Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 01:55 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,826,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
...and then there are those of us who "bought" prior to 2000, but who also know how to invest their funds properly. I bought my current house in 1996, have enabled myself to have a very lucrative stream of income, and have no need to leave this state.

Please note that I do feel sorry for the folks who are forced to leave NJ because they simply didn't know how to properly invest their funds.
You are the lucky ones indeed, I think a lot of people who are still here are in your boat, that was the point of my earlier post, the appreciation of housing is not the same as stocks, because the portion of your mortgage also appreciated which makes it double un-affordable, also known as leveraged appreciation, then there's the property taxes based on property value.

It's hard especially for millennials without parents help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 06:18 PM

20,323 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever
...and then there are those of us who "bought" prior to 2000, but who also know how to invest their funds properly. I bought my current house in 1996, have enabled myself to have a very lucrative stream of income, and have no need to leave this state.

Please note that I do feel sorry for the folks who are forced to leave NJ because they simply didn't know how to properly invest their funds.
Yes, we can tell. Duly noted.

How on earth did you manage to convince yourself that those who left and those are who planning to leave is due to poor investment decisions?

As I've posted before, money is leaving NJ and NJ is a state that needs more money.

A lot more money.

Old 12-09-2017, 01:09 AM

11 posts, read 29,765 times
If the new tax plan is passed, its going to hurt NJ even more!

Old 12-09-2017, 10:04 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenaga View Post
If the new tax plan is passed, its going to hurt NJ even more!
If it'll dampen some of the enthusiasm for state and local tax increases ("Hey, it's deductible"), not so much.

But it probably won't. Politicians love to spend other people's money.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:51 PM

20,323 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
........ Politicians love to spend other people's money.
And we in NJ have the best in the business, lol.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:22 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
NJ has the highest net out migration of any state in the Northeast. In large part due to property taxes. I have a good friend who was paying $30,000 a year in property taxes in S. NJ in a quaint town Haddonfield, NJ close to transit to access Philadelphia.

It took them over 1 year to sell their home, after several price cuts. And the market is very strong in Philadelphia and Southeast PA, but S. NJ the market has been quite stagnant. They moved into Southeast Pennsylvania and into Philadelphia which has a 10 year tax abatement on 'major improvements'. They will save $300,000 in 10 years alone. Not to mention the quality of life is very high where they moved.

My point is; NJ has a property tax catastrophe. I have another friend who lives in S. NJ and their home value is modest at around 375k. And their property taxes are 13k a year! Which to me is just insane. And they are looking to get out as soon as they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey