Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2017, 05:50 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,462,139 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I'm going to be moving in 3-4 months, about 35 miles west of where I currently live (Bergen County to Morris County). I have always moved myself... but in my old(er) age, I know I can no longer do it myself and have to hire a mover. I have NO idea what a mover would cost me, and was hoping some of y'all could give me some rough ideas.

I have a large apartment... two bedrooms and a big basement, about 1800 sq. ft. total. And I'm a bit of a pack rat, who's not a great packer/cleaner. I'm been getting rid of stuff over the past few months, but, I have a lot of "stuff". I'm going to handle a lot of the small things, but I can't lug big furniture anymore. Major furniture to be moved would be two queen bedroom sets with mattresses, a large couch and loveseat, two big screen flat panel HDTVs, and some bookcases.

I've also read that many movers will now pack your things for you. Has anyone tried this? Is sounds great for someone like me, but is the cost astronomical? And do they just throw anything and everything they see into boxes? How long would it take to pack an apartment like mine? Finally, if you packed your place yourself and don't mind answering, could you tell me how long it took you, how big your place was, and whether you did it alone or had help?

Does anyone have any idea what this move might cost? I've seen everything from $2,000 to $10,000. Also, if you have any mover recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it. I know most people hate moving, but I think I may hate it more and have a tougher time with it than the average Joe. I want to make sure I don't start panicking a week before the move.

Thanks for any help or advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 11:16 AM

235 posts, read 263,293 times
Cost is usually per pound of weight. Packing and unpacking for you are services many movers provide for an extra charge.

My guess would be around $3-5K. $10K sounds steep.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:31 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,152,796 times
Wade O'dell Wade (United Van Lines) out of Midland Park, NJ charged us $6,400 all in when we moved from Wyckoff to NE Florida. This includes packing, loading, unloading etc.. We had a 4 BR 2,000 sqft house with a weight estimate of 7,000 lbs. We had other quotes going up to 10,000 lbs at a cost of $8k.

My wife and I also used Paramus Movers 5 years ago to move from Mahwah (2BR town house) to Wyckoff but you have to play the game with them. The guy walked around the house and came back to us initially with a quote of $1,500. I fired back to tell them that they moved us 2 yrs prior for $700 so what gives? They looked around again and ended up charging us $850 (plus tip of $40/man).

Old 05-22-2017, 01:39 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times
Try Mahwah Movers. Have them come out and give you an estimate and walk you through the process. They were soooo helpful on our last move. The woman who came out really helped me think through what I needed and what I didn't. Good luck.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:14 PM

324 posts, read 575,441 times
Get a few companies to come out and give you estimates. It's quick and free. It's going to be hard for people on this forum to give you an estimate of cost or time it would take you to pack up your stuff. Even the low end of your range sounds high if you pack everything yourself. Paying for them to pack adds a lot to the price and might make unpacking more difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey