Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 09:52 AM

52 posts, read 235,443 times

Advertisements

First of, I've been living in Newark for 10 years in the Forest Hills area. I've considered this a "safer" place than the rest of Newark, and haven't witnessed problems/violence/theft directly in this area until last friday night when I became a direct hit of some of the violence that has plagued this awful city.

I was walking from the Branchbrook park station on Grafton Avenue at 11pm.

I consider myself relatively street smart, but somethings you just can't plan ahead for. I was jumped from behind by a gang that I swear came out of nowhere. I was beaten under a barrage of punches and kicks to almost every area of my body, but mostly my face and head. I got kicked in the head and required a combination of stitches and staples to hold me in place. Going to have a mean looking scar! I guess I'll look tough from now on...

All that was taken from me was my blackberry and tupperware I had in my bag where I carry my lunch for work. I never carry any valuables with me. Don't even wear jewelry, rings, not even expensive clothes! It's senseless... I would have handed the stuff over, really. Why so much violence???

The reason I'm sharing this experience is mostly to attest to the violence in Newark. It has gotten worse.

I can already hear some of you saying things like 'Why were you walking at 11pm in NEWARK!'. In retrospect, there are a few things I *could* have done. Should I have called a cab, even though I live 3 blocks up from Branchbrook park station? Maybe I could have not come home as late, or I could have maybe walked with someone else... Who knows for sure!

The lesson I learned doesn't have anything to do with "getting more street smart", but a lot to do with "it's time to leave this city". It's time to stop pretending that someday Newark will get better.

It hasn't, it might never. It's worse.

The people that came to my aid after the incident were incredibly helpful and amazing. From the girl that stopped her car to hand me napkins for all the blood I was losing, to the understanding and quick acting police unit, to the Ambulance crew, and the nurses, doctors and staff that treated me at Clara Mass Hospital. I'm grateful for their sympathy, hard work, and professionalism. What amazing people I met that night!

Old 03-16-2008, 09:56 AM

342 posts, read 1,793,430 times
I am so sorry that happened to you. What a horrific experience. You should not blame yourself. You should be able to walk 3 blocks without being attacked. It is senseless. There seems to be more and more lack of consideration for human life. It is a very sad state of affairs. Again, I am sorry and I hope you are healing ok.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:58 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger_paul View Post
First of, I've been living in Newark for 10 years in the Forest Hills area. I've considered this a "safer" place than the rest of Newark, and haven't witnessed problems/violence/theft directly in this area until last friday night when I became a direct hit of some of the violence that has plagued this awful city.

I was walking from the Branchbrook park station on Grafton Avenue at 11pm.

I consider myself relatively street smart, but somethings you just can't plan ahead for. I was jumped from behind by a gang that I swear came out of nowhere. I was beaten under a barrage of punches and kicks to almost every area of my body, but mostly my face and head. I got kicked in the head and required a combination of stitches and staples to hold me in place. Going to have a mean looking scar! I guess I'll look tough from now on...

All that was taken from me was my blackberry and tupperware I had in my bag where I carry my lunch for work. I never carry any valuables with me. Don't even wear jewelry, rings, not even expensive clothes! It's senseless... I would have handed the stuff over, really. Why so much violence???

The reason I'm sharing this experience is mostly to attest to the violence in Newark. It has gotten worse.

I can already hear some of you saying things like 'Why were you walking at 11pm in NEWARK!'. In retrospect, there are a few things I *could* have done. Should I have called a cab, even though I live 3 blocks up from Branchbrook park station? Maybe I could have not come home as late, or I could have maybe walked with someone else... Who knows for sure!

The lesson I learned doesn't have anything to do with "getting more street smart", but a lot to do with "it's time to leave this city". It's time to stop pretending that someday Newark will get better.

It hasn't, it might never. It's worse.

The people that came to my aid after the incident were incredibly helpful and amazing. From the girl that stopped her car to hand me napkins for all the blood I was losing, to the understanding and quick acting police unit, to the Ambulance crew, and the nurses, doctors and staff that treated me at Clara Mass Hospital. I'm grateful for their sympathy, hard work, and professionalism. What amazing people I met that night!
sorry for your bad incident, unfortunately this isn't unusual for Newark, this should serve as a warning to anyone considering moving there. While you might be seduced by the low prices and the ghetto brigade will say how Newark is up and coming the reality is that the city is a crime and drug ridden city with many predators roaming about. Thank your corrupt liberal politicians and judges for allowing this type of place to exist

Old 03-16-2008, 10:09 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,624,105 times
Unfortunately Roger in some urban areas now they have gang initiations by beating people senseless to show themselves how tough they are. It really is the pits. I moved out of Jersey City years ago. I am fortunate enough to carry a firearm legally and enforce the law. I too was almost a victim stopped at a light and some punk walks up to my window with a knife. I wish I hit the actor when I let a round go but I missed. You have people on these forums saying things like show me records, I want to read reports, and statistics don't tell the truth. You were a statistic and I would recommend getting out of dodge. Get well soon. And the bastards that preyed on you should rot in hell because they will most likely be out tonight doing it again. Wheres Bernie Goetz the vigilante subway gunmen. When he was on the prowl crime dropped substantially in the subways.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:09 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
And Forest Hills is one of the nicer sections of town, too. That really sucks, but it's a sad statement to just how bad Newark (and most of the other "up and coming" cities around the country) really is.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:18 AM

575 posts, read 3,694,333 times
How awful this happened to you. They used the 'in numbers' surprise and over power method as this is the quickest way to render the victim helpless. I hope you heal well and your future is safe. Luckily you weren't killed.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:30 AM

416 posts, read 1,713,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
statistics don't tell the truth.
That's a straw man if you're referring to me. Statistics not telling the whole story is a different idea than statistics being false.

It's unfortunate that the OP was jumped, but that doesn't imply that crime is getting worse in Newark. And one can be jumped anywhere, and gangs are not limited to urban areas.
Quote:
Wheres Bernie Goetz the vigilante subway gunmen. When he was on the prowl crime dropped substantially in the subways.
Now that's something we can agree on. I've expressed here before that I'd like to see everyone encouraged to learn how to defend themselves better, including allowing them to carry weapons if they choose.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:34 AM

124 posts, read 583,056 times
Roger-Paul - that is horrific. Thankfully you will recover, physically anyway, from this horrible tragedy.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:40 AM

828 posts, read 3,138,172 times
RP, I hope you have a quick recovery.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:43 AM

330 posts, read 1,197,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DessertRat View Post
That's a straw man if you're referring to me. Statistics not telling the whole story is a different idea than statistics being false.

It's unfortunate that the OP was jumped, but that doesn't imply that crime is getting worse in Newark. And one can be jumped anywhere, and gangs are not limited to urban areas.Now that's something we can agree on. I've expressed here before that I'd like to see everyone encouraged to learn how to defend themselves better, including allowing them to carry weapons if they choose.
Unfortunately here in the most liberal state in the country, law abiding citizens are not allowed to carry firearms for personal protection while the criminals are armed to the teeth. The second amendment does not exist here in NJ. If it did maybe these thugs would think twice about attacking innocent victims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey