Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 09:58 AM

607 posts, read 557,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush 96 View Post
People are stressed in America...period...if you live a certain lifestyle. I've seen the people who try to keep up with the "high rollers" get sucked into financial stress, but most of us don't care about what the other neighborhood has, we just want whats best for our families. If anything, theres an air of confidence here and a grit; neighborhoods have pride, wealthy and unwealthy alike, being connected to New York City and Philly have it's stresses, but definitely more advantages than stresses; all walks of life and all cultures are here in New Jersey and certain times of the year, it can get contentious, but no more than any other place. Wisdom of your environment, living right, managing your finances average to good limits that stress...

Not all studies are accurate; I have never seen more stressed out people than when I lived in Atlanta...

I think you are dead wrong here. Most people DO care about keeping up with the Joneses, and will sacrifice morally, financially, and most relevantly to the thread, mentally in attempting to do so.

Many will try to hide it and espouse "family first" views, while going into debt to live in their too-big house with their new Mercedes.

Old 10-13-2018, 12:01 PM

88,693 posts, read 85,035,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Sorry to be a busy body but why not fly?
I did, the second time I came up. The flight from EWR to Ottawa is 57 minutes. The trip by train to the EWR station from Little Silver is about an hour, plus the ten minutes to get to the station, plus the connection by AirTrain to the terminal, plus the time ahead you have to get there for security, etc. Then when I get to Ottawa, I have to pick up a rental car (which is easy because it's a small airport and you just cross the street) and then drive 2-1/2 to where I am going.

In the end, flying takes about six hours or so. Driving is 8.5 hours and I don't do it on the same day. I stop and see my daughter in Albany when she's available, for example. But I have my own car and the control and can throw as much stuff in my trunk as I want as opposed to a carry-on bag.

That's why.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:21 PM

9,016 posts, read 13,862,812 times
I personally think it is the high cost of living.

Most people are working 2 full time jobs to make ends meet,or they stay in bad marriages because they cannot afford to live on their own.

Old 10-13-2018, 06:22 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,645,096 times
Default Most people are working 2 full time jobs to make ends meet

I disagree, so you're saying that the majority of people in New Jersey work 2 jobs?

Old 10-13-2018, 07:01 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,755,535 times
A good portion of NJ folks live where hardly any diversity the min they see different ethnic folks in their area they look uneasy or concerned. Now that we have a democrat governor he may install a sanctuary city status here and cause more stress on people in the lease diverse areas.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:43 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,707,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I did, the second time I came up. The flight from EWR to Ottawa is 57 minutes. The trip by train to the EWR station from Little Silver is about an hour, plus the ten minutes to get to the station, plus the connection by AirTrain to the terminal, plus the time ahead you have to get there for security, etc. Then when I get to Ottawa, I have to pick up a rental car (which is easy because it's a small airport and you just cross the street) and then drive 2-1/2 to where I am going.

In the end, flying takes about six hours or so. Driving is 8.5 hours and I don't do it on the same day. I stop and see my daughter in Albany when she's available, for example. But I have my own car and the control and can throw as much stuff in my trunk as I want as opposed to a carry-on bag.

That's why.
WOW , thank you !

Old 10-13-2018, 08:12 PM

32,970 posts, read 36,464,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

That's why.
The real question is: Did you take your car to the full service wash this year?

Old 10-13-2018, 08:27 PM

32,970 posts, read 36,464,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
A good portion of NJ folks live where hardly any diversity the min they see different ethnic folks in their area they look uneasy or concerned. Now that we have a democrat governor he may install a sanctuary city status here and cause more stress on people in the lease diverse areas.
He doesn't like areas where there are few rentals?

Old 10-14-2018, 07:47 AM

88,693 posts, read 85,035,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The real question is: Did you take your car to the full service wash this year?
Once! I got a free car wash with an oil change. Last time I got another oil change but I didn't have time for the car wash, so they gave me a voucher for a free one. Might get that done while I'm back home for a few weeks.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:50 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,579,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
You do this once a month? All year ?

We like to drive. The car affords a freedom few other places can. And readily accessible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey