Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 10:52 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i dont know. right now my oldest is finishing 1st grade so its early. i have my own plans for my childrens' future and academic performance isnt that critical. but i still want to be in the right town with the right peers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 11:25 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
The core of Sayreville, what is now known as "Lower Sayreville" (Tangletown etc) near the bridge into South River, was always blue collar. The Parlin section along Rt 9 and Ernston Rd has quite a bit of upper middle class development that sprung up during the 1960s-70s, which was where we lived. Schools were much better back in the day than they are now. And pretty much any other suburban town in Middlesex County is considered a step forward from Sayreville these days.
I don't disagree.

I always compare MY public school system (grew up in the town, moved away, moved back) and it's always been terrible. Teacher got shot in the parking lot of the HS back in the early 80's & only one small part of the 47 square mile town was "stay away from". Hasn't gotten much larger over the decades (the "not so good part", but denser, and more trouble. Without the shootings of teachers.

Quote:
So I guess that means you can't go by any sort of ratings. Districts tweak their numbers and average out bottom scores and get away with it. This will blow a lot of people's heads off. It doesn't matter to me since I do not live in NJ anymore and will not be returning.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:16 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times
We've always used Catholic schools. We've been happy with them. NJ is really fortunate to have so many, other states aren't like that. We like feeling free and not so chained to the choice of town. Obviously they're not for everyone

Old 06-11-2017, 01:29 PM

968 posts, read 1,142,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
I don't disagree.

I always compare MY public school system (grew up in the town, moved away, moved back) and it's always been terrible. Teacher got shot in the parking lot of the HS back in the early 80's & only one small part of the 47 square mile town was "stay away from". Hasn't gotten much larger over the decades (the "not so good part", but denser, and more trouble. Without the shootings of teachers.
Franklin/Somerset by any chance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey