Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 02:11 PM

31 posts, read 35,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
The costs are remarkably similar. In New York you're paying for convenience: a cab ride or metrocard fare home at any time of day and 30-60 minutes away for the most part.

In NJ you're paying for space: a yard, three bedrooms, a second bath, less concern about shuffling schools through the years, and 60-90 minutes away.
I definitely prefer the space! I just hope NJ Transit isn't a nightmare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 02:39 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,874,068 times
It will be. At the same time, the MTA will be a nightmare. And LIRR will be a nightmare and so will Metro North. Any major infrastructure that is a hundred years old is going to be a nightmare, you just want to have options for when it is. For example, I live in a town with a train line and an express bus. The train stops running (and I'm still at home or at work) and I can move to the bus.

When we first moved to NJ our only option was a private bus service, which sometimes left me with no option other than getting to Newark somehow and then calling a cab for $20, so when we looked to buy we looked for options.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:57 PM

1,110 posts, read 984,874 times
that's why people are willing to pay premium to live in the city. NJ is just not a good option if you need to have reliable commute to NYC

Quote:
It will be. At the same time, the MTA will be a nightmare. And LIRR will be a nightmare and so will Metro North. Any major infrastructure that is a hundred years old is going to be a nightmare, you just want to have options for when it is. For example, I live in a town with a train line and an express bus. The train stops running (and I'm still at home or at work) and I can move to the bus.

When we first moved to NJ our only option was a private bus service, which sometimes left me with no option other than getting to Newark somehow and then calling a cab for $20, so when we looked to buy we looked for options.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:44 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,874,068 times
The MTA has certainly failed too.

What people need is an employer that understands when train lines stop working.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:21 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:

I went to the NYC Transit Museum fundraiser gala at Jacob Javits last night. Joe Lhota had a speech on past Chairmen of the MTA (he was one in 2012) and what each had accomplished, and then he talked about the future. The phrase that stands out is that the MTA's financial outlook is "abysmal" for what has to be done.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:26 PM

3 posts, read 1,902 times
We left Brooklyn 8 years and moved to Jackson. I’m 6 mts away from 195 and I take the Garden State into NYC (1hr 15mts). We found the homes in Manalapan/Marlboro way too overpriced . Top dollar for a hunk of crap that needs to be fixed up and no property. Yards were small like Brooklyn. Homes that don’t need work are over $800k. The closer you are to NYC the more expensive it will be Go out my way, the taxes are cheaper ($10k range) and homes are more affordable and as long as you have fast/easy access to 195, you can get to the city no problem. I live 5 mts from Great Adventure . Schools are excellent too. More people are starting to realize you get more for your money in Jackson. We have new neighbors across the street from New York, nice to see my people moving out here finally

Old 11-06-2018, 08:49 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pitt View Post
We left Brooklyn 8 years and moved to Jackson. I’m 6 mts away from 195 and I take the Garden State into NYC (1hr 15mts). We found the homes in Manalapan/Marlboro way too overpriced . Top dollar for a hunk of crap that needs to be fixed up and no property. Yards were small like Brooklyn. Homes that don’t need work are over $800k. The closer you are to NYC the more expensive it will be Go out my way, the taxes are cheaper ($10k range) and homes are more affordable and as long as you have fast/easy access to 195, you can get to the city no problem. I live 5 mts from Great Adventure . Schools are excellent too. More people are starting to realize you get more for your money in Jackson. We have new neighbors across the street from New York, nice to see my people moving out here finally
Nice area, Jackson. That's not a bad commute. Do you drive in on off-hours?

Old 11-07-2018, 05:41 AM

3 posts, read 1,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Nice area, Jackson. That's not a bad commute. Do you drive in on off-hours?
I have a routine . I leave my house by 5:30am Get gas and coffee at Sunoco by 195. Drive isn’t bad. People don’t realize you can come a little further out as long as you have 195 mts away. It’s going to catch on only a matter of time. Schools are excellent . I have a child w/special needs too. There is the Jackson Premium Outlets and a new clean Shop Rite. Plenty of pediatric doctors. I have a few people in my sub division who commute into NYC.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:39 AM

31 posts, read 35,616 times
Quote:
The MTA has certainly failed too.

What people need is an employer that understands when train lines stop working.
This is true. MTA is AWFUL.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:49 AM

468 posts, read 427,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pitt View Post
I have a routine . I leave my house by 5:30am Get gas and coffee at Sunoco by 195. Drive isn’t bad. People don’t realize you can come a little further out as long as you have 195 mts away. It’s going to catch on only a matter of time. Schools are excellent . I have a child w/special needs too. There is the Jackson Premium Outlets and a new clean Shop Rite. Plenty of pediatric doctors. I have a few people in my sub division who commute into NYC.
What time do you get into the city and what time do you get home?

I imagine that you're looking at 4 hours of your day spent commuting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey