Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 07:46 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times

Advertisements

My truck costs me $600/yr (liability only), my sportbike costs me $180 (liability only).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 08:15 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,935,683 times
I have a 2003 car with full coverage for $900 per year through Allstate.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:21 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,125,984 times
It could be high or low depending on your car, driving record, age, limit, coverage, hometown, etc.

My hubby is in his late 30s, has a perfect record and full coverage, drives a 13 yo. sports car. He pays about 600 per year in Bergen County.

You will notice that there are cars with Florida plates. Not 'cus we attract Floridians but because it's just plain cheaper to have grandpa register your car down there.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:35 PM

22 posts, read 90,983 times
Unhappy Auto Insurance

Try Allstate - Auto Insurance Quotes Online - Official Site for Car Insurance, Home Insurance, Financial Products & More

I know they will give you a quote online. It will ask your zip, your age, your model, etc....

I do question the prices though, I am paying twice what the calculator indicates even though I have no accidents, over 55, great credit, etc....

I'm sure that other insurance companies quote online also.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:06 PM

16 posts, read 112,729 times
I too am moving to NJ, and was worried about insurance rates. I have a 2005 Jetta which I got a quote of $1380 per year, which by the way is less than I paid in Delaware when I lived there!

Old 03-27-2008, 06:29 PM

48 posts, read 386,307 times
I have a truck for my business, registered commercial, and covered for every eventuality that may befall it. It's about $1,200/yr.

My wife has a Chevy Tahoe, also full coverage, it's about $1,000/yr.

That's State Farm. We have no accidents and good credit and own both vehicles.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:27 PM

393 posts, read 1,086,559 times
Default Auto Insurance

Has gotten a bit... better.
At one time of a handful of Insurers were able to operate in NJ.
Now, even Geico Ins. has options. It truly depends on type of vehicle, amount of travel to/from work, and if car is a performance vehicle/engine type.
Also, whether or not you park on street or driveway, depending on city, or location of your home/rental.
Statefarm Ins. gives us a rebate each year, but, we travel less that 30 miles to work, total, and have never had a claim.

North/Central NJ
This is an expensive are of the state to live in, please, go online and review cost of living status. In a nutshell we are paying for Educators, Borough/Municipal State, and County workers pensions,and health benefits. In addition, some municipalities have workers which hold dual job positions, of which, they can file for two retiring pensions.

It is inevitable that, our children will not be able to afford to live, work, or retire in this state.

We are leaving this State as soon as Hubby retires.

Sligogirl

Old 03-28-2008, 08:33 AM

328 posts, read 1,049,629 times
I used to live outside of Philly and took a job in central NJ back in 1998 (I was in my early 20s and had a brand new Saturn). When I moved to Somerset County, everyone at my job told me not to switch my address on my car insurance since my rates would sky rocket in NJ. I didnt' feel right about doing that even though I was already paying $2000 a year for insurance!!! I called and changed my address. Guess what? My insurance PLUMETTED to $1000 a year. I didn't change anything but my address (kept my $250 deductible). I was shocked but the insurance company told me that NYC and Philly are the most expensive places to insure cars. I guess I didn't move close enough to NYC! As of last year, it cost me about $500-600 to insure that car every year including collision ($500 deductible though)

Old 03-28-2008, 02:53 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,098,143 times
Varies dramatically based on the type of car you are driving, number of cars insured, driving record, age, etc.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:09 PM

253 posts, read 1,267,013 times
So, so many things factor in a quote. It's hard to tell. I found Encompass through this website called Auto Insurance, Car Insurance, Homeowners Insurance, Insurance Quotes, Business Insurance they go by your abstract, not your credit. This was inportant for me because I have a guard on my credit report because I was a victim of identy theft. So no one is allowed to pull my credit without my okaying it with Experian,equifax, etc., for the next 5 years.

I have a $500 dollar deductable and I still only pay $188 a month for full coverage. I will never go with an insurance company that does credit checks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey