Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 05:15 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times

Advertisements

Rahway is okay. Probably a better place to live if you don't have kids. Easy city access via the train, close to some other nice towns nearby for their downtowns and restaurants as well. Only about a 40 minute drive (no traffic) from the nearest beach. Rahway's downtown seems to me to be pretty nice actually, and some of the apartment complexes seem nice as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 08:19 PM

7 posts, read 14,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Rahway is okay. Probably a better place to live if you don't have kids. Easy city access via the train, close to some other nice towns nearby for their downtowns and restaurants as well. Only about a 40 minute drive (no traffic) from the nearest beach. Rahway's downtown seems to me to be pretty nice actually, and some of the apartment complexes seem nice as well.

Thanks! Which beach are you referring to?

Old 02-09-2017, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHealer89 View Post
Thanks! Which beach are you referring to?
Long Branch, Asbury. That area generally.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:04 AM

7 posts, read 14,144 times
Quote:
Thanks. That beach sounds nice! I just looked it up and seen some reviews. Any areas I should steer clear of in NJ?

Old 02-09-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHealer89 View Post
Thanks. That beach sounds nice! I just looked it up and seen some reviews. Any areas I should steer clear of in NJ?
You're welcome. Asbury Park and Long Branch have nice beaches and boardwalk areas. But inland a bit, especially Asbury, they can get dicey. Asbury is pretty dangerous in parts. But when you're at the beach, boardwalk, and downtown (it has a nice downtown with good restaurants), you're fine. I love Asbury's Boardwalk and Long Branch has Pier Village which is nice. A nice Long Branch beach that's a little more secluded and away from all the Pier Village crowds is Seven Presidents Beach, which is part of a county park. If you want to go a little further but have a totally preserved beach area, go to Island Beach State Park in southern Ocean County. There are even specific areas of the beach where you can drive your SUV, as long as you have required supplies like a shovel and stuff like that.

Other than the cities which are pretty bad in parts, there's really nowhere to steer clear of. There are definitely areas that are nicer and I would say better and/or more attractive than others but as far as "steering clear" that would basically be Camden, basically in whole, and parts of cities like Elizabeth, Newark, Jersey City, Paterson, and Atlantic City. But there's few good, real reasons to go hang out in the bad areas of those cities anyway. Even Camden has nicer and safer areas that draw people, like the aquarium.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:44 AM

19,132 posts, read 25,341,241 times
Quote:

The pristine beaches at Sandy Hook are actually much closer than those in Long Branch and Asbury Park. However, the "amenities" that one might want are lacking at Sandy Hook because of its park status.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
The pristine beaches at Sandy Hook are actually much closer than those in Long Branch and Asbury Park. However, the "amenities" that one might want are lacking at Sandy Hook because of its park status.
Closer in distance as the crow flies yes but time getting there, not much if at all.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:08 AM

19,132 posts, read 25,341,241 times
Quote:
Closer in distance as the crow flies yes but time getting there, not much if at all.

Because getting to Sandy Hook involves 12-15 miles less driving on the GSP, as compared to those other two towns, I believe that the travel time would be less. Additionally, it is much easier to find a parking space at Sandy Hook.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Because getting to Sandy Hook involves 12-15 miles less driving on the GSP, as compared to those other two towns, I believe that the travel time would be less. Additionally, it is much easier to find a parking space at Sandy Hook.
There have been times I've been torn between going to Sandy Hook (because it seems closer) and Long Branch/Asbury and have chosen Long Branch because it's a quicker drive according to google maps. The GSP isn't the problem, the lights on 36 are what makes the drive to Sandy Hook longer than it should be. The Parkway is smooth sailing and you spend less time and distance on the local highways and roads when you go to Long Branch or Asbury. You're on 36 for a while on the way to Sandy Hook.

I don't go to Sandy Hook often, mostly because I don't think the ocean is as clean since it's basically NY Harbor but the one time I've gone in more recent years my friend and I realized we could have made it to Long Branch in the same amount of time and been on a nicer beach. Mileage wise, from my house, the two are roughly the same distance anyway.

Seven Presidents has a lot of parking, at least on weekdays which is when I usually go to the beach. I don't usually go to the beach in Long Branch right in front of Pier Village because of how crowded it gets. For the past few summers, Asbury has been my go to anyway. As of now IMO Asbury's beach and boardwalk are still very underrated.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:34 AM

343 posts, read 229,869 times
I live in Rahway close to the center of Town. We rented in Rahway for a few years before buying a home here. If you are living that close to the river you will be fighting mosquitos when you go outside. This year will be a bad year for them since it's been a warm winter.

Rahway is very quiet at night. There is a little bit of "nightlife" in the restaurants but it's not like NYC by far. You can feel safe walking around at night, you might run into a jogger, a kid on a skateboard or someone walking a dog. Rahway is fairly dog friendly so you will see the puppy parade if you are out in the morning. People are generally nice. There are a lot of people living here who grew up here. Neighbors are helpful and holiday decorations don't go mysteriously missing.

There are some fun events the city runs like free concerts (the last one we saw was Natalie Merchant and the Smithereens), culture crawls and a zombie pub crawl thing in October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey