Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 07:53 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJcoolDad View Post

1. While Holmdel is emerging a great choice for money, it seems local RE market took a big hit in 2008-2011- so house prices depressed a lot more than other 3 towns - is it true? In fact higher priced homes are staying on market much longer too.
That usually just means the houses were overpriced to begin with. Basically a localized bubble that burst. I could eventually see this happening in towns like Montclair where people are currently buying homes at 100-200K over asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 08:18 AM

516 posts, read 1,005,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJcoolDad View Post
did she do it from holmdel? This is good insight as I did wonder how come at 35 miles to NYC its still adds only 10mins to final commute.

Also would love opinions from people about actual commute times from holmdel train or Bus?
Yes, she took the bus that runs along Line Rd. Bus riders in the Northwest corner of Holmdel usually take NJTransit and those on the other side of the Parkway usually take the Academy bus at the PNC Arts Center. Several coworkers took the Academy bus and said for the most part the timetable is surprisingly accurate, within 5 minutes. The problem is the last Academy bus is like 5:30 or something and if you miss it you're screwed. The South Jersey commuters I knew were on the road between 5 and 6am and 4 to 5 pm. If your work hours don't allow that, then you're going to have a bad time. The guys who couldn't get out of the office by 5 left around 8 instead.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:26 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPiggleWiggle View Post
Yes, she took the bus that runs along Line Rd. Bus riders in the Northwest corner of Holmdel usually take NJTransit and those on the other side of the Parkway usually take the Academy bus at the PNC Arts Center. Several coworkers took the Academy bus and said for the most part the timetable is surprisingly accurate, within 5 minutes. The problem is the last Academy bus is like 5:30 or something and if you miss it you're screwed. The South Jersey commuters I knew were on the road between 5 and 6am and 4 to 5 pm. If your work hours don't allow that, then you're going to have a bad time. The guys who couldn't get out of the office by 5 left around 8 instead.
On Academy, between Port Authority and PNC? The last bus leaves at 9pm and they run quite frequently between 5:30 and 9.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:45 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,458,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
On Academy, between Port Authority and PNC? The last bus leaves at 9pm and they run quite frequently between 5:30 and 9.

yes- I've taken bus after 7 myself many times. I know some of the other stops that aren't Lincroft or PNC stop after that bus maybe like LS or Oceanport stops, perhaps that's it?

Old 09-28-2018, 10:12 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
That usually just means the houses were overpriced to begin with. Basically a localized bubble that burst. I could eventually see this happening in towns like Montclair where people are currently buying homes at 100-200K over asking.
that is a good point. the first home i had in holmdel was in beau ridge, a condo community of unattached homes. there are 3 basic models of home. i remember a while back (a few years before i bought) the largest model that i took a look at was being listed for over $1 million. that was crazy. most of them sell these days for less than $800k.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:40 AM

516 posts, read 1,005,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Whoops, no it's the Wall Street Express. The one that picks people up in Newport, Jersey City? That bus was pretty amazing, like 45 minutes pretty consistently.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
that is a good point. the first home i had in holmdel was in beau ridge, a condo community of unattached homes. there are 3 basic models of home. i remember a while back (a few years before i bought) the largest model that i took a look at was being listed for over $1 million. that was crazy. most of them sell these days for less than $800k.
I think Beau Ridge has had some issues with the forced 5 figure exterior renovations and the whole burial ground thing, no? Maybe I'm mistaken and it's someplace else?

Didn't realize you moved Capt- thought you were headed to Middletown....guess it was too far from the Texas Roadhouse?

Old 09-28-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
I think Beau Ridge has had some issues with the forced 5 figure exterior renovations and the whole burial ground thing, no? Maybe I'm mistaken and it's someplace else?

Didn't realize you moved Capt- thought you were headed to Middletown....guess it was too far from the Texas Roadhouse?
the exterior renovation thing was done a long time ago. there ended up being a $30k assessment for each home and they each paid it out at $1k/month. the people who lived in my house before me paid it, i had no obligation on that (i bought end of 2009). i dont think the cemetery thing amounted to much. i stopped hearing about it after a while and now they replaced it with these giant headstones. so i dont think that is an issue for home prices.

middletown??? are you crazy? we popped in the estates at bamm hallow once and my wife said she would consider moving there. i told her that you dont move down. not to insult middletown, its a nice town but its not holmdel. our plan was then to move to the holmdel reserve. we started that process but we dont like the look of those houses and a lot of the options. then when we said something, the response was to get the cheapest and then after remove it and replace it. what sealed the deal was when we saw the baluster options on the stairs, i could tell that my wife was very unhappy about it. considering that the cheapest to get in there looks like about $1.4 million+, it just didnt seem like a good option. plus, as a real estate investment that is a very high starting point and i was very scared that it would depreciate in value.

we ended up finding this short sale in holmdel. the deal was unreal, way more house than i was looking for. definitely a great investment!

Old 09-28-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the exterior renovation thing was done a long time ago. there ended up being a $30k assessment for each home and they each paid it out at $1k/month. the people who lived in my house before me paid it, i had no obligation on that (i bought end of 2009). i dont think the cemetery thing amounted to much. i stopped hearing about it after a while and now they replaced it with these giant headstones. so i dont think that is an issue for home prices.

middletown??? are you crazy? we popped in the estates at bamm hallow once and my wife said she would consider moving there. i told her that you dont move down. not to insult middletown, its a nice town but its not holmdel. our plan was then to move to the holmdel reserve. we started that process but we dont like the look of those houses and a lot of the options. then when we said something, the response was to get the cheapest and then after remove it and replace it. what sealed the deal was when we saw the baluster options on the stairs, i could tell that my wife was very unhappy about it. considering that the cheapest to get in there looks like about $1.4 million+, it just didnt seem like a good option. plus, as a real estate investment that is a very high starting point and i was very scared that it would depreciate in value.

we ended up finding this short sale in holmdel. the deal was unreal, way more house than i was looking for. definitely a great investment!

nice- congrats- Holdmel is really a great town in general, not just the commute; the victory on the power lines was certainly a big win!! Re: Beau Ridge was just curious if those issues maybe gave the place a negative rep in the 'hood compared to other homes, obviously makes it a really good value but had heard some things about it. We looked at one point, it was on high price point for us- but wanted more yard- home we liked had like 0 yard.

Old 09-28-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
nice- congrats- Holdmel is really a great town in general, not just the commute; the victory on the power lines was certainly a big win!! Re: Beau Ridge was just curious if those issues maybe gave the place a negative rep in the 'hood compared to other homes, obviously makes it a really good value but had heard some things about it. We looked at one point, it was on high price point for us- but wanted more yard- home we liked had like 0 yard.
thanks. power lines wouldnt have really affected me but i had some friends that were freaking out about it. i remember one guy in middletown was very upset about it. it wouldnt have provided us with any benefit so im glad they were successful in shutting it down.

beau ridge was a great place to live. one great thing about it is that my monthly expenses were almost exactly the same for every month i lived there. nobody really gets much of a yard, if you have a house that backs to the woods you kind of get a little something. are you in middletown? i almost didnt post what i said about middletown because i thought that might be where you are. almost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey