Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 10:44 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,869,313 times

Advertisements

You can do Cranford at 650K. We certainly didn't pay that much for our house that's a five minute walk from the station and ten minutes from the schools. You need a car for the grocery store though, we don't have any real ones within walking distance since Pathmark closed.

I wouldn't say trains are delayed a lot but probably once a week I get home five or ten minutes late. There is also an express bus though, having a second option is AMAZING when things go horribly awry. I would say it all depends on the transfer in Newark though. If I were going to Canal I'd probably take PATH and walk or take the subway up. Door to door a little over an hour, depending on specifics. I go up to Union Square and it's about 70 minutes.

Cranford has a six floor garage next to the train where you can park while waiting the two years for a permit to open up.

If you don't like the flooding in Millburn you're going to hate the flooding in Cranford. We basically ruled out the north half of town when looking because it was so soon after Sandy. I imagine it's much better these days but flood zones are a thing here.

We love it here, it's been about five years and our kids are doing well in the schools and it's great to walk downtown on a weeknight and find other families around the center of town. There is, of course, a direct correlation to costs and results that mean Millburn, Short Hills, Summit, Westfield, are nearly always going to be ranked higher, but we couldn't make our finances work and the community here is incredibly supportive of the educators. It's mostly because they're teachers in other surrounding towns. But at the upper end of your budget I don't think you should have much of an issue finding a home in any of those locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 03:35 PM

465 posts, read 607,523 times
If the commute to NYC is to downtown, go for Westfield. Express train to newark, then hop on the path to WTC.

If you are looking for good schools, you can’t go wrong with any of those towns. Cranford doesn’t have as highly ranked schools as Westfield and the others, but they are still good.

Someone mentioned New Providence which has a good school system and similar low crime demographics as Westfield and the others, but you won’t find a downtown like Westfield, Summit, Millburn and Cranford. Also, Westfield has many beautiful old colonials. NP has more bilevel, split levels and those new cookie cutter houses. (I’m sorry to say a few of the latter have been appearing in WF too.)

Old 03-15-2019, 10:31 AM

141 posts, read 243,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the South View Post
If the commute to NYC is to downtown, go for Westfield. Express train to newark, then hop on the path to WTC.

If you are looking for good schools, you can’t go wrong with any of those towns. Cranford doesn’t have as highly ranked schools as Westfield and the others, but they are still good.

Someone mentioned New Providence which has a good school system and similar low crime demographics as Westfield and the others, but you won’t find a downtown like Westfield, Summit, Millburn and Cranford. Also, Westfield has many beautiful old colonials. NP has more bilevel, split levels and those new cookie cutter houses. (I’m sorry to say a few of the latter have been appearing in WF too.)
New Providence is very nice. Although it doesn't have a downtown on par with Westfield, Summit, Millburn or Cranford, the town is right next door to Summit. If your on the border you probably could walk to Summit Downtown or a quick ride.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:40 PM

13 posts, read 9,881 times
Hi - you can go on niche.com for both community and school info. Chatham schools are great, so are schools in Millburn, Summit or Livingston. Livingston being the only town with no train is also very affordable compared to the other towns where the average price of close to a million dollar. Livingston has 6 elementary schools with soft borders, 1 middle and one high school, all excellent academics and diversity. You can't go wrong with any of the above mentioned areas.
If you need detailed information, pls call me on 973-556-8431. I'm a local Real Estate professional and would be delighted to provide you ith information you need (no strings attached You can also email me homesbysabs@gmail.com

All the best
Saba

Instagram: homesbysabs
Facebook: www.facebook.com/homesbysabs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey