Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 10:32 AM

857 posts, read 834,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Haha, most people of that culture are gone, but way back when, the Dutch Reformed influence on that part of Bergen County ruled. There is a Midland Park Facebook page, (and Midland Park was the quintessential small Dutch town--there's still a windmill on the lawn of the municipal building) and someone mentioned that when their non-Dutch family moved in back in the 60s, a neighbor called the police on them for mowing their lawn on Sunday.

I knew you were part of this conspiracie. It’s all your grandads fault. Marco is coming to get you but don’t worry he is not going to heaven
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 10:46 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal1 View Post
I knew you were part of this conspiracie. It’s all your grandads fault. Marco is coming to get you but don’t worry he is not going to heaven
He can't catch me. I will yell "POLO" and then quickly move to another part of the pool.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:48 AM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
the citizens of Paramus have voted to keep stores closed on Sundays. Just respect it and move on. Drive to Wayne if you really want to shop that badly on a Sunday.
Well, amazon will send what you need to your door. Malls aren't helping themselves.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:29 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
OK, so this is illogical. You state a principle, which is eminently rational: "I don't think the government should be telling businesses when they can operate". So you got that right. It is absurd that we allow the government to close retail stores on ANY day, much less EVERY Sunday.

Then you are willing to trash the principle you agree with because "these laws have been in place forever". What the heck difference does that make? The laws are wrong, but you want to keep them because of the length of time they've been in place? That's patently absurd.

Then you double down. The businesses that set up shop "knew this when they decided to open, and they STILL decided to set up shop there, so they don't have the right to expect anything different now". Why the heck not? A law that is wrong is in place and CANNOT be changed because the businesses opened there agreed to knuckle under at the time in order to exist?

Blue laws amount to an illegal taking of private property. Forcing retail businesses to lose money to competitors, in a time when retail in general is under attack by Amazon and Google, which are open every Sunday in Paramus and everywhere else.

It's an atrocity that the typical American citizen living in New Jersey in 2018 has no problem with the State shutting down businesses every Sunday of the year. It's a confession of how little people truly value freedom and liberty that they put up with this.
The only thing illogical is to open a store somewhere that has rules in place, and then expect them to change their rules because you came to town. The business owners knew what the law was there, and they choose to open up there anyway. By doing so, they agreed to the rules ahead of time.

If Essex County decided to go back to instituting blue laws, I would be totally against it. The business owners in Essex Country didn’t sign up for that when they built their businesses. The business owners in Bergen County did.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:56 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
The only thing illogical is to open a store somewhere that has rules in place, and then expect them to change their rules because you came to town. The business owners knew what the law was there, and they choose to open up there anyway. By doing so, they agreed to the rules ahead of time.

If Essex County decided to go back to instituting blue laws, I would be totally against it. The business owners in Essex Country didn’t sign up for that when they built their businesses. The business owners in Bergen County did.
If the law is wrong, which it is, it needs to be repealed. The rest is a postscript. And the businesses "agreed" to nothing. Opening under tyranny is not an agreement with tyranny, or an agreement to refrain from attempting to correct tyranny.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:16 PM

343 posts, read 615,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Paramus is a shopper’s mecca-Garden State plaza, Paramus Park, and dozens of chain establishments. However malls are closed on Sundays. It’s not a problem for me but what if someone works Monday through Saturday and just needs that day of excursion to the mall? What do they do?
hell yes, this is one of the most *(#$@*(# retarded law in the country, leave it to bergen county to have it.

for people who work and come home late mon-fri, it's just plain stupid to force them to get all the weekly chores done in 1 day on sat. Every single person who visits me could not understand why are all the shops closed on sunday - on weekend when you suppose to have some time to go out and take care of the week's itemlist.

Instead my wife and i have to haul ass after work on weekdays just to get items for our baby, sometimes dont get home to have dinner until after 9 or forced to cancel all our plans sat with friends/family just to go shopping or drive extra 1 hr round trip to go outside of bergen to shop on sundays.

All because a bunch of &*()**( decided they want some "quiet" on sunday so lets just shutdown all the stores for everyone.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:22 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
If the law is wrong, which it is, it needs to be repealed. The rest is a postscript. And the businesses "agreed" to nothing. Opening under tyranny is not an agreement with tyranny, or an agreement to refrain from attempting to correct tyranny.
It is an agreement with tyranny when they have the choice of non tyranny a few miles away. If the whole state or whole country had blue laws, you could make the argument that it is not a conscious choice, but that is not the case.

If it is that bad, people wouldn’t open businesses there and everyone’s property taxes would go up, and then they may vote to repeal the blue laws. But that isn’t happening.

I am glad we have certain laws restricting business. I don’t want someone opening up a gas station next door to me on my residential street either. But I’m glad everything is open in my county on sundays.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 03-12-2018 at 12:40 PM..

Old 03-12-2018, 12:34 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,947 times
The Sunday Closing Law remains a stupid reminder from the past. It does not seem to be enforced as I can buy many of the banned items on Sunday within Bergen County. I would guess that nobody wants to strictly enforce the Sunday Law without risking a judge tossing it. It seems that it is "voluntarily" followed by many stores. Paramus has its own blue law.

Heading Out This Summer? Follow Simple Checklist To Enjoy The Season | Paramus Daily Voice

Old 03-12-2018, 01:11 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post

Precisely!
Most of us see the hypocrisy and the folly of people who buy a home next to a highway, and then demand that the state build a sound wall in order to insulate them from the din of traffic. Similarly, a merchant who decides to open a store in an area with Blue Laws, and subsequently decides that his business is being discriminated against, is just as much of a hypocrite as that homeowner.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:24 PM

414 posts, read 359,574 times
I don't have a dog in the fight, but for those I know who do (live in Bergen and /or work retail in Bergen) they appreciate the laws and for good reason:
1. It's easier for local residents to get around at least one day of the week
2. Since retail workers have so little predictability with their schedules, there will be at least one guaranteed day off every week
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey