Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 10:02 PM

7 posts, read 14,137 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, new to the site. We will be moving to Rahway, NJ at the end of this month from NY, we still will be working in NY, doing the commute on NJ Transit. We need more space and bit of peace and quiet. I noticed there is a thread on here but it was a bit outdated, (2008, I think). Any tips, suggestions, etc? I'm not from NY (I just moved here for a job) so I would like to know what to expect in Rahway. Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 03:25 AM

862 posts, read 974,956 times
it has a nice prison, where the worst of the worst in new jersey reside.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:22 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,977,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef1 View Post
While that prison was once named Rahway, it is actually located within Woodbridge township, yet Woodbridge escapes the stigma somehow.

Good train access, downtown is reviving and overall on the upswing. Still a bit rough around the edges. I am guessing the schools may not be great, but you may not need those yet.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:22 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,580,637 times
Not really, that old place is in the next town over across the highway. Rahway itself is quite nice. Many tree lined residential streets, arts, theatre, restaurants, night spots. Many people unfamiliar think of the old prison place in the next town over but that has nothing to do with living in the town. Also direct rail service and new townhouses and other residences going up often.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:40 AM

19,119 posts, read 25,313,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef1 View Post
As has been said, that prison is located in Avenel, which is part of Woodbridge Township.
And, "the worst of the worst" are actually housed at New Jersey State Prison, which is located in Trenton.
Yes, East Jersey State Prison (the actual name of the place that you think is located in Rahway) does house some "bad hombres", but "the worst of the worst" are sent to Trenton.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:04 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,580,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
As has been said, that prison is located in Avenel, which is part of Woodbridge Township.
but "the worst of the worst" are sent to Trenton.

Most of them drive over to that Capital building by the river, some of them to the statehouse

Old 02-08-2017, 09:43 AM

19,119 posts, read 25,313,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Most of them drive over to that Capital building by the river, some of them to the statehouse
Hey!
He resembles that remark...

Old 02-08-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
While that prison was once named Rahway, it is actually located within Woodbridge township, yet Woodbridge escapes the stigma somehow.

Good train access, downtown is reviving and overall on the upswing. Still a bit rough around the edges. I am guessing the schools may not be great, but you may not need those yet.

Thanks. I don't have any children so I won't be needing any school systems. We chose an Apartment Complex named "River Place at Rahway" Have you heard anything about the neighborhood surrounding that area that I should know about?

Old 02-08-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Not really, that old place is in the next town over across the highway. Rahway itself is quite nice. Many tree lined residential streets, arts, theatre, restaurants, night spots. Many people unfamiliar think of the old prison place in the next town over but that has nothing to do with living in the town. Also direct rail service and new townhouses and other residences going up often.

Good to know. We walked around a bit to get a feel and it did seem to be a bit dead so we were kinda worried about it being boring so hearing you say that there are things to do is refreshing.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:51 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,688,561 times
It won't be long before the entire North East Corridor Train line will be taken over by Indian communities. I've seen Indians moving into every town along the NJ Transit line stations and Rahway is one of them. Places that a lot of white folks are leaving are good enough for Indians and Muslims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey