Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 02:42 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,112,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
In fact, there's a third logo I've seen on an exit sign --- maybe on I-80 east near Wayne? --- that I still have no freaking clue what it stands for.
This one I assume: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8949...7i13312!8i6656

I have no idea either, although I think I've seen it around NNJ elsewhere. My guess is it may be for the Meadowlands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 03:15 PM

19,137 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
I will say that the logos for "Parkway" and "Turnpike" are not obvious for a newcomer.

The sign for the NJTPK adjacent to Liberty State Park is a YUGE reflective billboard-type sign stating "NJ Turnpike", with an appropriate directional arrow. If motorists miss that sign, or can't interpret it, they can't be paying much attention to what is transpiring in front of them.

Last edited by Retriever; 08-13-2017 at 03:28 PM..

Old 08-13-2017, 03:55 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,594,813 times
It's simple, toll roads and major interstates go certain ways,,, you need to either know where you're going or look it up ahead of time. Only takes a minute or less using most any cellphone or pc or tablet.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
It's simple, toll roads and major interstates go certain ways,,, you need to either know where you're going or look it up ahead of time. Only takes a minute or less using most any cellphone or pc or tablet.
Yup!
Only someone who has no clue as to the direction in which he/she is heading could be truly flummoxed by road signs.

My oldest friend, from my undergraduate days, has no sense of direction whatsoever, despite being an intelligent person. Many decades ago, he had to drive from Jersey City to Toms River for a funeral. Did he consult a map and decide to take the Garden State Parkway, or even Route 9?
Nope!
All he knew was that the NJTPK goes north and south, so he took the NJTPK to Exit 4, and then took the very circuitous Route 70 Eastward in the general direction of Toms River.

That extremely indirect route added--probably--at least ~50 miles to his trip, and he complained that it took him 2 1/2 hours each way from JC to Toms River--during non-beach season.

Much more recently, he bought himself a GPS device, but because he is technology-challenged, he apparently didn't realize that he had it set to "avoid all toll roads and expressways". As a result, when he left my house, instead of going directly to I-287 South, and then the NJTPK to Jersey City/Hoboken, he followed his GPS's directions to follow exclusively local streets to New Brunswick, and then Route 1 (complete with numerous traffic lights and lots of congestion) to Route 1&9 (more traffic lights and more congestion) to Jersey City, and...eventually... to Hoboken.

If he had a sense of direction, and if he had any real idea of exactly how these roads are routed, he wouldn't have had to spend about 3 times longer on his drive than was really necessary.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:42 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,028,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
This one I assume: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8949...7i13312!8i6656

I have no idea either, although I think I've seen it around NNJ elsewhere. My guess is it may be for the Meadowlands.
Wow, nice going, that's the one. I'm sure I can live my life without knowing what it stands for, but I really don't know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
The sign for the NJTPK adjacent to Liberty State Park is a YUGE reflective billboard-type sign stating "NJ Turnpike", with an appropriate directional arrow. If motorists miss that sign, or can't interpret it, they can't be paying much attention to what is transpiring in front of them.
But for instance, when I hop on 24 east, I immediately have to choose between 78 express and 78 local. 78 local has the circular "parkway" logo, but does not have a YUGE sign that says "parkway," I believe. There are plenty of on-ramps that have only a logo and nothing more.

I'm a weird dude who does not use GPS. I have a few maps, but in practice I just look at my Google map route (phone) and memorize it. I have never had an australian voice telling me where to turn, and I never will. I prefer getting to know my surroundings.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:33 PM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervaPallasAthena View Post
Can you give us an example?
Any northeast NJ towns with signs directing you to the parkway, take you on endless tour of traffic choked streets.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:12 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,220,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
Yeah, I think it's a blue M behind an outline of the state of NJ.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:51 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,594,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Any northeast NJ towns with signs directing you to the parkway, take you on endless tour of traffic choked streets.
In some cases they send around and out of the way through the tollbooth again instead of directly on to the Parkway.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:00 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,018,320 times
I can definitely see how someone who is not from the area will get confused with our old, terrible road system here. No turns on left (jug-handles), exit-only lanes, highways splitting into three directions with poor signage, merging onto highways with no shoulder lanes and having to look behind to do so, etc.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
I can definitely see how someone who is not from the area will get confused with...No turns on left (jug-handles)...
So, you are defending the NY drivers who frequently stop in the left lane of Route 1, next to signs in English stating "NO LEFT TURN", as well as 'universal' signage with a diagonal line through the image of a left turn? Being unfamiliar with an area and not being able to comprehend signage with both English advisories and 'universal' indicators are two entirely different issues, IMHO.

If I am unfamiliar with an area, I probably wouldn't know where the best restaurants are located, but being able to read and quickly comprehend signage--regardless of the environs--is a very basic requirement for somebody who is piloting a motor vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey