay $16,000 to the township each and every year. Utter madness.

I covered some details and observations about this here:
Many Realtors in North Jersey Seem Misinformed about West Orange....

Old 01-19-2017, 05:54 PM

728 posts, read 1,965,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
The main problem with West Orange is not the schools. It is the confiscatory property taxes where owners of Bi-Levels have to pay $16,000 to the township each and every year. Utter madness.

I covered some details and observations about this here:
Many Realtors in North Jersey Seem Misinformed about West Orange....
Property taxes in NJ especially in Essex County and parts of Passaic County are horrible. Most of the towns that surround West Orange have just as high property taxes. I'm not defending the taxes it's a complete ripoff in the whole state and that's a whole different discussion lol.

Regarding the elementary schools 3 out of 7 are a 9, one is. 7 and the other three I think are a 6 on great schools.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:57 PM

29 posts, read 58,341 times
Springfield is great and matches what you need. Good schools and vastly underrated all around.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:26 AM

141 posts, read 243,941 times
I agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CranfordGuy243 View Post
Springfield is great and matches what you need. Good schools and vastly underrated all around.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:33 AM

7 posts, read 13,970 times
There might be a few options in Roseland within your price range and it very convenient for your commute. The taxes will be below 9k and the school system is great.

We lived in Roseland for 10 years and loved it.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:49 AM

229 posts, read 251,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName723 View Post
There might be a few options in Roseland within your price range and it very convenient for your commute. The taxes will be below 9k and the school system is great.

We lived in Roseland for 10 years and loved it.
I had to look up where Roseland is because I never heard of it. Turns out it's a tiny borough with only 6000 people. Taxes are cheap because it wisely shares a regional school district with Essex Fells, Fairfield, and North Caldwell. All of which consequently have relatively low taxes. Smart.

But I'm not seeing a convenient commute without a train station. There's also no direct bus service to NYC, only to Newark. My definition of convenient commuting is not needing a car whatsoever as part of my commute.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:55 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig-D View Post
I had to look up where Roseland is because I never heard of it. Turns out it's a tiny borough with only 6000 people. Taxes are cheap because it wisely shares a regional school district with Essex Fells, Fairfield, and North Caldwell. All of which consequently have relatively low taxes. Smart.

But I'm not seeing a convenient commute without a train station. There's also no direct bus service to NYC, only to Newark. My definition of convenient commuting is not needing a car whatsoever as part of my commute.
I believe there is a DeCamp bus that has stops along Eagle Rock Ave. in Roseland (I work in Roseland and have seen these buses stopping). But unless you happen to live right along this street, this would not be considered a "convenient" commute. Also because the town is so small, inventory is going to be quite low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey