Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 01:00 PM

9 posts, read 41,143 times

Advertisements

So I'm going to be blunt here: I live in Cranford, really nice town, and I am recently divorced and my ex-wife is thinking of living (with my daughter) in Linden. Now, I'm sure there is a "nice" part and all, but everything I've ever seen and heard myself or secondhand about Linden makes me believe it is mostly a hellhole ghetto, and that at some point, my daughter would be going to school with the kids from the crappy, criminal parts of town. Now, if I'm wrong about this I'd like to hear why, but I'm not looking for "it's a multicultural tapestry!" as a reason, I'm more looking for "My tiny white daughter isn't going to be in danger every day of her life in this place." I know some people are going to be offended by this, but I think any parents reading this can appreciate that I'm more concerned with my daughter's safety than people's tender sensibilities. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 02:07 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
The Sunnyside section of Linden is actually pretty decent, with nicely kept-up single family homes. In fact, if you drove from neighboring Clark into Linden, you would be hard-pressed to figure out where Clark ended and Linden began. The rest of the town ranges from just...okay...to somewhat sketchy.

As to the schools, they are not rated well.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:12 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Stay away from Linden.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:17 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
If the gangbangers don't kill you, the property taxes will.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:25 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
If the gangbangers don't kill you, the property taxes will.

Are you sure about that?
For as long as I can remember, Linden had lower property taxes than adjoining towns, as a result of its industrial tax base. Has that actually changed?

Old 03-26-2017, 04:58 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,397,471 times
Your kid will not be safe in Linden schools. Not a good place for anyone to be, and certainly not by choice.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:08 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
I also live in Cranford (lifelong, not a newcomer) and did not know Linden is as bad as people are making it seem. I know the schools aren't that great, and I know that most parts of town are way less desirable than Cranford, but I didn't know that safety is an issue at the schools (or really that much at all in general). One of our favorite restaurants/bars is in downtown Linden. Whenever we take the train to the city, we leave from Linden. Leave our cars there, frequently come back very late, never face a problem. I drove through Linden every day on my commute to Staten Island that lasted three years, including the more industrial, definitely less desirable areas. It's not a particularly nice town by many local standards (like Cranford standards) but I was unaware it's so unsafe as some are making it seem.

Would I send my kids to school there/live there with a family? Not unless I HAD to (just because there are so many nicer and better areas). But did I ever think or know that it is that dangerous? Not at all. News to me if everyone is right, and honestly surprising news.

Your ex-wife would probably be better off choosing a place like Roselle Park if she's looking into areas cheaper and "lesser" if you will than Cranford. What's drawing her to Linden in particular? RP is okay but IMO it's probably better than Linden. I get that financially, some people with kids have no choice to live in a place like Linden, when there are better schools in other towns and other towns are overall just better environments. But it's not like Linden is Elizabeth. I mean, really, it's not THAT bad. I've always thought that parts of Linden would be great for young single city commuters.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:32 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Must be a bad ghetto place to have a Starbucks and a Target right in the middle just like other well to do towns. I don't think the town is as bad as some made it out to be, I often go there for movies and see no problems. Overreacting? Yes because this isn't Newark or even Jersey City where 5 people were shot this weekend.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:28 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereitsat42 View Post
So I'm going to be blunt here: I live in Cranford, really nice town, and I am recently divorced and my ex-wife is thinking of living (with my daughter) in Linden. Now, I'm sure there is a "nice" part and all, but everything I've ever seen and heard myself or secondhand about Linden makes me believe it is mostly a hellhole ghetto, and that at some point, my daughter would be going to school with the kids from the crappy, criminal parts of town. Now, if I'm wrong about this I'd like to hear why, but I'm not looking for "it's a multicultural tapestry!" as a reason, I'm more looking for "My tiny white daughter isn't going to be in danger every day of her life in this place." I know some people are going to be offended by this, but I think any parents reading this can appreciate that I'm more concerned with my daughter's safety than people's tender sensibilities. Thoughts?
Reason 741 not to divorce when you have kids: The ex-spouse gets the kids half the time and might live somewhere you don't like. Reason 955? The ex-wife will eventually have your kid(s) at the dinner table with her new stud. Either one would drive me crazy.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:48 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,277 times
You should just driver over there, walk around and make your own mind up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey