Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 05:29 PM

11 posts, read 29,790 times

Advertisements

I've been looking for a house for almost 6 months now in Central/North Jersey. Most places I look, the property taxes are ridiculous. Unless I move to South Jersey or to the west closer to PA, I can't afford the average $8,000 a year in taxes. The average median income in NJ is $80,000 which is in my income range but a mortgage on top of the property taxes will mean half of my net income will be towards housing.

Any advice? Or just continue renting? I've lived here almost all my life and love NJ but I feel like it has been getting more expensive over the past few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 06:52 PM

650 posts, read 776,534 times
Get a multi family. Ask tenants to pay for you !

Old 03-19-2017, 08:38 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,229,843 times
There's a few towns with less-unreasonable property taxes. If you don't need primo schools, a NYC commute, or a walkable downtown, you might be able to find something.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:51 PM

401 posts, read 427,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenaga View Post
I've been looking for a house for almost 6 months now in Central/North Jersey. Most places I look, the property taxes are ridiculous. Unless I move to South Jersey or to the west closer to PA, I can't afford the average $8,000 a year in taxes. The average median income in NJ is $80,000 which is in my income range but a mortgage on top of the property taxes will mean half of my net income will be towards housing.

Any advice? Or just continue renting? I've lived here almost all my life and love NJ but I feel like it has been getting more expensive over the past few years.
Western Jersey such as Warren, Hunterdon, etc also have high taxes because they have no industry to lower the homeowner taxes. Lived in Warren County for 28 years, moved to PA for lower taxes after retirement. Taxes do not go down, so figure in several years that $8k can be $9-10k, keep that in mind when you are calculating what you can afford.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:50 PM

32 posts, read 60,285 times
A lot of towns in central Jersey are just allergic to letting folks build anything other than McMansions, so it's harder to find a multifamily much less build one. Property tax rates are abysmally high in a lot of places, but affording property tax is a lot harder when the only stuff you can get in a town are mcmansions on 1 acre lots. It's bad enough that land values are so high in towns in north and central Jersey. But the fact that the only stuff you can find in some of these places is just single family homes means that the assessed value of that house is going to be high no matter what.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:26 AM

229 posts, read 251,410 times
If you think $8k taxes is bad I won't even tell you what mine are. Suffice it to say I live in ew construction in Bergen County, so mine are far more than the average. NJ has the highest property taxes in the country. If you want to live here, there's no escaping that reality. But some places are better than others. For northern NJ I would recommend choosing a place in Hudson County. The taxes are relatively low in its towns and cities. For the most part you get poor schools in return for that tax discount, but there are some exceptions like Weehawken. Hoboken and Jersey City for example have shockingly low taxes given the value of real estate there. But both have poor schools and in most cases many people won't be able to afford the actual dwelling no matter how cheap the taxes are.

So there's a give and take there. If you want relatively low taxes, affordable housing, and good schools in NJ, then you may well be looking for the proverbial unicorn. Don't need good schools? Then places like Kearney, Bayonne, Harrison, Union City, and a few other Hudson County towns are worth a look for lower taxes and more affordable housing.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:22 AM

4,160 posts, read 4,180,204 times
I wish my tax is 8k.

I would advise you not to buy until after the next governor take office. While under Christie 2.5% cap, my tax has increased over 30% in 7 years. Just imagine when the cap is removed and rate go to 6 to 8% a year.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:11 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,500,648 times
You just have to see it as part of your mortgage and buy something where the payment is low enough. I don't know where you are going to go lower than 7k for a single family. Another option would be to relocate to the Philly suburbs if you can get a job there

Old 03-20-2017, 07:25 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,872,625 times
Buy a smaller house. We certainly pay less than seven grand for our 3br in Cranford

Old 03-20-2017, 07:37 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,871,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenaga View Post

My NJ coworkers - one or both spouses working in Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey