Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2018, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,995 times

Advertisements

Hello-

I live in Monmouth County NJ and am trying to figure out the cheapest way to commute to Manhattan. And if it would be worth it in time and money. I have a possibility of a job there soon and was wondering what the best way to go transportation wise. Specifically I live in Tinton Falls NJ . There is driving, rail, bus and ferry.

Look at from 2 perspectives: least cost in time, least cost in money. I don’t have any experience using the subways in NY.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 10:20 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araczek View Post
Hello-

I live in Monmouth County NJ and am trying to figure out the cheapest way to commute to Manhattan. And if it would be worth it in time and money. I have a possibility of a job there soon and was wondering what the best way to go transportation wise. Specifically I live in Tinton Falls NJ . There is driving, rail, bus and ferry.

Look at from 2 perspectives: least cost in time, least cost in money. I don’t have any experience using the subways in NY.

Thanks.
Think of the aggravation cost, have you ever comuted during rush hour?

You can take the Train locally. Drive to Menlo Park or Secaucus they have big terminals and more frequent trains.

Take the Ferry from the Highlands to just have a more pleasant commute.

Learn the NYC subway. Take the train to the city and back during rush hour just to know what you are getting yourself into.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:33 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araczek View Post
Hello-

Thanks.
Where in Manhattan? The answer depends upon that.

I commute to downtown (the house behind me is in Tinton Falls). I take the train from Little Silver. An hour to Newark by NJ Transit, 25 minutes by PATH to the WTC, a ten-minute walk.

Someone else I know who lives in Tinton Falls gets the Academy Bus at Exit 109, which goes directly down to the Wall Street area. The monthly price for the Academy bus is a little more than the NJ Transit train, but if you get Transit Chex or Wage Works or whatever they call it now, you can't use it on Academy because it's a private company.

If you're in midtown, you can take the train into NY Penn. Not sure about midtown buses because I've never used them.

The fastest and nicest way is the ferry, which costs twice as much as buses or trains, plus you have to drive to either Belford or Highlands/Atlantic Highlands.

Driving is neither fast nor cheap and shortens your lifespan. When it is necessary, I drive to Exchange Place via Christopher Columbus Drive in JC off of the 78 extension, park, and take PATH to the WTC. At times when I have a work event that's closer to NY Penn, I have driven to Secaucus Junction and taken the train into NY Penn.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:04 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,432,160 times
25 minute drive to ferry. Expensive but no traffic jams on ferry

https://seastreak.com/ferry-routes-a...new-york-city/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey