Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 03:13 PM

106 posts, read 129,700 times

Advertisements

I have driven in Dallas, Washington D.C., Baltimore, Tulsa, OKC, Indy, Cincinnati, and San Antonio, and never ever have I encountered such confusing signage as I do in NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 07:51 PM

173 posts, read 170,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janedoe1972 View Post
I have driven in Dallas, Washington D.C., Baltimore, Tulsa, OKC, Indy, Cincinnati, and San Antonio, and never ever have I encountered such confusing signage as I do in NJ.
Can you give us an example?

Old 08-13-2017, 05:16 AM

106 posts, read 129,700 times
Took me three hrs to find my way back to Edison from Liberty State Park. Real scary stuff. Had to go through some very scary looking towns. My GPS did not work.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:53 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,594,813 times
Quote:
Took me three hrs to find my way back to Edison from Liberty State Park. Real scary stuff. Had to go through some very scary looking towns. My GPS did not work.
That's mostly because the rest of us know the way without signs??? From way before anybody had GPS or cell phones. And without using any toll roads too ��

Old 08-13-2017, 07:25 AM

What I mean is if a driver has no GPS or whats more common these days any one of the free web based mapping programs on your cellphone, you normally would not rely on directional signs alone.

In the days before electronic portable road maps you would have just a generic gas station on NJ State road map, take a glance, okay this road, that road then that road,,,get an idea where you're off to. Most of us never relied on posted signs alone. There have never been enough of those and can't see that happening.

Most of the time even though I know several ways to get from A to Z, I glance at evil racist Goo Maps simply to check for traffic conditions, accidents, road construction, etc.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:28 AM

Oh and Jersey City...lol... thats never made sense ever and not just the signs

Old 08-13-2017, 07:53 AM

19,137 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
The entrance to the Hudson County Extension of the NJ Turnpike is adjacent to Liberty State Park. In fact, you can't even get to Jersey City's local streets without passing large signs directing you to the NJTPK.

After passing the Turnpike's entry booths, there are very clearly-marked signs directing drivers to "Turnpike South". Assuming that the OP is aware that Edison is South of Jersey City...What could possibly be confusing about taking "Turnpike South", and then exiting from the Turnpike at the appropriate exit for Edison? And, how could it possibly take 3 hours to drive on the Turnpike from Jersey City to Edison?

If the OP chose to not take the most logical and most direct route via the NJTPK, then that would necessitate driving westward on local streets before getting on Route 1&9 South. Once you are on Route 1&9 South, all one has to do is to continue driving South until reaching Edison. While this route would take much longer than the direct Turnpike route would, I still have a hard time understanding how the trip could possibly take 3 hours.

Is it possible that the OP doesn't know that Edison is South of Jersey City, and wound up driving North as a result?

Old 08-13-2017, 08:22 AM

Toll roads are for "those people" lol....
furriners and out of state people, gives them an impression of NJ always sticking their hands into your pockets,,, which is somewhat true

Otherwise yes either the "Yank My Crank" "Turn My Pike" or US1 some of which is part of the oldest Lincoln Highway across the USA.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:36 AM

19,137 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Some additional thoughts for the OP...

In "the old days", nobody with good sense would drive into unknown territory without consulting road maps beforehand, in order to familiarize one's self with the general direction to take, as well as specific roads to look for. And, of course, it wasn't unusual to have to stop at some point in order to take an additional gander (or two) at that map. Nowadays, roadmaps provided by gas stations are becoming very scarce, but it is really easy to print directional maps from various websites. So, if somebody wants to use a roadmap, they are still available--online.

Additionally, one can print specific directions from any "Point A" to any "Point B" from a variety of websites.

If the OP's GPS isn't working, it is a very easy proposition to install Waze on any Smartphone. Waze provides extremely accurate (far better than the Google Maps app, in my experience!) turn-by-turn directions that make it virtually impossible to get lost.

If somebody doesn't have a roadmap, or hasn't taken the initiative to get directions online beforehand, or hasn't explored smartphone alternatives to a conventional GPS, then--at the very least--it is necessary to have a decent innate Sense of Direction, and--of course--to know which direction someone needs to drive in order to get from Point A to Point B.

Is it possible that the OP was expecting signs in Jersey City--and in other locales--to specifically tell him/her to "turn here for Edison"? That, of course, is not something that one would find until getting very close to one's destination. Prior to getting to that point, it is necessary to know whether one needs to drive to the North, or the South, or the West, or the East.

Last edited by Retriever; 08-13-2017 at 08:44 AM..

Old 08-13-2017, 12:37 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,028,827 times
I will say that the logos for "Parkway" and "Turnpike" are not obvious for a newcomer. Particularly since so many of them were faded when I moved here, so I could only make out a vague yellow circle. Yeah, I get it, "TP" means turnpike, but when you have to make a split-second decision to change lanes, I can't do that mental work.

In fact, there's a third logo I've seen on an exit sign --- maybe on I-80 east near Wayne? --- that I still have no freaking clue what it stands for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey