Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 12:31 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
Well said, but having said this - where do the working poor or poor by other reasons (legit and or within the law) live?
Here’s a list for my county from a few years ago. Notice $$$$ towns who have subsidized housing.
https://www.state.nj.us/dca/division...hsg/bergen.pdf

Clearly not enough and it’s tougher than winning the lottery to get in to one or the choice developments. There are some creative solutions like shared housing and habitat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 10:38 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,017,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
It's more about overcrowding, reduced quality of life, and higher property taxes than about people obsessing about the income of the tenants. These giant developments being forced onto towns have a very small percentage of "affordable" units. I don't think it will tank real estate entirely, but it will lower values and raise taxes in all but the richest of towns.

I used to love driving through areas that had open farm land, now all I see is future row houses and apartment buildings that will one day rise in their place. I'd like to move from our town, but I will be very cautious about moving and will research every town's AH mandates and open spaces when looking for a new place.
Look at towns that buy land and designate it as “protected land” to curb over-development. I believe Kinnelon is one example doing this. Research it.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:50 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
Look at towns that buy land and designate it as “protected land” to curb over-development.
In Franklin Township (Somerset County) almost 1/3 of that 47 square mile township is now "protected" as either farmland, parkland, grasslands, or nature preserves.

Old 07-31-2020, 11:13 AM

3,430 posts, read 1,842,197 times
If they do away with affordable housing and Section 8, then where am I going to live?

Does my life not matter?

Old 07-31-2020, 01:21 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
If they do away with affordable housing and Section 8, then where am I going to live?

Does my life not matter?

My brother lives in a low income senior building, and he worked as an auto mechanic full time for almost 50 years. He lost a lot of ground when his wife left him and he had to support 2 households on a mechanic's salary for 15 years. People sometimes do their best but still need help. I think he deserves to be in a halfway decent area rather than restricted to a ghetto because no one wants low income housing in their town.

Old 07-31-2020, 01:55 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:

Does my life not matter?

Move somewhere Cheaper. You make it sound like you need Section 8. These programs are meant to help families struggling to get back on their feet. Not a permanent solution. I just talked to an Uber driver who makes 6 figures driving. He said he only took 3 months off due to the virus and business is good now. If he can work and afford to live in NJ. You should be able to as well.

Old 09-15-2020, 09:59 PM

3 posts, read 2,889 times
What if we just made the areas that are already "affordable" safe places to live with decent schools? You have neighborhoods in Jersey City with very short commutes to Manhattan full of abandoned properties (often once attractive homes) and vacant lots. It is pathetic. We should be doing literally WHATEVER it takes to make every community in the state legitimately habitable, but the political will and imagination required to do that don't exist and probably never will. Cities in the Northeast made some strides in that direction for the last few decades but we're rapidly backsliding.

Old 09-15-2020, 10:24 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:

Does my life not matter?

Wherever your income and talent will allow you. You have no business making other people pay for any part of your housing bill. You either pay for it 100% on your own steam, or you move away to a cheaper area. It it immoral for you to force other people to pay for your housing. It's really that simple.

The State should get out of the housing business altogether. Paying for your own housing is a basic expense that any adult should be easily able to handle if they make good rational decisions instead of bad ones.

Old 09-16-2020, 07:12 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think he deserves to be in a halfway decent area rather than restricted to a ghetto because no one wants low income housing in their town.
Who deserves to live in a ghetto?

Old 09-16-2020, 08:04 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
people love group homes and low income housing until they do it in your neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey